Replacing Stereo/speakers

hey, i am a new lexus owner, i am blessed with a 1992 ES 300 and am disappointed in the quality of the stereo sound. does anyone know about replacing the stereo itself and the speakers? the face of the factory stereo is an odd size and shape so i cannot just place a new one in....any ideas?

i went to crutchfield.com to look for speakers, i think i ended up with a total of $650 to do it myself. (including reciever, 4 speakers).

right now i am just trying to find a owners manual for sale, couldn't find one on ebay this morning.

like i said, i am new to this. my bestfriend sent me to that site (he's got experience putting in speakers and such). it is just hard for me to understand what i am looking for in this car. i just want to replace the rear and door speakers and i guess the stereo receiver.....which means all the wiring too. i am trying to match everything up so i don't blow something (wattage matching?) i just worry that i will destroy whatever i try to put into the car.

I'd suggest that you should just replace your speakers first - go to a good audio shop and get the biggest ones that will fit in the holes. As an example, I replaced the stock 4inch speakers on my GS with 6.5 inch ones (and new tweeters). The improvement in sound quality is astonishing - didn't touch the head unit at all (which would have been tricky because of the satnav touch screen)

i was told that if i was going to replace it, just replace it all at once (if they don't match it wouldn't work and i do not plan on having to go back for more and more parts just to get it to work right.

also i had found infinity kappa 692.5 i 6 x 9 2 way. ($200)

i can't remember the 6 x 1/2 '' ones i found.

i really don't know that much about cars, never have and i just need someone to go with me to a darn store and find what i need, but alas, everyone is busy.

i mean, i know i need to have the speakers fit the car, but i do not know what that means or anything...

how much would it cost to have someone put the darn things in? i just don't know what to do.

I had the same concerns with my stereo in my ES, but it didnt really bother me until i blew one of the front speakers. They are 6.5 inch, which is fairly common, but the bad part about it is that they only recieve bass input, due to the stock amplifier. Not knowing this, i went to Best Buy and bought a set of Pioneer 6.5 inch two way speakers. I put them in, and they sounded worse than the stock ones! What im gettin at is that in order to get better sound quality for the front speakers, you're lookin at a lot of money. The only ones i found that i was told would even be comprable to stock sound were polk audio or other such expensive brands, and i dont know about u, but i wasnt willing to spend that much. I would suggest just going with some really good 6x9s in the back and maybe a head unit and leave the front alone. Or, you could do like i did and install some subwoofers and run them off of the rear speakers and leave the rest alone! It certainly sounds better, and still has that clean Lexus look to it

hey, i am a new lexus owner, i am blessed with a 1992 ES 300 and am disappointed in the quality of the stereo sound. does anyone know about replacing the stereo itself and the speakers? the face of the factory stereo is an odd size and shape so i cannot just place a new one in....any ideas?

first and easiest question

is what do you not like about the system

volume

definition

clarity

bass

find what you want then get what you need

ok, so i am taking to now audio video and paying someone to replace the main 4 speakers and the reciever. i am just going to leave the little 4 speakers alone and disconnect them.

rather spend money and have it work.

and it's everything about the stereo. just listening to it makes my head hurt. and i want a cd player. i am moving from a 99 camry to a 92 lexus, so basically i want the sound i had in the camry, but in the lexus.

but right now my problem is the check engine light. there is something wrong with the car.

every time i start it for the first time of the day, Lexi doesn't respond to pressure on the gas pedal for a few minutes. it is like he is pinned up against a brick wall with a block under the pedal. he just won't go.

anyone heard about this? mayb i should make a new thread.

Lexi is at the shop this morning. i wasn't able to check the forum until just now so i didn't see your message about the hose.

my dad said something about a temp gauge for some sort of cooliant (he may know what he is talking about, but then again, he also told me the camry was a 5 speed automatic, eh)

Hey, I also saw earlier in this thread you were looking for an owner's manual. If you go to Lexus.com, you can get them sent to you for free. I got one for my 1996 ES 300 just a week ago and it was brand new and FREE! ;)

wow! im surprised to hear your opinion about the stereo as comparted to a 99 Camry! we had an 03 as a rental for a while, and the only thing I thought it had up on my 93 when it was still stock (i now have 2 10's) was bass, but hey- to each his own! hope youre happy with your new setup. what'd you get anyhow?

so i went to the store today to check it out.

guess what. i realized today that i am poor.

i had a big fight in the store and left. damn amps are 500 dollars or more. my friend first told me i didnt need an amp and know he's saying i do need one. it is going to cost at least $1000 just for parts, and thats if i get a free head unit.

i just don't know what im doing.

i guess im just going to be copying cds to tapes for about 7 YEARS. *grunt* i think im just going to put my money into my bicycle and ride that around.

and my car is in the shop for an extra day so they can make sure they know what's wrong with it and so they can replace the antennea (broken antenna over a new stereo..what was my dad thinking.)

hopefully i can get a few salvaged parts from friend's cars.

i just don't know what to do now :( :angry: :chairshot: they need a face that is sobbing too

here's what i plan on getting:

Pioneer TS-A1670R 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 3-Way Speakers

Rockford Fosgate FRC4269 6"x9" 2-way Speakers

Pioneer GM-X374 35W x 4 Car Amplifier

Pioneer DEH-P3500 CD Receiver

StreetWires PS10RI 10 gauge Amp Wiring Kit Red with Patch Cable

they don't have harnesses for the 6x9 or the head unit for my car.