Gs Tire Recommendations

Need some info: I've a 2000 GS300, bought a year and a half ago as a CPO from Lexus. Lexus installed Brigestone Potenza SO3's on it - tires with a Z speed rating (a $200 plus tire). Hate the Potenza's. Had terrible road noise after about 7k miles. At 10k miles, car jerked around with every road grove. Now at 20K, tires need to be replaced. (Here that's normal). Plus, I rarely travel 188 mph in my family Lexus-which is what the Z rating allows me.

Looking for advice: TireRack survey responders rate the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z best in the 225/55-16 Grand Touring All-Season tire size. I like the high rating, but its a pricey tire (retails for about $235 ea). The GS300 calls for a V speed rated tire, and the Turanza LS-V is 2nd in TireRacks survey, and costs about $185ea. I hear that I can also try an H rated tire and the Turanza LS-H comes in third in TireRack's ratings (and is about $170ea).

Anybody with any experience with the Bridgestone product? Can I go to a H speed tire on my V speed rated Lexus? I've heard the Michelin MXV4 Plus and S8's are ok too....but they rated well down the survey list. What I am looking for is a quiet, smooth-riding tire that lasts about 100k miles (I'll take 40K though)

Thanks ahead of time.

There are a number of threads on this subject (some factual and others personal). Take this replay as a little bit of both...

1. Would never, never, never buy a product from Bridgestone/Firestone. They have been in a number of lawsuits and wsere reluctance to recall faulty products all for the bottom line.

2. Stick to V rated. This vehicle is not designed for the softer H rated tire

3. I put Donlop SP5000 tires on my GS at a cost of $85/tire. Is it the best --NO, is it quiet -- YES, will it last more than 20k miles -- NO

4. I put Michelins on my wife's ES300. The only people who do not like Michelins, are those that don't have them on their vehicles. Beyond all the hype, it is the best tire.

5. I saw comments for Falken tires (private company) sold at Sears. I do not believe they may a V rated tire in this size. They do have an H rated.

Good luck and let me know your decision. :rolleyes:

Roll out

Just purchased Turaza LSV 215/60/R16 94V for my 99 GS300 at Costco. They were $122 each and with remounting, balancing,valve stems plus replacement proration on damaged tires. Total was W/ tax... $574.00. Reviews were in the 8.8 range. With only 20 miles on tires no feel yet for comparison Turanza ER30 summer tires which were OEM. here is the review web site....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...y.jsp?type=GTAS

• 2 years later...
There are a number of threads on this subject (some factual and others personal). Take this replay as a little bit of both...

1. Would never, never, never buy a product from Bridgestone/Firestone. They have been in a number of lawsuits and wsere reluctance to recall faulty products all for the bottom line.

2. Stick to V rated. This vehicle is not designed for the softer H rated tire

3. I put Donlop SP5000 tires on my GS at a cost of $85/tire. Is it the best --NO, is it quiet -- YES, will it last more than 20k miles -- NO

4. I put Michelins on my wife's ES300. The only people who do not like Michelins, are those that don't have them on their vehicles. Beyond all the hype, it is the best tire.

5. I saw comments for Falken tires (private company) sold at Sears. I do not believe they may a V rated tire in this size. They do have an H rated.

Good luck and let me know your decision. :rolleyes:

I am on my second set of Bridgestone Touranza LS Z's. already 50,000 miles on this set. This is the best tire I have ever owned. Now all Bridgestone has in the 225/60/16 Touranza is "H" rated. I hate that!

I went with the michellin pilot exalto's from costco... great tire... about $130 a tire, then also got $60 back on total purchase. One year and 40k later the tires are still great, rotated every 7k, but I'll probably be replacing them soon. Ride quality, noise, tire wear and handling are all performing well above average in my humble opinion.

• 1 month later...
I went with the michellin pilot exalto's from costco... great tire... about $130 a tire, then also got $60 back on total purchase. One year and 40k later the tires are still great, rotated every 7k, but I'll probably be replacing them soon. Ride quality, noise, tire wear and handling are all performing well above average in my humble opinion.

Hello. I have a 2001 GS 300 with about 74K miles. I run the full BMW synthetic oil and change it every 4,500 miles. It does amazing things as my car's blood. For tires, I like ran the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus for about 45K and just recently replaced with the upgraded model Michelin Primacy MX4V (now with 60K Mile Warranty). I love the Michelin tires. They are quiet, comfortably smooth riding, unquestionably reliable at high speeds or in rain, and immediately make you feel in complete control. I push my Lexus hard and would recommend them to anyone pushing the handling to around 135/140 mph.

Hope you guys are enjoying your cars.

-David

I have Toyo Versado LX's on my LS430 & am very happy with them. Not as expensive as Michelin's & just as quiet & comfortable. In that size, they have the 'V' rating & also have a 40K warranty. Not as many people have the Toyo Versado's as they just came out last spring, so not as many reviews yet.

yeah im tire shopping soon too

I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH MY MICHELIN MXV4'S ON MY ES300 AND I LOVED THEM! if they werent so high i might get them again for my gs was looking at some yokohoma advans.............just dont wanna spend more than 700 (im replacing the spare it looks like dirt)

brian-

good to b back on the forum after missing 6 days with a minor surgery for 2 pinched nerves! anyone miss me?

I just replaced a set of noisy Goodyear Eagle GT's on my 2005 GS300 with Mechelin Pilot Exalto's. I am really happy with the resuts. The Goodyears were V rated, Michelins are H rated. I still feel secure and confident with these, exept without the noise, harshness and discomfort. Goodyears had 25000 miles on them. I had them from 15000 and even then the noise was too much! Time will tell how long they stay quiet. Tire Rack gives them high ratings.