Changing Engine Mounts

I would like to replace my engine mounts.

My question is...can I essentially jack up the motor from the bottom and raise it high enough to change out the engine mounts (much like replacing engine mounts for 240sx's)? If at all possible, I would like to do this, so as to avoid paying someone to do this. Which exact location would be ideal to jack the motor up from...so as to not damage it? I have a jack and jack stands...

Or do I need an engine hoist?

Just as a note, I own a SC300.

Thanks...

Dom

i jacked it up right at the tranny case but the oil pan is also very strong also. as long as you put a piece of wood in between its fine...in fact i think i did that after finding that jacking the motor up from the tranny was kind of hard.

Okay...so a piece of wood under the oil pan huh? (Obviously to help distribute the load).

Didn't think the oil pan was that strong. For SR20DETs...the oil pan usually gets crushed...that is why I didn't think jacking up from the oil pan was a good idea. Good to know...

jzz30

I found your post in this thread.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...l=engine++mount

Seems I need a 14mm universal joint and some extensions to remove the engine mount huh?

yea it really helps if you have it. at first i just had a universal joint adapter but it didnt quite do the trick so i had to just get the 14mm universal.

and when you pick up the motor be sure to look at hoses and things. in fact i might even be a good idea to just unbolt the compressor from the motor just so you dont damge those lines

• 4 weeks later...

motor mout cost i think is about 100 bucks a pop? and trans mount is about 50 bucks. most of the vibration that you can feel comes (i think) from the trans mount. where the trans smashes the trans mount and the trans vibrates almost directly against the sub mount to the chassis. plus its alot easier to change and cheaper than the motor mounts. you can seriously change it in 15 minutes or less.

do you have any idea why the vib feels more noticeable at aroung 1800-2000 RPM band?

Thanks,

motor mout cost i think is about 100 bucks a pop? and trans mount is about 50 bucks. most of the vibration that you can feel comes (i think) from the trans mount. where the trans smashes the trans mount and the trans vibrates almost directly against the sub mount to the chassis. plus its alot easier to change and cheaper than the motor mounts.  you can seriously change it in 15 minutes or less.