92 Ls 400 Electrical Problem

INDEFACE

I just incurred a strange problem in my 92LS. When the lights are on the headlights do not work. The rear lights work and the side lights work. When in drive and I press the gas 3 additional lights come on the oil pressure, BRAKE, and radiator. I also observed when I press the Hi Beams only the left side light works. I am not sure if it is a bad headlight or bulb, a short, a ripped wire, a fuse or a relay. I do not know where to look first. Can anyone shed some light on this issue.

I just went for another ride after letting the car rest and the lights do not light up anymore when I hit the gas. But the headlights do not work at all and the lamps on the dash are very very bright and the reading lights when turned on are also very very bright.

Sorry man, I haven't a clue. Don't think I've ever heard of this before. I know the instrument panel on the 1st generation models have a glitch which makes them burn out, but the headlights and all the other stuff? Sounds like you've got a ghost in the machine. Hate to say it, and I'm hoping others will say otherwise, but this might need the dealer to look at. To me, it sounds like the ecu is acting up. Now if it's the main ecu, or an individual ecu is beyond me, but if you're pressing the gas to get the lights to turn on, then I'd have to think it's the main ecu. But, I could very well be wrong, just sounds logical.

The first place to check with these types of problems is the battery and cables. It sounds like one or both of your battery cables may be loose or corroded. Especially check the positive side cable that runs to the main fuse box. Apparently the battery is strong enough to start the car, so it's probably a connection.

I was doing routine maint. on my wifes minivan last week. She complained about various lights not working some of the time. There was alot of green fuzz on the positive batt terminal. When I cleaned it off, the large wire from the terminal to the main buss was completely severed, yet still allowing current to pass through the fuzz! After cleanup and re-attachment, all electrical glitches disappeared!

I had similar problems on my aircraft when the ground cable was loose. The main cable to the solenoid was making good contact due to the cable stiffness and preload against the clamp, but the strap to the airframe was making intermittent contact, and various lights blinked or would not come on at all, while other systems seemed fine.

Good luck!

I agree. I would check the cables first. I had a Toyota Cressida that one of the cables came loose on and there were odd electrical glitches.

If that is not it- I doubt it is a fuse or a relay, but I guess anything is possible. I do not recall, but the headlights may be on a seperate relay/fuse by themselves- you may want to check that.

It sounds more like a short circuit in the electrical wiring. I would going to say headlamp switch may be bad, but I do not think this would cause problems with the instrument panel warning lamps.

I would check all of the headlight fuses/relays before tampering with the wiring. Remember, it may also be your headlight switch going bad.

There are some light glitches with the "shorting out" of the wiring harness in the trunks of these cars, but I do not think it effects the headlights, but that may be your problem with the other warning lights and the headlights may be a seperate issue. :unsure: