Anyone with Nakamichi amplifier problems?

My '99 SC400 has recently been experiencing trouble with what I believe is an amplifier problem in the sound system. The trouble occurs in all modes (CD,Radio,Tape). The trouble is difficult to describe, the best description is that it's like a wire is being alternately connected and disconnected - it's real ugly. The problem is intermittent, so each time I take it to the dealer, it works perfectly!

Has anyone experienced this problem (or one like it) and how was it resolved?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

ya i have the same problem with mine when ever i try to show a mechanic the problem s with my car it always works fine. my warnig lights were comming on when i excellerate (brake and trac) but now i think my track might actually be broken. cause i spun it in the rain a couple of weeks ago so that may have broken it (the trac)

• 1 month later...

Months later, I've discovered the problem with the Nakamichi audio system. It appears that my mobile telephone's digital signal is interfering with the operation of the audio system - causing it to go "haywire". After trying everything short of system replacement, I stopped switching on or using the mobile phone (including no standby mode) with the audio system on at the suggestion of my dealer service representative. End of problem.

I just read your earlier post for the first time. I immediatly thought "He just bought a digital phone". I tripped over that problem with my setup, the phone always made a PFFFSSST sound on the radio and a really loud, ugly burb if my mp3 player was running. I have noticed that repositioning the phone hanger and doing a better job of laying the power supply wires out have improved the noise to the point that I can just ignore it now.

You might consider pulling the head unit and breaking into the harness to install an EMI noise filter close to the case. How about adding some improved case grounding for better shielding on the head unit?

Tom