'92 Ls400 Lighter Problems

Grblackmon

Hello all,

I recently purhased a 1992 LS400. The car is great however, neither of the lighters works. I have checked all of the fuses. I also checked for a pinched or broken wire. Everything looks good. Has anyone else had this problem? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Grady

could it be that the lighter filaments burnt out, all at once, for some reason... try a lighter from a different car - they all should be of similar fit. It happened to me once with my honda accord. When I go home, I will see whether my honda lighter works in my ls400 (95 model) and post a note either way.

• 10 months later...

Well, this just might soung crazzzzzyyyy but both of mine didn't work either, however I took a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled out the one in the ashtray (front) just the chrome piece, and shoved it back in, I am going to guess it was not getting grounded, now both the front and rear lighters work.

Now this is gonna sound crazy but i bought my 94 a few months back and i had the same problem. Neither of my lighters worked. I pulled the fuse and when it looked fine i simply put the same one back where it came from. I got back into the car trying to think of what might cause this and i hear a click noise from behind me. Apparently someone had pushed in the rear lighter and since it didn't have power before it just stayed pushed in. When i pulled the fuse to check it and put it back in, it now had power(got no idea how/why) so it got hot and popped out. I suggest that if you all are experiencing broken lighter problem then u should do what I did. Simply pull out the fuse and check it and put it back in if it looks fine. If the lighters still dont work with the car running then pull another fuse with the same rating and switch the two. If they still don't work then get out a large gun and......

just kiddin

I finally got the lighters to work. I took the entire radio assembly out and spliced a wire from an ignition wire to the cigarette lighter (hot wire) and wallah!! all lighters are working.

• 3 years later...
Same with my '90LS. I bought a little lighter socket at the auto parts place that you can wire in yourself and attached it down below the steering wheel so i can charge my cell phone

OK, folks, I came here hopeing to find some answers but all I found were the same question, stated again and again. Both of my '94 LS400 lighters stopped working after using a lighter powered compressor to top off my tires (that's the rear socket). Not sure the front one didn't blow from a phone charger, but whatever it is, I think I"ve found the gizmo that keeps these things from working. I popped the back lighter out - two flat blade screwdrivers and a bit of careful prying at the TOP of the little leather covered panel that holds the lighter and an air control adjuster, will pop the panel out. The lighter socket has a two wire connector (for the power - one is ground, so grounding isn't the issue) and a second two wire connector plugged into a gizmo that sits at the side of the lighter and seems to be a heat activated fuse or somesuch. My belief is this is a safety switch and the gizmo is easily replaceable. I checked and the gizmo is an open circuit right now, so I suppose I could check whether this will fix it by shorting the wires, but I don't think I'll do that - I'll go get a new gizmo. I couldn't figure out how to get the front lighter socket out, so I haven't been able to check for the same thing up there...

So everyone who's written in on this thread - GO GET A NEW GIZMO and I'll bet your lighters will work again...

You need to replace the gizmo... OK, folks, I came here hopeing to find some answers but all I found were the same question, stated again and again. Both of my '94 LS400 lighters stopped working after using a lighter powered compressor to top off my tires (that's the rear socket). Not sure the front one didn't blow from a phone charger, but whatever it is, I think I"ve found the gizmo that keeps these things from working. I popped the back lighter out - two flat blade screwdrivers and a bit of careful prying at the TOP of the little leather covered panel that holds the lighter and an air control adjuster, will pop the panel out. The lighter socket has a two wire connector (for the power - one is ground, so grounding isn't the issue) and a second two wire connector plugged into a gizmo that sits at the side of the lighter and seems to be a heat activated fuse or somesuch. My belief is this is a safety switch and the gizmo is easily replaceable. I checked and the gizmo is an open circuit right now, so I suppose I could check whether this will fix it by shorting the wires, but I don't think I'll do that - I'll go get a new gizmo. I couldn't figure out how to get the front lighter socket out, so I haven't been able to check for the same thing up there...

So everyone who's written in on this thread - GO GET A NEW GIZMO and I'll bet your lighters will work again...