Who Has The Highest Mileage On Their Es 300

Hello, new here; I will eventually be picking up one of these myself after grad school is finished. I just helped my neighbor purchase a '98 ES 300 that had 141k on it--one owner, all work done at the dealer that sold it originally, tight as a drum, one small scratch in left front fender. Excellent piece of work.

After test-driving a '92 SC 400 (with only 80K on it) as well as this ES today--I'm sold on Lexus. I've been a car guy for over 15 years, and my opinion changed that quickly! I will be looking forward to learning more on this forum as I help my sister--next in line to buy a car--decide between a 1st and 2nd generation ES 300. She is looking to spend about $7k for a new used car. Any advice with this is welcome! Thanks in advance for the help!

Just bought a '94 "Anniversary Edition" ES300 with 210,000 - now about 215,000. I expect - not hope - it to go another 50,000-100,000. Heck, my MR2 Turbo has 200,000 on it and I'm sure it's led a harder life. I try to do all maintenance myself.

mb12345, I'm in Danbury, but work in Wilton (just a few miles north of Norwalk).  Let me know about your service experience with Westport then :)

Lexusk8 -- I took my '97 ES to westport dealership this morning. Since I just bought this car from a private party, I wanted to do a full inspection and oil change. They were pretty good. They did the inspection in quite detail. I already knew about what was needed on my car, and the inspection just confirmed it. But they are extremely costly if I have to take my car there for regular repairs :) They gave me a price quote of $1160 to replace the front 2 calipers and re-surface rotors, $550 to replace the valve gasket since there is a minor oil leak (I can still go for another year or two before I fix this), $400 for passenger side axle boots. Not sure yet whether the power steering pump needs to be replaced, but if it does need to then it would cost another $550.

My '92 ES300 just rolled over 250K today(!). It runs great.

DSC04125_1.jpg

(Note: I don't usually cruise at redline. This was a special occasion!)

And here's the video:

Video of 1992 ES rolling over 250K

I'm sure there are ES300's out there with 300K+. In the last few years mine has gradually increased it's oil consumption to the tune of 1 qt/2000 miles. I believe this is mostly due to oil leakage through the valves as it cools down, which creates a puff of blue smoke at almost every cold start. There is _no_ sign of oil coming out the exhaust when running warm.

Apart from wear-and-tear items I consider part of routine maintenance (CVs, timing belt, struts, brakes), the only mechanical parts it has needed are: valve cover gaskets, steering rack, and a radiator. Given that it's been driven a steady 18K per year for nearly 14 years, I'm amazed that it's never needed a wheel bearing, a starter, an alternator, any pump or other mechanical accessory. Apart from the blinking instrument cluster needles, the only electronic failures have been a power window switch panel and the CD player (it kept ejecting the magazine).

I'd like to keep driving it until the oil consumption gets unreasonable and/or engine failure, at which point someone should swap in a good used powerplant - because the body is currently excellent, and the rest will doubtlessly still function. I doubt I'll have the interest in renewing it's life, since the form factor is becoming less and less of a fit with our family lifestyle. Rather a pity.

But it has been, and continues to be, economical, comfortable, reliable luxury. It looks and drives like it's fuel comes from the fountain of youth!

My '92 ES300 just rolled over 250K today(!).  It runs great. 

DSC04125_1.jpg

And here's the video:

Video of 1992 ES rolling over 250K

I'm sure there are ES300's out there with 300K+.  In the last few years mine has gradually increased it's oil consumption to the tune of 1 qt/2000 miles.  I believe this is mostly due to oil leakage through the valves as it cools down, which creates a puff of blue smoke at almost every cold start.  There is _no_ sign of oil coming out the exhaust when running warm.

Apart from wear-and-tear items I consider part of routine maintenance (CVs, timing belt, struts, brakes), the only mechanical parts it has needed are:  valve cover gaskets, steering rack, and a radiator.  Given that it's been driven a steady 18K per year for nearly 14 years, I'm amazed that it's never needed a wheel bearing, a starter, an alternator, any pump or other mechanical accessory.  Apart from the blinking instrument cluster needles, the only electronic failures have been a power window switch panel and the CD player (it kept ejecting the magazine). 

I'd like to keep driving it until the oil consumption gets unreasonable and/or engine failure, at which point someone should swap in a good used powerplant - because the body is currently excellent, and the rest will doubtlessly still function.  I doubt I'll have the interest in renewing it's life, since the form factor is becoming less and less of a fit with our family lifestyle.  Rather a pity.

But it has been, and continues to be, economical, comfortable, reliable luxury.  It looks and drives like it's fuel comes from the fountain of youth!

thats probably just a head rebuild. the valve seals arent seating properly until the car warms up. as they get warm they expand. cost about $400 per head to rebuild if you can remove and reinstall yourself. and if you want, rebuild kits can be had for around $150.

so for $300 and some wrench time, you can have a like new motor again.

i doubt piston rigns are your issue. it would do it with every shift of the tranny or every time you take your foot off the gas...usually. or it would just smoke all the time.

EDIT: why are you in second gear in that pic?

DSC04125_1.jpg

my guess would be so that he could get both needles completely in the picture. :P

steviej

ah, would make sense. :D what a better way to testify to lexus quality than a 250,000-mile-old engine at redline at 72mph? B)

ah, would make sense. :D  what a better way to testify to lexus quality than a 250,000-mile-old engine at redline at 72mph? B)

or better yet:

a 1992 ES with 250,000 miles on it and needles that still light up. :lol:

good stuff!!

steviej

ah, would make sense. :D   what a better way to testify to lexus quality than a 250,000-mile-old engine at redline at 72mph? B)

or better yet:

good stuff!!

steviej

I am quite drunk...but that is still funny. definately good stuff. (it is tsking quite an effort to type this).

ah, would make sense. :D   what a better way to testify to lexus quality than a 250,000-mile-old engine at redline at 72mph? B)

or better yet:

good stuff!!

steviej

That is the first thing that i noticed. :D :cheers:

Hi..

I have a 96' ES300 with 281,000 km on it...(180,000 miles) and it's driving impeccable! Infact any friends/family who happen to borrow it for a short while always comment afterwards that they just can't believe that it has that much mileage on it!

I've done nothing on this car excepts regular maintenance (oil, fluids, brakes).

And that's it!...well, I also make sure my tires are balanced well. Makes for a very smooth cabin ride. Most people ignore tire balancing as important in fine tuning a ride...

Good luck!

thats probably just a head rebuild. the valve seals arent seating properly until the car warms up. as they get warm they expand. cost about $400 per head to rebuild if you can remove and reinstall yourself. and if you want, rebuild kits can be had for around $150.

i doubt piston rigns are your issue. it would do it with every shift of the tranny or every time you take your foot off the gas...usually. or it would just smoke all the time.

--

Like I mentioned, I wanted to redline it just because it was a special occasion.

Yes, those needles have been replaced before.

--

About the head rebuild: yes, I would consider it, if I hadn't heard stories about head rebuilds causing bigger problems with blowby. If you tighten up the top, the bottom gets stressed. Perhaps a compression check could be used to decide whether things would work out?

Right now, I'm okay with it as it is. I use a remote starter for plausible deniability. The smoke has cleared by the time I get to the car. And really, it's just a puff of blue once or twice a day.

cheers.

--

Like I mentioned, I wanted to redline it just because it was a special occasion.

Yes, those needles have been replaced before.

--

About the head rebuild: yes, I would consider it, if I hadn't heard stories about head rebuilds causing bigger problems with blowby. If you tighten up the top, the bottom gets stressed. Perhaps a compression check could be used to decide whether things would work out?

Right now, I'm okay with it as it is. I use a remote starter for plausible deniability. The smoke has cleared by the time I get to the car. And really, it's just a puff of blue once or twice a day.

cheers.

yep thats a haed. there is no problem with rebuilding your head. thats a myth. since you have them off anyways, put on a new (preferably metal-$50) head gasket.

I have a 97 ES300 with 181,000 miles.

Problems so far:

Idle Control Valve: $300

Radio LCD display: $125

Peeling bumper and right rear view mirror: $325

Normal Maintenance:

Replaced struts and mounts: $1100

timing belt (twice): $250 each time

water pump: I forget.

battery, tires, wiper blades

Damage repair

Front windshield damaged due to a sandstorm: $250

Fixed scratches on front and rear bumper: $200

This has been the most reliable and cheapest to maintain car that I have ever had.

• 3 weeks later...
215,225 miles on my 95. just had the trans rebuilt

'98 with 145K. I got it 3 years ago at 34K. Timing belt @ 120K and brakes as needed. Oil changes at every 7500 at my local Wal-Mart with Penzoil. Runs like new. I expect it to last at least to 250K and then it is on to another certified used.

215,225 miles on my 95. just had the trans rebuilt

'98 with 145K. I got it 3 years ago at 34K. Timing belt @ 120K and brakes as needed. Oil changes at every 7500 at my local Wal-Mart with Penzoil. Runs like new. I expect it to last at least to 250K and then it is on to another certified used.

please...oh please...get that pennzoil out of there! i have opened engnes and seen oil passages go from the size of a nickel to the size of a pencil in less than 50K miles of use with pennzoil. PM/email me for the right oil to use, it doesnt even have to be synthetic, but at least put maxlife in there or something...and at 7500 mile intervals????? im amazed you dont have sludge. i know that thats what the manual calls for, but i can GARUNTEE that Lexus didnt send that car from the factory with pennzoil in it.

BTW, this is all accordingto my own experiences, i woudl never EVER put pennzoil or Quaker State oil in any car i gave more than a rats !Removed! about. but it is your car... :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring an old topic, but when I saw this in a search I was doing, I just had to respond.

I have three now:

'94 ES300 - 230K, some loss of power, leaking oil, I need to have the valve seals redone. Runs good otherwise.

'95 ES300 - 279K, My wife wrecked the front end of this one and it just isn't worth putting the money into it. Engine was still going strong.

'99 ES300 - 81K, Just got this one to replace the '95. Hoping for the same results as my first 2.

Anybody looking for a '95 with high mileage?

Jeff

326Km on my 93 ES300.

Last year replaced the head gasket and rad.

This spring replaced the brake lines and rear suspension member.

Currently, the car is off the road as the tranny gave up 3 weeks ago, and I am pulling the tranny to take it to a shop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update - Car is back on the road. Pulled the tranny and in the end elected not to take it to a shop. Junked the tranny and installed a tranny from a wrecker (the same wrecker that my Lexus dealer uses). Installed it myself, saved lots of money. I spent about 40 hours getting the old one out and the same to put the new one in.

• 1 month later...

bought the car with 105k on the dash, on title says 172,126 back in october 2002. i would have to say this car is well over 200k. ......

new rack pinion,

head gaskets changed(old owner)

front right tire balance

problems as of now:

-oil leak somwhere very minor..

-ticking of the valves?

when i bought the car my mechanic told me that this car went to hell and back when it comes to maintanance and overall care. ......we shall see.

These six cylinders if taken well care of and with just "normal maintenance" will give a (good) driver at least 250K miles. They are very well known to be rock solid. I have a 96-ES300 with 91K and it hums better than a !Removed! on a busy street corner! :P

I may be due for tire replacement sometime this year, as I have put in over 40K miles on the Toyos (nice to get my money's worth) :D

Doug,

I would suggest you give serious consideration to the Goodyear Triple Treads when the time comes to replace the Toyo's.......they are available in an H speed rating for our size (only one size down from V). Have a look at the tirerack's reviews as they are fantastic & it's what I will be switching too when the time comes. They are simply the B)

http://www.goodyearassurance.com/

:cheers: