What You Think Of That Clear Sidemarker

should i stay stock orange or change to clear on my gs, where can u get those anyway? easy to change?

what colour is your GS?

On dark cars - I dislike the orange.

lighter cars can get away with it

yea mines is black, maybe i should get that cleat one, just saw a pair on ebay for like 40 plus shippnig (gzzzz) i duno it isnt that serious

$40? That seems a bit high. There should be some on eBay for $10-15 which works out to about $20 shipped, sometimes less.

These are not very high quality so it really does not matter which to get.

Go clear. It really makes the car look cleaner. Here is some pics of mine each way. I got mine on eaby for around $20 shipped. Easy to install it took me around 30 mins for both. I went under the plastic underbody. Just unscrew it and then you will have access. Make sure you read the description though, some come with bulbs and some dont. I paid alittle more in shipping for mine but they came with amber bulbs. check here for auctions on EBayMotors search here!

post-11139-1111674450_thumb.jpg

post-11139-1111674477_thumb.jpg

I went under the plastic underbody.  Just unscrew it and then you will have access.

For the US cars, you can also get to the sidemarkers through the foglight opening. Just take the fogs out and reach in. :)

• 3 weeks later...
For the US cars, you can also get to the sidemarkers through the foglight opening.  Just take the fogs out and reach in. :)

Do you have to unscrew anything for the sidemarkers after you get into the foglight opening (I'm aware there are 2 screws to remove the foglight)?

Also, regarding purchasing the clear sidemarkers, Neo mentioned they're all about the same quality (on ebay prices vary from $16 shipped to as high as $30 shipped, with no clear identifiable difference)

Regarding bulbs, when replacing the sidemarkers from stock amber to clear, do you have to replace the bulbs or can you use the stock bulbs?

I assume the stock bulbs are clear and thus having a clear bulb with a clear sidemarker may make it illegal.

So are the bulbs that come with some of the sidemarkers orange in color? Do you have to use orange/amber in order for it to be legal?

How about other colors (blue, red, purple, etc.)??

Thanks.

I had changed mine out and noticed that one bulb was orange and one was white (color of the bulb). If anyone is changing out theirs...notice that on ebay thereare distinctions between the gs300 and th gs 300 and gs430...get the point. They are almost the same car...more items are listed under gs300 so even though I have a 430 I always look for gs300...bulbs are 194 and can get 10 for about $15 shipped. These are LED and not the standard bulbs. These are also used in the cabin areas.

Today I noticed the lens cover on one of my clear side markers is coming unglued from the assembly. :wacko: This sucks because now I have to remove it and either glue it or get new ones. They are only 10 months old or so. But what do you expect for under $20. The clear lens on my focus have lasted for 4 years.

I replaced mine by either going through the front of the wheel well or under the plastic splash guard, I dont remember.

Regarding bulbs, when replacing the side markers from stock amber to clear, do you have to replace the bulbs or can you use the stock bulbs?

You will have to replace the bulbs, stock ones are clear.

DOT says that the illuminated turn signal must be amber in color. You can either buy the clear side markers with or without bulbs just make sure you check and get what you want before you bid.

Do you have to unscrew  anything for the sidemarkers after you get into the foglight opening (I'm aware there are 2 screws to remove the foglight)?

The side markers are held on by 2 10mm bolts. Once you get the fogs out, you can use a socket wrench to remove the bolts. This may be a problem only if you have huge hands. ;) You may also have a harder time on the right side because the washer fluid reservoir is somewhat in the way.

Also, regarding purchasing the clear sidemarkers, Neo mentioned they're all about the same quality (on ebay prices vary from $16 shipped to as high as $30 shipped, with no clear identifiable difference)

Although similar in quality, there are 2 styles. One has clear glass and you can see the bulb. The other has a plastic with a pattern similar to the OEM amber plastic.

Clear sidemarkers definitely look cleaner.

When you put the amber bulbs in and then have the lights on, does it light up the whole sidemarker amber?

Or is it more that the side marker is lit, but most of the amber color is in the center of the clear sidemarker where the bulb is.

Just worried it would look funny to see an orange "dot" in the center of the sidemarker (not sure if it would distibute the light evenly). Obviously, more of an issue with clear sidemarkers than the amber stock ones.

Anyone have any pics with the clear sidemarkers with the lights ON?

Thanks!