Navi Updates

LinuxFan

Anyone knows?

The one in my 98 LS400 vehicle shows a date of 1998 and I would like to (don't really need to) update it to the currently available update but don't want to and then find out the day after that a newer update is available.

Are they still updating these hard drive based systems anyhow? Or is the 2003 the last and final year?

With the price and size of hard drives these days, it should not be too difficult to get the DVD on a hard drive -- but who will do it? Any business minded people out there want to jump on this? For Me? :lol:

Recent Lexus/Toyota Nav DVD's are sometimes for sale on eBay - I saw one today with a disclaimer that it is not compatible with older Lexus/Toyota DVD-based Nav systems. You could buy one of these DVD's and take a look. And remove your Nav hard drive and see if there is any way to hook it to a PC. I would be surprised if the data were not embedded in the software on both the hard drive and DVD systems and incompatible with each other.

I wonder what percentage of 98-00 LS400's sold in the U.S. had Nav. Of probably 20 98-00 LS400's I've seen since just before I bought my 00 in 2003, only one had Nav. I think SW03ES said that Nav equipped LS400's are a lot more common on the east coast. Probably not that many people here in the central U.S. need Nav to find their way from pasture to pasture.

Yes... and maybe not a lot of people here have navigation either.

Anyway, this did not answer my question. Maybe I will ask Lexus, if they plan new updates for the 98 model year LS400 navigation systems, or are they done updating that.

On that issue -- and I maybe should start a new thread: but are you aware that Lexus is giving free DVD updates on the latest models? There seems to be some error that this new update corrects. Ask your dealer about it.

Back to my nav now.

I hear it is not compatable with the 98 -- the DVD ones that is, so I was not thinking of doing it myself, I don't have the know how. It would be interesting to see the hard drive though and maybe figure out a way to change it or something.

There is only a replacement for the ones that are in the 98LS, there is no update per se. It is required that we swap the hard drive out with the new one. I don't see any where that they require you to send the old one in (like a core) so I might be able to fiddle with it.

I am thinking, if we can figure out the connections we might be able to leverage it to our benefit; meaning we might be able to seperate the new software from the new hardware and maybe have a backup so if the drive goes down we still have the software backed up, like smart computer people do.

What you think?

Is the hard drive propriatary or can I just get it from someplace else, connect it to some hardware and transfer the data to the new hard drive. I hope it is possible... some who has done it needs to confirm my thinking. one way or another.

thanks

Why don't you just pop out the hard drive and see if it is proprietary or a standard hard drive interface like IDE, SCSI, USB or PCMIA. My suspicion is that it is proprietary and that the software and data are not separate but combined in "object code" as they are for most highly specialized devices. Is the Nav hard drive in the Nav ECU in the right rear of the trunk under the pop-up floor panel where the Lexus phone transceiver also goes?

I don't think my repair manual covers removing / replacing the hard drive but I will check.

Thanks...

That is what I figured as well that it is limited some how -- if not then I can hardly believe that no one has thought of doing/has done this before.

I will check it out as soon as I get a chance. Let me know what you find -- I will take a pic or two of it and post it so others can see where it is in the 98 LS400 and how to take it out at a minimum. :-)

The very brief instructions on how to remove the Nav hard are in one of the two repair manuals for my 00 LS. All you have to do is remove the Nav ECU by removing the three bolts holding it to the floor in the right well of the trunk. Remove the two screws and little cover over where the hard drive slides in. Pull the hard drive out. The manual includes a caution about being gentle. Looks easy but who knows? I can scan the page if you run into problems.

It has been only a bit over a year since the last Nav update so I doubt if not having a newer update is an issue yet for very many owners. Lexus has not been particularly sensitive about providing service for some features that were not widely sold. For example, support was dropped for its dealer installed phone systems while the some cars having them were still well within the basic warranty.

OK. If you have the time please scan it. I know it will help me and possibly others who come after me.

thanks

I had hoped to get a look at it over this long weekend, but you know how that goes -- the wife wins,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Nothing happend as yet.

I haven't had any time to look at it.

I just bought a 98 LS400 with Nav and it is DVD based. It has been upgraded once by a previous owner because it says the version is current as of 2000. I too am looking into upgrading the DVD so any info anyone gets would be most appreciated. I will be calling the dealer to get specifics so I can see if the DVDs on ebay are compatible.

• 6 months later...
Nothing happend as yet.

I just bought a 98 LS400 with Nav and it is DVD based. It has been upgraded once by a previous owner because it says the version is current as of 2000. I too am looking into upgrading the DVD so any info anyone gets would be most appreciated. I will be calling the dealer to get specifics so I can see if the DVDs on ebay are compatible.

I am curious as to know if you actually have a DVD based system, or the "Hard Disk" based system standard in 1998 nav systems.

Nothing happend as yet.

I am curious as to know if you actually have a DVD based system, or the "Hard Disk" based system standard in 1998 nav systems.

If you have a 98 nav then it is harddrive driven NOT dvd, Guaranteed 100% The last harddrive update was for 2003. Some good hacks can upload the current dvd update onto the harddrive but that is a hay colored needle in a haystack. If your 98 has a dvd based computer then the nav has been upgraded to a newer year.

• 1 month later...

i have a 98 ls. the nav system is a hard drive. i upgraded (swapped out) the drive for about 250 bucks from the lexus dealership. easy to swap out. my problem is i still can not type in any local cities. i live in augusta ga. the only augustas that pop up are in nj and nh. if i go to points of interest i can type in augusta and can find different places but cant type in specific addresses. if i am out somewhere and hit home it will take me right to my drive way. any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 98 ls. the nav system is a hard drive. i upgraded (swapped out) the drive for about 250 bucks from the lexus dealership. easy to swap out. my problem is i still can not type in any local cities. i live in augusta ga. the only augustas that pop up are in nj and nh. if i go to points of interest i can type in augusta and can find different places but cant type in specific addresses. if i am out somewhere and hit home it will take me right to my drive way. any suggestions?

You need to change the sector of the country you're searching in...

• 1 month later...

I ordered the newest HD spdate about a week ago. I was told it was just put out and that it would be the last update available for the HD sustem. I have a 99 LS400 with 30500 miles. I plan on driving this car for a long time. To bad I won't be able to upgrade again in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my car in to have the 30k maintanence done. They said there was a $400 core charge on the new navigation hard drive. They installed the hard drive for free and what a difference. I had the origional dated 1999 in it and now I have a lot more map detail for my area. I'm glad I did the update because it makes the navigation system much more useable. They said this is supposed to be the last update and it had roads that were in existence up till the beginning of 2005.