Only 136 Miles - Check Engine+vsc Off+vsc Trac

steve_n

Bought a '05 GX470 two weeks ago with 17 miles. After about 120 miles in two weeks, when I started the engine today, the CHECK Engine, VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights came on and stayed on. Tried restarting and driving a short distance and the same. I am going to call the dealer but has anyone encountered similar situation?

Thanks,

Steve

Bought a '05 GX470 two weeks ago with 17 miles.  After about 120 miles in two weeks, when I started the engine today, the CHECK Engine, VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights came on and stayed on.  Tried restarting and driving a short distance and the same.  I am going to call the dealer but has anyone encountered similar situation?

Thanks,

Steve

My dad bought a 05' GX470 yesterday, and my sister started pushing all the buttons, RSCA, Height Control, etc.. and now we have two lights turned on, VSC OFF and I can't recognize the other one, the thing is that now the SUV is like braked, and we don't have the owner's manual, my dad says the dealership guy has it, so we don't know how to solve the puzzlem can anyone help? :(

FranklinGonz, Sounds like your center differential lock is on. With the engine running push the button in front of the shifter it is the one just to the right of the 12v/120w power outlet. wait a few seconds and the light should turn off. Do not drive on dry pavement with the center differenal locked.

If the lights dont go out try backing up and driving foward a few feet as the four wheel drive system can get in a bind.

FranklinGonz, Sounds like your center differential lock is on. With the engine running push the button  in front of the shifter it is the one just to the right of the 12v/120w power outlet. wait a few seconds and the light should turn off. Do not drive on dry pavement with the center differenal locked.

If the lights dont go out try backing up and driving foward a few feet as the four wheel drive system can get in a bind.

same thing i would say, except the CHECK ENGINE light. maybe loose gas cap???? :unsure:

FranklinGonz, Sounds like your center differential lock is on. With the engine running push the button  in front of the shifter it is the one just to the right of the 12v/120w power outlet. wait a few seconds and the light should turn off. Do not drive on dry pavement with the center differenal locked.

Thanks, it's working like a charm, i look like a newbie on the GX the brakes are too sensitive in comparison to the 04' CR-V my mom has. What about the Rear Audio panel? i connected a Headphone and it doesn't work, do i have to configure it? The GX comes with the standard RDS audio system. :wacko: well now I inherited the 97' 4runner my dad had. it's SR5 pretty uncomfortable. :blink:

Oh forgot, where can i find a virtual owners manual in case it got lost, or something. :S

Thanks, it's working like a charm, i look like a newbie on the GX the brakes are too sensitive in comparison to the 04' CR-V my mom has. What about the Rear Audio panel? i connected a Headphone and it doesn't work, do i have to configure it? The GX comes with the standard RDS audio system. :wacko: well now I inherited the 97' 4runner my dad had. it's SR5 pretty uncomfortable. :blink:

Oh forgot, where can i find a virtual owners manual in case it got lost, or something. :S

did you check the remote if the rear audio to see if the "seal" is removed??? at first, take the remote out of the plastic, and go to where the battery is located and pull the tape out. That should make it work.

Bought a '05 GX470 two weeks ago with 17 miles.  After about 120 miles in two weeks, when I started the engine today, the CHECK Engine, VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights came on and stayed on.  Tried restarting and driving a short distance and the same.  I am going to call the dealer but has anyone encountered similar situation?

Yes. I bought my '05 in early February and it has a little over 2000 miles on it. Last Monday, the same thing happened to me. I took it to the dealer, and they said that the gas cap was loose. Funny, because I hadn't filled the tank in several days. They reset things and I went on my way. Well, Friday, the lights came back on (I still hadn't touched the gas cap since before the first incident). I've now got an appointment Monday morning to have them look at the car again. Needless to say, I'm now not happy about it.

Mark

Yes. I bought my '05 in early February and it has a little over 2000 miles on it. Last Monday, the same thing happened to me. I took it to the dealer, and they said that the gas cap was loose. Funny, because I hadn't filled the tank in several days. They reset things and I went on my way. Well, Friday, the lights came back on (I still hadn't touched the gas cap since before the first incident). I've now got an appointment Monday morning to have them look at the car again. Needless to say, I'm now not happy about it.

Mark

Thank you for sharing this Mark. I left the car with the service department of the dealership yesterday and will know the verdict today. I will post a follow up.

Thanks,

Steve

Mark

I also got the same diagnostic, that it was the loose gas cap. Told them that I haven't put gas since I bought it more than two weeks ago. They said that is what the check came up and reset the system warnings. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t come on again!

Mark, can you post what you find out the second time?

Thanks,

Steve

It seems strange that Lexus would shut down the VSC because of the gas cap! The PCM is checking to see if the fuel tank can contain evaporative emissions “ Federal Law” but I don’t understand the strategy of tying it to the VSC system.

Here's an update. The dealer had my car from Monday morning until this afternoon (Wednesday). They tore it apart looking for leaks, removing the rear drive shaft, spare tire and other things. What they found was a very small leak in the charcoal canister, which they replaced. They said they've never seen a leak there before.

So hopefully that's it. Fingers crossed.

Mark

I had the exact same problem with my 2 week old GX - Check Engine and VSC lights came on - took it to the dealer and they told me it was the gas cap was loose. The same lights came on again two days later and took it back to the dealer - they kept it for a few days and discovered the same problem as yours - small hole in the charcoal cannister. They must have gotten a bad batch from the manufacturer. I'm glad it's fixed and it was nice having a free loaner while they worked on it.

Clark

Do you guys get loaners while your car is in the shop?

I had the exact same problem with my 2 week old GX - Check Engine and VSC lights came on - took it to the dealer and they told me it was the gas cap was loose.  The same lights came on again two days later and took it back to the dealer - they kept it for a few days and discovered the same problem as yours - small hole in the charcoal cannister.  They must have gotten a bad batch from the manufacturer.  I'm glad it's fixed and it was nice having a free loaner while they worked on it.

Clark

• 8 years later...

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I find it odd that I had this issue happen to me twice. The first time around they said that some sensor was dirty so they "cleaned" it. The second time around (2 weeks ago) they said it was a faulty gas cap. I only have 77k miles on my 2003 GX.