What Do You Think Of A Black Color Exterior?

On the 2006 GS300, what do you think about these 2 choices:

1) black exterior with beige interior OR

2) silver exterior with grey interior

here are the photos:

http://www.lexus.com/models/gs/gallery_exterior_colors.html

http://www.lexus.com/models/gs/gallery_interior_colors.html

I feel that the black exterior goes well with beige interior. The only problem is that dirt shows really easily on black exterior. I plan to keep the car in the garage at night, and I intend to wash the car about twice a month. Is black exterior a good choice then?

The silver exterior seems to be easier to maintain, but seems to look plain as compared to black exterior. The grey interior doesn't seem to look as nice as the beige.

My only fear is that with black exterior, I have to constantly clean the car.

By the way, why is it that there are much more black exterior sedans for the Mercedes, but I just don't see much black exterior sedans for the Lexus GS?

Your inputs would be appreciated.

I'm a little biased but I would definitely go with the Black exterior (and interior if you like that). While black exterior would require a little more maintenance and TLC, its well worth it when you have it shining clean and waxed...there is nothing that makes a car look more sleek than a freshly waxed black finish. But once again, I'm a little biased since I've only owned black cars for the past 7 years...but like someone said, you will have to wax and wash regularly or every little scratch and speck of dirt will show up....but boy do they look nice clean!!!

I am biased - I have a dark blue (almost black) car with a grey interior.

I dislike silver cars ( :blush: ) - so I would defintely choose the black exterior.

For the interior though - I would get either the beige or black, purely because you get the wodden steering wheel with that trim (I really wanted the wooden steering wheel, but that colour combination was hard to come by when I was looking :( )

Black is the gorgeous when it is clean (look at Mac's GS) but it does show the dirt really easy and is harder to keep clean. Crystal White is my favorite for the 06 colors and whites don’t show the dirt as easy plus they hide small scratches better. As for the interior Cashmere Perforated Leather Trim with Golden Bird’s-Eye Maple Accent (tan w/wood grain). Its a Lexus you gotta have the wood grain bro.

Black is the only way to go. It takes a little more effort to keep clean and shinny, but well worth it. This is just my opinion, but I think a black car has a better resale value if the paint is kept washed and waxed on a regular basis. But, everyone has different tastes and opinions, guess thats why they make so many diferent colors. :cheers:

Black is nice...

If you get it though, do yourself a favor and get a good detailer and let him wash it every week at least and polish/wax it every 3 months. Lexus black has no clearcoat and needs special care.

I had my apprehensions when I bought my black on black ES, but I decided to get Black, because it says so much. A black requires you to be on your P's and Q's, you MUST wash and wax your car often. When you get ready to sell it, you will be happy you did. I figured it makes more sense to get a car that will MAKE me be a conscientious owner. I love black, I plan on getting Black/Black from now on. Nothing is more classy then a clean black car! Good luck, go for the black.

• 3 months later...

B) I just bought my wife the GS 300, she was stuck on black with the cashmere interior, but we couldn't find one in stock they are selling like crazy over here in Phoenix, the dealer showed us a Flint Mica, (Metallic Gray) with the Ash interior! This combination actually caught both our eyes. We ended up with that combination and WoW with the windows tinted it looks really classy! I have a black on black Conv vette and it is very unforgiving too much work with the micro fiber towels etc. Check it out and good luck, you'll love this car.:cheers:

Black is nice...

If you get it though, do yourself a favor and get a good detailer and let him wash it every week at least and polish/wax it every 3 months. Lexus black has no clearcoat and needs special care.

Is this true lexus black has no clearcoat?If so why and how about other colors?Btw congrats on your new ride.

i have a Blue Onyx Pearl 06 GS and i LOVE it! i got mine with the beige interior and think that its looks real classy, the only thing i dislike about it is that it picks up A LOT of dust so you gotta keep it clean, but when you drive a $50k car you better keep it clean anyways.

I have a black onyx GS right now. It looks great but it is a pain to maintain it.

I hate silver, one reason is that there are too many of them out there.

My recomendation is the crystal white exterior with tan interior... That is what I'll be looking for next .

I agree, the Black Lexus paint has driven me nuts these past couple yrs. I also considered silver but honestly I dont like the Lexus silver look as much as I do on a silver BMW. I must admit, I would probably go with another Black/Black or Black/Ivory Lexus b/c ultimely its the sexiest color when clean. Go for the Black but take good care of her. When I purchase my next black car, I am going protect the front bumper (clear bra) from any chipping that may occur from highway driving. I am also going to avoid parrell parking on busy streets and I will wax my car every 3 months rather than every 6 months. I have the ivory interior now, which is a great look but expect to spend more time cleaning and maintaining the interior if you go with Ivory. Price you pay to look pretty.

I wouldn't buy a certain color because it gets dirty to easiely....Even if it is dirty, its still a Lexus!! People will just think you're a spoiled/lazy rich person.

I personally HATE silver in every way. My daugher loves it, and so does 90% of the population. Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

I aldo don't like white either. I REALLY don't like the black and gray interiors unless they're gonna be on a car that no one drives in. New, it looks great. But after a lot of use it gets cracked and looks horrible in my opinion.

just me

LexKid- In my experience detailing interiors that have been used for various amounts of mileage, for some reason grey interiors wear the worst, followed by ivory, with black looking like new the longest. I've never seen another color that resists wear as well as a black interior. I love them, always sharp and classy, never get tired of them.

Dont know why grey interiors are like that, but they are. Of course it always depends on the kind of care taken of them...

LexKid- In my experience detailing interiors that have been used for various amounts of mileage, for some reason grey interiors wear the worst, followed by ivory, with black looking like new the longest. I've never seen another color that resists wear as well as a black interior. I love them, always sharp and classy, never get tired of them.

Dont know why grey interiors are like that, but they are. Of course it always depends on the kind of care taken of them...

Does anyone know how they color leather? Is it a type of die or what?

I still think black interiors show the creases and marks in the leather the most. It's just me though LOL.

I've got a black 2001 GS300 and love it. The mention of lack of clearcoat got me interested. Is this really true?

Several months ago, I noticed some blemishes on my hood and roof that looked like water spots. I took the car to a car wash and they didn't come out. Then I took it to a detail shop and they still didn't come out. Luckily, when I bought my car I also got a warranty on the paint from Prestige Coatings (offered thru the dealer). So I called them up and explained the situation. They said it was likely tree sap or maybe some asphalt from road construction that did it. They recommended another detail shop, so I took it there. Still no luck. Finally I had to have my entire roof and hood stripped and REPAINTED to get the blemishes out. They recommended that I get my car waxes regularly to keep the sap and stuff off the actual paint. Lesson learned the hard way.

Yes, its true lol. Lexus black usually has no clearcoat.

What probably did it was the carwash. Carwashes (besides having abrasive brushes, or sometimes even more abrasive "brushless strips") use very harsh soaps and recycled water. Carwashes are extremely hard on the paint, seals, and trim of a car. The problem is made even worse when you're dealing with single stage paint.

I have been told that once you've had black, you'll never go back. What's that? Really? We are talking about cars? Oh,..... :censored:

Well.....

Nothing looks better than a clean, properly waxed black car. Also nothing is harder to keep looking good than black. My Cinnabar GS-430 is difficult enough to keep clean, and I wash it a minimum of once per week. If you plan on washing your car twice per month, you better get something "other than black." I do love my black interior, though.

There is one local guy who drives a black Corvette that looks good all the time. He set up his garage with drains so he can wash it inside. He told me he washes his car pretty much every time he drives it. Either before taking it out, or just after he parks it for the night.