Ls430 Laser Cruise Control

potzel1

My laser cruise control (which I got addicted to) on my 2004 LS430 stopped working from one minute to the other, I took into service and to my shock they told me that the sensor got hit by something (maybe a piece of snow or some debris on the road) and they charged me $1800 to repair it,

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar to this?

That was my argument Warranty, however the dealer said it was damage and its not covered, However there is no sign of any damage anywhere on the car so he blamed it on a pc of debris or ice.

I did hear tough that its a pretty common occurrence with this sensor so I m hoping to find more people it happened to so we can force Lexus to make some changes.

Matt- The car you posted has the pre-collision system and RADAR cruise. Lexus upgraded to radar from laser about halfway through 2004, on the cars with laser cruise the laser is down in the bottom grille next to the passenger side foglight.

They upgraded to radar because it afford better coverage and it was more resistant to damage. This type of damage is very common on the cars with laser cruise.

Matt- The car you posted has the pre-collision system and RADAR cruise. Lexus upgraded to radar from laser about halfway through 2004, on the cars with laser cruise the laser is down in the bottom grille next to the passenger side foglight.

They upgraded to radar because it afford better coverage and it was more resistant to damage. This type of damage is very common on the cars with laser cruise.

What changes did they make and when? Where can I find any information about the changes?

I'm not sure exactly when. I know for about 1/3rd of the 04 run they had the laser cruise, about a 1/3rd the active cruise was unavailiable and a 1/3rd they had the radar cruise.

• 1 year later...

I think the radar cruise control is only available with the PCS. The laser cruise control comes with the package without the PCS.

Earl

I have a 2003 Lexus LS430 Ultra, and it says Laser cruise control, but when activated, it has a car icon that displays radar cruise. I read the posts, so do I have the upgraded radar version? It doesn't make sense, because on one post, someone said it got upgraded half way through 2004. What version do I have, and is it very susceptible to damage? Thanks very much!

Ross