92 Es. Try And Fix Or Just Sell It?

Been looking around the forum for 30 minutes now but just wanted a thread with all the questions answered. :P Sorry.

I bought it not too long ago for 4500 Cash. Its been pretty good. I had to get the Axle boots replaced and I did the front and back brake (they still sqeak). The rotors seem pretty smooth too.

I read alot of people having issues and saying the 92's aint too good since they have overheating problems. I havent had an overheating problem but the car doesnt feel right.

When accelerating from a stop the car feels underpowered. It starts picking up nicely after 3rd or 4th gear. When I accelerate and it gets past 3000 rpms it has a vibration and you can hear it. Its hard to explain how it sounds like. Its not alarming, but it makes me wonder.

Since I have had it I havent changed the sparks or the fuel filter. Can those be the culprits? I doubt they would be for the vibration. If its my suspension, is it costly to replace the suspension system?? My headlights are fogged to hell but still work.

I have 126K Miles on it and only thing ive done since i bought it was change the oil. are repairs needed and what can you recoomend from what i've described? would it be easier to sell it and maybe get my hands on a 94-95?

does the 92 have any advantages over some of the newer models? also what are my choices with wheels? im planning on 16's or 17's. what are the right wheels dimesniosn to make them look and feel right? thanks so much :)

Alizerothree,

With those miles on the car, and its age, I'd advise changing out the fuel filter, air filter, and the spark plugs, as well as either having the intake system professionally cleaned, or adding fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank for each of the next three tanks of fuel. That may correct all of your jerking at high rpms and lack of giddy up at low throttle. A check of your engine computer codes may identify any other areas that need a quick tweak as well. As for your not having overheating problems, ensure you won't by flushing and refilling the cooling system with new antifreeze. While you're at it, flush and refill your brake fluid with fresh fluid, and get your tranny fluid and filter changed. The ES300 is pretty bullet proof, as long as its not abused, and gets regular maintenance. You bought it right, and with just doing what I've suggested here, you should have more than a few years of very trouble free driving. I sure wouldn't unload it, without giving the car a chance by doing the maintenance suggested.

As far as changing your wheels, I like the ones that came on the car just fine, but that's me. Get the car running right first, then decide if its wise to spend dough on its appearance. I'm sure that the other guys on this forum can suggest which wheels to go with.

Good luck!