How Good Is Autoguard (or Automate)?

:chairshot:

OK... I know I'll catch grief for this post, but I'm wondering if the AZ dealers application of a product called "AutoGuard" (Probably similar to AutoMate on GM vehicles) is any good?

I searched the postings but could not find anything oon this subject (unless I did it wrong :( )

I just bought a 2005 ES330 (Sonora Gold Pearl). The dealer tried to get me to buy this AutoGuard product.

They claim it is a polish and paint sealant that is re-applied every 6 months. Is anyone familiar with this product? Is it possible this would take the place of the clay / polish / sealant steps and all I need to do is wax?

My 2000 Storm Gray Yukon had AutoMate re-applied every year. After 5 years, I gotta say it still looked shiny and sharp.

I know there is no substitute for the multi step do-it-yourself approach, but will this work if it was done annually and then did the manual labor 6 onths in between?

Its garbage. All it is is a low quality polymer sealant and theres no way it lasts more than 2-3 months. Take the $500-$1000 they charge that should pay for regular detailing for years...

If you keep the car clean and don't introduce marring to the paint then you can wax it regularly and won't have to clay/polish.

Its best to find a good detailer who can detail the car at least every 6 months if its light, 3 months if its dark colored if you dont want to do it yourself.

• 3 years later...
Its garbage. All it is is a low quality polymer sealant and theres no way it lasts more than 2-3 months. Take the $500-$1000 they charge that should pay for regular detailing for years...

If you keep the car clean and don't introduce marring to the paint then you can wax it regularly and won't have to clay/polish.

Its best to find a good detailer who can detail the car at least every 6 months if its light, 3 months if its dark colored if you dont want to do it yourself.

I bought that garbage and I confirm that it is garbage; actually it might be inferior to garbage. Just got my first Autoguard for my new ES350. It looks like it just had a real cheap car wash with a few hard water spots. I cannot tell that any sealant or wax was applied on this thing, but on my statement it says "Autoguard service." Any decent car wash with wax and sealant gives my car a nice shine and smooth surface finish to the touch, but not this Autoguard.

What a nice scam I got suckered in to.

:chairshot:

OK... I know I'll catch grief for this post, but I'm wondering if the AZ dealers application of a product called "AutoGuard" (Probably similar to AutoMate on GM vehicles) is any good?

I searched the postings but could not find anything oon this subject (unless I did it wrong :( )

I just bought a 2005 ES330 (Sonora Gold Pearl). The dealer tried to get me to buy this AutoGuard product.

They claim it is a polish and paint sealant that is re-applied every 6 months. Is anyone familiar with this product? Is it possible this would take the place of the clay / polish / sealant steps and all I need to do is wax?

My 2000 Storm Gray Yukon had AutoMate re-applied every year. After 5 years, I gotta say it still looked shiny and sharp.

I know there is no substitute for the multi step do-it-yourself approach, but will this work if it was done annually and then did the manual labor 6 onths in between?

Hey al, I did 6 months of research before I bought my new 08 ES UL and nowhere did I read that it was a good thing. In PA, my dealer tried to sell something called TMZ. Again, not sure if this is the same but sounds like it. Consumer reports also recommends not getting this done (not sure how you feel about CR but it is one of the several data points that I had when I said no.). Also, listen to SW03ES, he does know what he is talking about. If you want to get into detailing your own car (don't know if you have the time...I don't either but I want to do it the first time at least and maybe I will get the detailing bug). But, here is a link to a post I started since I am dumb and knew nothing...now I at least know something through the help of SW03ES (and others like detaildoc and mrburnikas). Good luck.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=45222