What Do You Think Of A Black Color Exterior?

Black w/ Tan here :cheers: I garage it at night. Wife parks it in a garage at work and we still get it washed every week. I like to use those cool dusters between washes and it does pretty well. Hotter to the touch? Sure. Dirt shows up more? Yup.

We've all had friends who say "but black is so dirty" to which I reply "Oh, I didn't know the dirt knew which cars to cling to". So dirt shows up easily, but you will get the dirt off quicker; not a bad way to be.

We have a mobile carwash guy who keeps the car taken car of. He's actually spotted scratches and removed them at no charge. We have touch up paint in the car that he has access to for those pesky front bumper chips. About once every 2 mos. we have him detail the inside and wax too. It helps that he's a big fan of the car and of course we tip him nicely.

This way might cost you a few bucks, but it buys me peace of mind and frees up more time for me to enjoy the car.

Just my opinion.

I have been told that once you've had black, you'll never go back. What's that? Really? We are talking about cars? Oh,.....  :censored:

Well.....

Nothing looks better than a clean, properly waxed black car. Also nothing is harder to keep looking good than black. My Cinnabar GS-430 is difficult enough to keep clean, and I wash it a minimum of once per week. If you plan on washing your car twice per month, you better get something "other than black." I do love my black interior, though.

There is one local guy who drives a black Corvette that looks good all the time. He set up his garage with drains so he can wash it inside. He told me he washes his car pretty much every time he drives it. Either before taking it out, or just after he parks it for the night.

thats from under cover brother and its regarding race lol

Can't argue about blue ;)  LOL

Regarding the clearcoat issue. I have a black 2001 and when I bought it, it had serious scratches on the trunk. It came from Nevada and looked like it was in a sandstorm and someone had dry wiped it across the entire trunk. Very noticeable and deep enough they could not be polished out using typical auto store polishes. I found a product from Langka Products that advertised a clear coat scratch remover using a wet sand technique. I was very leery of "wet sand" but my scratches were deep to consider wet sanding. It worked as advertised! It basically replaces the hundreds of deep scratches with thousands of shallower scratches. Then the polish that comes with the kit will remove those scratches so they are barely visible. This is not for the feint of heart, the first time you touch your paint with the sandpaper, you wonder if you just ruined your paint job (follow the instructions carefully!). So I can positively say that black does come with clear coat. And yes, having a black car has re-trained me on my car washing schedule. From twice a year to twice a month (at least!) but damn, it looks good!!!

On the 2006 GS300, what do you think about these 2 choices:

1) black exterior with beige interior    OR

2) silver exterior with grey interior

here are the photos:

http://www.lexus.com/models/gs/gallery_exterior_colors.html

http://www.lexus.com/models/gs/gallery_interior_colors.html

I feel that the black exterior goes well with beige interior.  The only problem is that dirt shows really easily on black exterior.  I plan to keep the car in the garage at night, and I intend to wash the car about twice a month.  Is black exterior a good choice then?

The silver exterior seems to be easier to maintain, but seems to look plain as compared to black exterior.  The grey interior doesn't seem to look as nice as the beige.

My only fear is that with black exterior, I have to constantly clean the car. 

By the way, why is it that there are much more black exterior sedans for the Mercedes, but I just don't see much black exterior sedans for the Lexus GS?

Your inputs would be appreciated.

Get the Black and put a clear film over the hood and bumper. It will stay nice for a llong time.

MOST Lexus black does not have a clearcoat, some do but not many. I've never detailed one that did.

How did you come to the conclusion it has a clearcoat?

1. It was pretty apparent that the deep scratches were not actually in the paint.

2. The instructions from Langka stated that almost all cars within the last 20 or 30 years (memory is failing me) have clearcoat.

3. When I did the wet sanding and subsequent polishing, no black residue showed up on my rags. That is probably the most significant evidence.

I guess it's possible that the previous owner had it done when they bought it, maybe the dealer was pushing the paint sealing (but normally that isn't a clearcoat).

The clearcoat is so thin that deep scratches are going to be through the clear anyways. My guess is it didn't have a clear and you just weren't removing enough paint to see a pigment. Scratches in Lexus black are very easy to remove because the paint is so soft. Clearcoat is just a layer of paint with no pigment.

As for Langka, well they're right most cars are clearcoated but there are several companies that still use single stage for certain flat colors like Black, white, red, yellow etc. Lexus black, red, and yellow are all usually single stage.

• 1 month later...

1) black exterior with beige interior OR

2) silver exterior with grey interior

I feel that the black exterior goes well with beige interior. The only problem is that dirt shows really easily on black exterior. I plan to keep the car in the garage at night, and I intend to wash the car about twice a month. Is black exterior a good choice then?

The silver exterior seems to be easier to maintain, but seems to look plain as compared to black exterior. The grey interior doesn't seem to look as nice as the beige.

My only fear is that with black exterior, I have to constantly clean the car.

By the way, why is it that there are much more black exterior sedans for the Mercedes, but I just don't see much black exterior sedans for the Lexus GS?

I have a Black/Tan GS400 and it needs to be washed at LEAST once a week even in the dry season. Dust and pollen collect quickly. I think black is one of the sharpest colors - IF - you keep the car clean and waxed. Also keep in mind when the car is older small dings, dents, and scratches will be more noticeable with a black exterior.