Oil Filter & Oil Recommendation?

Hi: This is the first time I am planning to change the oil and oil filter on my 2003 Lexus ES300 myself. Does anybody have recommendation on which oil filter to use? I was checking some websites. The oil filter prices vary from $3 (FRAM PH3614) to $11 (FRAM DG3614) and the dealer charges $12. I intend not to go to syntetic oil.

any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Ray

Hi: This is the first time I am planning to change the oil and oil filter on my 2003 Lexus ES300 myself. Does anybody have recommendation on which oil filter to use? I was checking some websites. The oil filter prices vary from $3 (FRAM PH3614) to $11 (FRAM DG3614) and the dealer charges $12.  I intend not to go to syntetic oil.

Thanks

Ray

Be prepared for 50 conflicting recommendations.

Everyone agrees that you want to use a good filter and good oil. Unfortunately, no one will agree on what constitutes 'good'.

My own 2 cents is that if you stick with a name brand oil and filter and stay away from the cheapest product in their line, maintain the engine regularly, and do not abuse it by racing, etc, you shouldn't have any problems. Any good oil and filter should let your engine last a long, long time.

Others will, of course, disagree with me and will have their own personal favorites. Their opinion is worth just as much as mine is - $0.02..

Hi: This is the first time I am planning to change the oil and oil filter on my 2003 Lexus ES300 myself. Does anybody have recommendation on which oil filter to use? I was checking some websites. The oil filter prices vary from $3 (FRAM PH3614) to $11 (FRAM DG3614) and the dealer charges $12.  I intend not to go to syntetic oil.

Thanks

Ray

well I would stay away from Fram but that is me. I would select (not in this order). Mobil, Baldwin, Amsoil, puralator, Toyota, AC delco etc to name a few.

As far as oil goes, what type are you looking for. You can get different groups of oil (hence the price delta).

With your car being a '03, I recommend staying with a Toyota filter

at least until the powertrain warranty expires. This will save you a

possible hassle from the stealer if a problem occurs. You can get

these filters online for $4-6. As for the oil, any major brand will do.

Be very sure you use the viscosity recommended in your owners

manual. My personal favorite filter for over 20 years is Wix.

Thanks

Ray

Be prepared for 50 conflicting recommendations.

Everyone agrees that you want to use a good filter and good oil. Unfortunately, no one will agree on what constitutes 'good'.

My own 2 cents is that if you stick with a name brand oil and filter and stay away from the cheapest product in their line, maintain the engine regularly, and do not abuse it by racing, etc, you shouldn't have any problems. Any good oil and filter should let your engine last a long, long time.

Others will, of course, disagree with me and will have their own personal favorites. Their opinion is worth just as much as mine is - $0.02..

he's right. Rule of thumb for me-> it doesn't need to be the best stuff, but it shouldn't be crap either. I use a $4 fram filter and mobil oil. I change it (or try to) about every 3,000 miles. I don't beat on the car and i don't use it to tow stuff. THere are no mountains here, so I 'm ok there to.

Not alot of stop and go traffic either.

stealership=sold soul to the devil

ford212.809: where can I get the toyota filter for $4-6? On the Toyota's website?

Thanks

Ray

at least until the powertrain warranty expires.  This will save you a

these filters online for $4-6.  As for the oil, any major brand will do.

manual.  My personal favorite filter for over 20 years is Wix.

ford212.809: where can I get the toyota filter for $4-6? On the Toyota's website?

Thanks

Ray

at least until the powertrain warranty expires.  This will save you a

these filters online for $4-6.  As for the oil, any major brand will do.

manual.  My personal favorite filter for over 20 years is Wix.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist.asp?Su...D=41&ModelID=90

Hi: This is the first time I am planning to change the oil and oil filter on my 2003 Lexus ES300 myself. Does anybody have recommendation on which oil filter to use?

Most Asian cars like your ES300 are about twice as reliable and durable as most American and European cars, especially if they are maintained using factory original Asian parts, fluids, lubes and filters. The correct Asian (Denso) filter to use in your '03 ES300 is Toyota part # 90915-YZZD1. The parts departments of Toyota dealers carry this filter for about $6.00 and

they are sometimes on sale for $4-5. 1sttoyotaparts.com will sell any Toyota part for 28% off

which means the 90915-YZZD1 will cost even less than $4

The 1MZ-FE engine in your ES300 is identical to the 1MZ-FE engine used in the '03 Toyota Camry

so you can buy filters, fluids and most parts for your ES300 from Toyota dealers.

when I bought the car, i took it to a friends dad, and he used quaker state oil, and he said its good, and that i should check it after like 2k miles to see how clear it is. and what do you know, after 2k it looked very clean, (this dont mean that all cars will be like that because in my old cars most other brand oils were dark after 2k,) but quaker state seems to be clean in the lexus. But i bet that mobil/castrol etc will be clean in newer lexus as well. But from now on I will be using regular quaker state till I see something better, or something that will convince me otherwise. ON filters I am not sure, but i think any filter will do if you keep changing it in the 3k mile range. good luck