Road Trip

Grandpa

Well, I live in Missouri and I want to take a roadtrip to Texas this friday(about 900) miles and I was wondering if it's a good idea to take my '92 LS400 with 200,000 miles on it? It has lots of room and stuff, but I don't want anything bad to happen to my car for driving long distances.

Is it a good idea or not?

BTW: I'm 16 so we can't rent a car

Well, I live in Missouri and I want to take a roadtrip to Texas this friday(about 900) miles and I was wondering if it's a good idea to take my '92 LS400 with 200,000 miles on it? It has lots of room and stuff, but I don't want anything bad to happen to my car for driving long distances.

Is it a good idea or not?

BTW: I'm 16 so we can't rent a car

if you are 16 why is your name grandpa?

if you are coming to TX, which city?

Of course it's a good idea; that's what these cars are best at. I'd check your tire pressure, make sure your fluids/filters/wipers are up to date, get some Shell V Power, and enjoy the trip. I'm jealous-I'd love to go take a 2k mile road trip in my LS! :D

Of course it's a good idea; that's what these cars are best at. I'd check your tire pressure, make sure your fluids/filters/wipers are up to date, get some Shell V Power, and enjoy the trip. I'm jealous-I'd love to go take a 2k mile road trip in my LS! :D

be nearly 16k when you come for the meet wont it?

the LS's specialty is cruising. I will bet money on the fact that if its maintained, you will not have an issue.

To my opinion, it is always ok to use any Lexus on any long trip. Only problem, if you don't know the area (meaning you might encounter tight places or bad sides of town) and are very meticulous about dents and scratches, not a good idea(my opinion). B)

To my opinion, it is always ok to use any Lexus on any long trip. Only problem, if you don't know the area (meaning you might encounter tight places or bad sides of town)  and are very meticulous about dents and scratches, not a good idea(my opinion).  B)

aint that the truth. my lex has a 36.1ft turning circle...we have an F150 that turns tighter than that!

To my opinion, it is always ok to use any Lexus on any long trip. Only problem, if you don't know the area (meaning you might encounter tight places or bad sides of town)  and are very meticulous about dents and scratches, not a good idea(my opinion).  B)

aint that the truth. my lex has a 36.1ft turning circle...we have an F150 that turns tighter than that!

what i really meant was that maybe the area is tight (meaning that every time you park, the next car's door touches your door, etc.) and that if you've really kept your Lexus really clean (fairly clean of scratches and dents), you really don't want to start having them because you took it somewhere you didn't know the area.

Take this one for example. Last year I went to Vancouver Canada from Fresno CA. Now my issue was to either rent a car, or use the GX. Well I decided to rent an SUV, which turned out to be a good idea. Parking slots at hotels and stop overs along the way were kinda questionable. Now here's what really scared me. I took the ferry boat to Victoria Island so i took the rental Montero with us. What i really didn't know about the ferry was that they were designed for small compact cars, not the big !Removed! modern SUVs. When I drove in there, everyones' doors really had to rest on the other car or otherwise it was impossible to get out of the car (especially those in SUVs). That was only one example of unexpected "bad thing (to me)" and was really happy I rented a car instead.

But hey, it's up to the person's choice if they want to take their Lexus on long trips or not. All I can say is, any Lexus, any model, any age, will last all the way until you get back home! :cheers:

speaking of long trips, I have finally decided to rent an SUV again this year with my grand driving trip from Fresno, CA to New York (roundtrip, woah!) . Since we were talking about this, how's the area in New York, a lot of fender benders??? besides, I know my GX can handle the whole trip, except my 2nd problem would be

OIL CHANGE!!

it's, i think, 3 or 4k miles from Fresno to New York. so that tells me that along the way sometime, i'd be needing an oil change. that also concluded my decision that go for a rental car (anyways since the rental companies don't have them oil changed religiously) and also Tire Rotation.

Wow, what a grand trip this is going to be! :) ;)