Timing Belt

dale.jenkins

I have a LX 470 that is due for a 90,000 service. My questions are as follows:

1. Can the replacement of the timing belt be put off until 120,000 miles?

2. If the timimg belt breaks, what is the extent of damage that it will cause?

3. Is there any risk in allowing a certified Lexus technician replace the belt rather than the dealer?

4. If the vehicle is properly maintained, how many miles should I be able to get from this vehicle.

Thanks for any insights.

1. No

2. The 2UZ engine is an interference engine, meaning if the belt breaks, major valve train/head damage=$$$$ (ie, you'll basically need a new top half of the engine)

3. No. A toyota dealer should be able to do the work, if you can find one that'll work on lexus cars. Just DO NOT let them fool w/ the auto height control fluid resevoir. It takes a special kind of light oil...not hydralic fluid, not brake fluid, not coolant, not wiper fluid (I've heard stories of the above being added to that resevoir, causing the auto height suspension to fail; replacement cost is $8K. One guy brought his LX470 to a toyota dealer, too, and the AHC failed shortly afterwards. The guys at Toyota dealers here aren't used to working on AHC since US Toyota landcruisers don't come w/ AHC (overseas cruisers do). If you can find a toyota dealer that will work on your rig, I'd specifically tell them to do the t-belt only. You might also want to change the water pump, as they typically need to be removed to access the t-belt. There's no extra labor, as the pump needs to be pulled anyways. (you an inquire about this from the service manager). Anyways, if toyota does the work instead of lexus, you'll save hundreds right there, and still have the confidence the mechanics are doing it right. After all, the 2UZ-FE engine is used in the 4Runner V8, Tundra, and Sequoia.

4. I've heard the design life on landcruiser engines is typically 300k mi before an overhaul is needed. The longest running engines are probably the inline 4-cylinder 22r/22re engines in the toyota mini-pickups/4runners from the early 80's to around 1990 (USA) and their corresponding 2L-T turbo diesels overseas. You can run them pretty much indefinitely (> 400K mi between rebuilds on the gasoline engine, more on the diesel). They are way underpowered (116hp max), but last forever. At that time (1980's), the only platform was the toyota hilux pickup chassis (first 4runners were hilux's w/ FRP shells on the back), which was sold worldwide as a work vehicle (and still is, but the tacoma replaced the hilux in the US). That's what those Iraqi soldiers were driving (white pickups) with machine guns mounted in the back. Are they more reliable than the V8 cruiser engine? Probably so, in that they rely on virtually no electronics, no automatic transmission.

If you are the original owner and have driven the truck gently to moderately then yes you can safely extend the timing belt change to 120,000. Toyota uses an extra heavy duty timing belt on interference engines like yours for an extra margin of safety against timing belt failure. Hard charging, pedal to the metal type drivers need to change the timing belt at 90,000

500,000-700,000 miles is the life expectancy of a gently driven and perfectly maintained Toyota engine. All Toyota engines, not just the 22R series.

If you can find a toyota dealer that will work on your rig, I'd specifically tell them to do the t-belt only. You might also want to change the water pump, as they typically need to be removed to access the t-belt. There's no extra labor, as the pump needs to be pulled anyways. (you an inquire about this from the service manager).

Please don't give out false info. You have to remove the t-belt before getting into the water pump. To do the water pump it will run an extra hr.

JPI

My apologies. I didn't know the water pump was behind the t-belt instead of in front of it. Anyways, the point I was trying to make was, if your water pump bearings give out before your second t-belt change and you've already had your t-belt changed, it's a lot more labor to change the water pump at that time than had you had it done when the t-belt was done. To access this stuff (on any engine), you generally have to remove the radiator, pulleys/belts just to access the cover that houses the t-belt/chain. This translates to many hours of labor ($$$$). A friend of mine didn't change his pump in his acura when the t-belt was changed at 60K mi, and at 80K mi, the water pump started to leak coolant, so that cost him some $$ since a lot of the same labor had to be redone. OTOH, you may be more fortunate. I replaced one on my old toyota at 120K mi and it never leaked. You could ask the mechanic (not service manager), who would have a better idea of how long they're lasting on the LX.

• 3 weeks later...

I normally take my 2000 LX470 to the Toyota every 5,000 miles but to the Lexus dealer for the mile stone services (30,000 & 60,000). The last time that we visited the Toyota dealership I asked about the cost to replace the timing belt and it was $20.00 cheaper at the Lexus dealership. They both insist that we have the belt changed at the 90,000 mile service session.

Also Jim is right about the height control oil. I tried to order this fluid from the Toyota dealer and they had no clue of what I was talking about. If you go to the Toyota dealer for service please advise them not to fill the AHC reservoir.

• 2 months later...

There is someone over at ih8mud that had 180K on his orignal t-belt! really WAY to far IMOP but 100-120k really should be fine

when I did my 2000 LC at 90K, I did the belt, waterpump, tensioners, crank/cam seals and some other stuff.........all for under 1K. the t-belt looked like new.

glad I did the waterpump as it was just starting to leak at the shaft and the weep hole, pump was around $100.........money well spent IMOP

John

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have about 115K on my 2000 LX470, and my local dealer recommended a new timing belt and water pump for about $1300. Is this fair?

Also, at 115K, what else is really required, I change the engine oil at 5000, new tranSmission filter/oil, new brakes. I KNOW THIS QUESTION IS ANSWERED IN THE OWNERS MANUEL, BUT WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

The reason my LX is at the shop is that I am getting a free full paint job, cuase my smokey topaz is fading due to a defect. Lexus is great.

$1300 sounds about right from the dealer. A non-dealer mechanic could do it for well under $900. Spark plugs change due at 120k too.

i have a 2000 Toyo LC and had the timing belt replaced for 900$, in Grapevine Texas about 2 years ago (120k miles).

i had intended to have the t.b. replaced at 100k miles. do not push your luck, get it changed.

• 2 weeks later...

The timing belt is designed to last longer than 120K, but it is rubber based and climate, heat, wear & tear all factor in the proper replacement. It will be extremely rare to fail before 90K, after that it become more risky as you go. NC does not seem as prone to dry rot as Arizona, so 120K is probably a reasonable risk. However, if you judge wrong, it will cost you the engine.

I chose to have mine done by Lexus, and it was under $1K. I could have saved about $200 at Toyota (special price), but I had a CPO and wanted to maintain the warranty (though LFS/TFS would have honored the Toyota work also). Lexus was on target with the cost, did exactly as I asked them, and everything worked great. It also shows that I had the 90K work done on the Lexus maintenance printouts.

AHC was risky with Toyota dealers - though better now that the 06-07 LC had it as an option. Toyota may opt to use green antifreeze instead of the Toyota brand at some dealerships - insist on the Toyota antifreeze (red/pink).

At 120K you will have the 30K increment on maintenance that involves replacing fluids, lube, front wheel bearings, AHC fluid (60K), and plugs (120K). If you haven't been running through streams and deep water, the front wheel bearings will typically last longer than 30K miles.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, have an ethical question for my fellow Lexus owning friends here: We bought a 2000 LX470 in September. It had 91K miles, and we paid about $20K, including $1,200 for a warranty to 120K miles. (We have owned several Lexus vehicles, and have routinely driven them in excess of 150K miles, and have faith!)

When we called to schedule the oil change at the dealership, (Stevinson Lexus in Lakewood, CO) they said that the SUV was due for the 90K mile service, and that it would cost roughly $2,000, over 10% of the value of the price paid for the vehicle.

Looking at the price of 2000 LX470's online, both sold and unsold, we didn't exactly steal the vehicle. Many are available now for under $17K, and have sold for $13-18K with fewer miles.

Before scheduling the appointment, I asked to speak with the sales rep. I asked the question:

"When selling a used vehicle, which had traveled beyond the manufacturer-recommended mileage for a scheduled service, would you normally disclose the fact that a major service was needed immediately?"

The salesperson called me back a week later, asking for more time to get an answer. Three weeks later, I called back to find out the salesman was, 'on leave.'

Today, I spoke with Dan Lather, the sales manager at Stevinson Lexus. He called to report, in a nutshell:

"Sorry, the vehicle wasn't certified, and therefore there was no responsibility on the part of the dealership to disclose that the service was in fact past due." He was kind and apologetic, and agreed that there should be some sharing of responsibility, but that there would not be.

I then asked, "If in my shoes, what would you think was fair?" To which, he replied, "I completely understand, but we are not going to be able to do anything for you."

"Thanks for not too much Dan!" and then I said goodbye an ended the call.

First, thanks for reading a long rant/vent. Second, is this 'the way it goes?'

Thanks, Adam

Hi Guys, have an ethical question for my fellow Lexus owning friends here: We bought a 2000 LX470 in September. It had 91K miles, and we paid about $20K, including $1,200 for a warranty to 120K miles. (We have owned several Lexus vehicles, and have routinely driven them in excess of 150K miles, and have faith!)

When we called to schedule the oil change at the dealership, (Stevinson Lexus in Lakewood, CO) they said that the truck was due for the 90K mile service, and that it would cost roughly $2,000, over 10% of the value of the price paid for the vehicle.

Looking at the price of 2000 LX470's online, both sold and unsold, we didn't exactly steal the vehicle. Many are available now for under $17K, and have sold for $13-18K with fewer miles.

Before scheduling the appointment, I asked to speak with the sales rep. I asked the question:

"When selling a used vehicle, which had traveled beyond the manufacturer-recommended mileage for a scheduled service, would you normally disclose the fact that a major service was needed immediately?"

The salesperson called me back a week later, asking for more time to get an answer. Three weeks later, I called back to find out the salesman was, 'on leave.'

Today, I spoke with Dan Lather, the sales manager at Stevinson Lexus. He called to report, in a nutshell:

"Sorry, the vehicle wasn't certified, and therefore there was no responsibility on the part of the dealership to disclose that the service was in fact past due." He was kind and apologetic, and agreed that there should be some sharing of responsibility, but that there would not be.

I then asked, "If in my shoes, what would you think was fair?" To which, he replied, "I completely understand, but we are not going to be able to do anything for you."

Thanks, Adam

You bought it at this particular Lexus dealership?

I would expect it from a non-Lexus dealer but that is just crap.

Ethical would have been them doing to service before selling and tacked on 2k to the final sale price...which is what they seemed to have done anyway. Or they could have left if up to the buyer whether they want it done or not. You can get the 90k service done in a lot of other places for half that price. But at least inform you of what was going to be needed soon. But they worry too much about selling cars. That's why I guess it is good to do your own research for the car you want to see how much it will cost and when major service is needed.

• 4 weeks later...

When we called to schedule the oil change at the dealership, (Stevinson Lexus in Lakewood, CO) they said that the truck was due for the 90K mile service, and that it would cost roughly $2,000, over 10% of the value of the price paid for the vehicle.

Thanks, Adam

You bought it at this particular Lexus dealership?

I would expect it from a non-Lexus dealer but that is just crap.

Ethical would have been them doing to service before selling and tacked on 2k to the final sale price...which is what they seemed to have done anyway. Or they could have left if up to the buyer whether they want it done or not. You can get the 90k service done in a lot of other places for half that price. But at least inform you of what was going to be needed soon. But they worry too much about selling cars. That's why I guess it is good to do your own research for the car you want to see how much it will cost and when major service is needed.

Not sure ethical or not...But I would be extremely dissapointed and certainly would put a call into Lexus USA...Just to alert them to this.

• 3 months later...

Adam,

Did you have the 90K service done? I have a 98-LX470 that was quoted $1860 for the 90K service including the timing belt plus $600 to replace the water pump and pulley at the same dealership. Need to have at least the belt and WP done soon but looking for a less expensive option in the Denver area....

thanks

Adam,

Did you have the 90K service done? I have a 98-LX470 that was quoted $1860 for the 90K service including the timing belt plus $600 to replace the water pump and pulley at the same dealership. Need to have at least the belt and WP done soon but looking for a less expensive option in the Denver area....

thanks

I think they are trying to cheat you. Alot of the 90k service things are worthless to get done. Alot of it is just "checking parts" and not replaceing them. I would tell them exactally what you want done. The only reason you do the water pump at the same time as the timing belt is because it is available and exposed while timing belt is being changed. Usually it is done even if it is not broken. They should not change you for extra labor, but just for the part. I don't know where they got the extra 600.00 from. Here in Houston they quoted me 1300 for just the timing belt, water pump and thermostat. Seems they want 2400 for the same thing. I got all these things below for what they want from you for just timing belt and water pump. I'd check somewhere else.

Back in April on my 98 LX470........

Sterling McCall Lexus Of Houston

Lube/grease all undercarriage moving parts

Timing Belt

Thermostat

Water Pump

A/C and engine air filter

Differential fluid change

Coolant flush

Auto trans fluid flush

AHC fluid flush

$2400.00

• 3 years later...

I have a LX 470 that is due for a 90,000 service. My questions are as follows:

1. Can the replacement of the timing belt be put off until 120,000 miles?

2. If the timimg belt breaks, what is the extent of damage that it will cause?

3. Is there any risk in allowing a certified Lexus technician replace the belt rather than the dealer?

4. If the vehicle is properly maintained, how many miles should I be able to get from this vehicle.

Thanks for any insights.

Adam,

I just sold my 2002 Sequoia with the same engine. It had 190k on it. I never changed the timing belt or the water pump. I was getting ready to do them both when i decided to get the GX. I do not know of any timing belt failures. Timing belts are very strong. They have a breaking strength that surpasses most materials.

I do not beileve the timing belt, water pump and pullys are a big job. All the research I have done has resulted in basic mechanic labor.

I can say this. I think I miss my sequoia. Granted it was not full time 4wd but it was a larger vehicle and was flawless with the exception of the rear door lever and a bunch of o2 sensors here and there.

CHip

• 2 years later...

Will a Toyota dealer be ok to service ahc system on 2006 Lx 470 now that the new land cruisers offer this option

Will a Toyota dealer be ok to service ahc system on 2006 Lx 470 now that the new land cruisers offer this option

I cannot see why not...other than badging and standard equipment, the trucks are identical. Servicing the AHC system simply involves removing old fluid, adding new fluid, and bleeding the accumulator and the 4 globes until clean fluid is visible. I'd also ask the dealer to verify AHC pressures are in spec via Toyota Tech Stream...I'd also get a printout to add to my service records.

Other than that...holy necro-thread.

Steve