2006 Gs300 V.s. New Bmw 3 Series

are these cars in the same "class"?

in the UK, the IS / 3 series would be a better comparison.

Assuming I have $45K in cash and am in the market for a new 2006 car...both 2006 GS300 and BMW 330 look/perform great to me...do I buy the 330 and save some $10K or get the GS300?

Totally different classes of vehicle. The 330i is more similar to the IS and the 5 series is more similar to the GS.

The 2006 330i seems very impressive...quote from their site,

Two inline 6-cylinder engines will be available, the larger 3.0-liter version producing 255 horsepower—an increase of 30 horses over the current generation. This engine is also the first 6-cylinder to use BMW VALVETRONIC. With infinitely variable valve lift in place of the traditional throttle butterfly, this system improves both throttle response and fuel efficiency. Like previous BMW VALVETRONIC engines, the gains in both horsepower and fuel economy are impressive.

You want reliability (Lexus) or a personal first-name relationship with your service department (BMW)? And yes, I concur with the rest of the esteemed board members, they are not comparable be they are not in the same class.

As a matter of fact, the IS300 was designed with the 3 Series in mind. The GS roughly equates to the 5 Series for the purposes of comparison, but I do not believe it was conceived with the 5 as direct competition; or at least I never read or heard such a claim as I did with the IS.

Both the IS and 3 Series are considered performance sedans, sans the IS Sport Cross being the performance wagon. Yes you can get a 3 Series wagon as well. The GS is more luxury sedan as the 5 Series is more the performance sedan.

In short, having owned and continuing to service many vehicles, the German reliability (on the whole of all manufactures) is pathetic. Yes, it's easy to fall in love with the Autobahn busting Deutsche cars and difficult to gain the visceral driving experience in many other makes, but it comes down to a matter of pain and pleasure. It's a pleasure to know my Lexus will start and bring me home 99.999 to 100% of the time in which I will own it. I can't say any of my German cars ever provided the same pleasure.

You want reliability (Lexus) or a personal first-name relationship with your service department (BMW)? ...... It's a pleasure to know my Lexus will start and bring me home 99.999 to 100% of the time in which I will own it. I can't say any of my German cars ever provided the same pleasure.

Thanks very much for your thoughts!