Would Anyone Pay $14k For A 95

Jeff

Driving down the road today and saw a pearl white 95 SC400 sitting on a new car dealerships lot. Now I know that 98% of the time, these cars are real used when I stop and look. Today, Wow, what a cream puff and surprise. I asked for a price and the salesman says $16000. I said your nuts. The car was pearl, perfect, and loaded with 51K miles. They said $14000 was the bottom. Will they get this kind of money for this car ??? Is there any way this car is worth that kind of coin ? Let me know what you think.

I bought a '95 SC400 for 10K today. It has around 60,000 on it. They are reputed to last up to 250,000 miles if properly cared for. (It costs more to care for a car like this though.) The durability factor and absolute knockout style and power of this car were the big factors in deciding to buy it. I actually traded in a '97 base Firebird coupe (140,000 miles) for it and only got $3000 for the 'bird, which is a high trade-in value for that car. High-end cars with a rep for durability just hold up better pricewise.

Driving down the road today and saw a pearl white 95 SC400 sitting on a new car dealerships lot. Now I know that 98% of the time, these cars are real used when I stop and look. Today, Wow, what a cream puff and surprise. I asked for a price and the salesman says $16000. I said your nuts. The car was pearl, perfect, and loaded with 51K miles. They said $14000 was the bottom. Will they get this kind of money for this car ??? Is there any way this car is worth that kind of coin ? Let me know what you think.

Well,

i can tell you what the insurance paid for mine when it was totaled about a month ago. 95 SC400, white, with 240k miles on it. The other guys insurance paid me $12,000 for it. This should be a good estimate for 'wholesale value'

I paid $14k for my 95, just about 6 months ago or so. It is in immaculate shape, owned by some old guy that only put 14k miles on it the last 7 years. Total mileage was around 46k when I bought it. They too were asking $16.9 at first. They replaced the valve cover gaskets, PS pump and brakes, included in that price. The owner had traded it in for a new BMW (attached to the Lexus dealership here).

I'll have to say, I've started looking at it like a piece of art. There is very few of these body styles with no problems and low miles. I still say $12k would be strong price and I offered that, but they said they had more than that in it. They also had one of the nicest 96 LS400 I've ever seen for $16k. The owner of this Chrysler dealership likes to drive an older Lexus vs. anything in his whole line up and has been driving the LS for over a year. Both cars are exceptional. The LS has 64K miles and the sticker was $64k in 96. Most loaded I've ever seen. Thanks for the help, Jeff

Some have reported acceleration hesitation on the '95 model. I think you can do better price wise. Check Ebay and autotrader.com to see what similar cars are priced at. Whatever you end up buying, have lexus check it out for $90 and give you the lexus service history and get the carfax history even if it looks mint. The 1996 has a slightly more powerful engine up 10hp from prior years to 260hp and the 1998 got a bigger engine upgrade to 290hp. Good luck..... :cheers: