95ls Ecu

yoichisoma

I wrote the forum some time ago about my 95 LS which has the well known problem of stalling after long freeway drives and also feeling jerky around 45MPH and on cold engine low speed driving. Lexus of Marin who just sold me the car took it in in good faith and loaned me a 2005 RX for a month but could not reproduce the stalling which would give them enough reason to replace the ECU for me. It has not stalled since, but is very jerky off throttle. Auto and Truck Electronics said they could fix the problem but recommended I find out the Nakamichi Stereo code before disconnecting the ECU or battery. My question is for those who have removed the ECUs in their 95's and 96 LS's. IS THE CODE FOR THE STEREO NECESSARY IN THE REMOVAL OF THE ECU? Are there any special precautions besides first disconnecting the battery before removing the ECU to ship to FLORIDA?

Thanks everyone

Yo

I had the exact same problem. I've got a 95 as well, bought it from a lexus dealer and had to MAKE / FORCE :chairshot: them honor their 90 day, 3000 mile window warranty to fix this. Out of ALL the tsb's on our car, there is only one that is highly recommended to be done, and it's this one. It's called "Off Throttle Shock". Basically, the ecu drops the fuel supply too quickly when you take your foot off the gas, making the car stumble, shutter, jerk a few times. There are actual complaints to the national highway transportation saftey board for this issue. The tsb is called "Driveability Improvement for Speeds Above 40MPH", it's TSB # EG00396. There is no way I am buyin' the dealer story you were told, no way at all. They know about this TSB issue, trust me! They'll act dumb, but any moron with access to the tsb postings knows this is the most important one, and the only one that came the closest to a full recall from Lexus. I called Lexus of America to complain, and that got the ball rolling. They're fixing them on the "good faith" warranty, to keep you coming back for another one later on down the road. You can take a look at the clublexus site and do a search for nc211, you'll see the "transmission stutters 95ls400" thread. That's my whole experience with the process. It's a BOOGER to get fixed, since it's one of the most expensive parts on the car. But it WILL fix that problem for good! When they finally fixed mine, all the stereo settings were the same, so I don't think they actually disconnected the battery. The memory seat settings were the same as well. But to be on the safe side, I would get that code for the stereo, since they're so dang expensive. Good luck with the fix, you'll like the results!!! :cheers:

I had the exact same problem. I've got a 95 as well, bought it from a lexus dealer and had to MAKE / FORCE  :chairshot: them honor their 90 day, 3000 mile window warranty to fix this. Out of ALL the tsb's on our car, there is only one that is highly recommended to be done, and it's this one. It's called "Off Throttle Shock". Basically, the ecu drops the fuel supply too quickly when you take your foot off the gas, making the car stumble, shutter, jerk a few times. There are actual complaints to the national highway transportation saftey board for this issue. The tsb is called "Driveability Improvement for Speeds Above 40MPH", it's TSB # EG00396. There is no way I am buyin' the dealer story you were told, no way at all. They know about this TSB issue, trust me! They'll act dumb, but any moron with access to the tsb postings knows this is the most important one, and the only one that came the closest to a full recall from Lexus. I called Lexus of America to complain, and that got the ball rolling. They're fixing them on the "good faith" warranty, to keep you coming back for another one later on down the road. You can take a look at the clublexus site and do a search for nc211, you'll see the "transmission stutters 95ls400" thread. That's my whole experience with the process. It's a BOOGER to get fixed, since it's one of the most expensive parts on the car. But it WILL fix that problem for good! When they finally fixed mine, all the stereo settings were the same, so I don't think they actually disconnected the battery. The memory seat settings were the same as well. But to be on the safe side, I would get that code for the stereo, since they're so dang expensive. Good luck with the fix, you'll like the results!!! :cheers:

I'm in the same boat - '95ls400 with a Nak and a bad ECU. I have held off replacing it only because I haven't had time to get it shipped out to Florida. This is the first time I've heard of a 'stereo code'. What is this all about? I undestand the idea behind losing memory settings when disconnecting the battery but what does that have to do with the stereo other than losing presets on the radio? Even if it did do something, what are you supposed to do with the code once you've got it? Is this the anti-theft code so that the head unit can not be used in another car? How is it handled on a replacement unit (used, junkyard, new...)?

I called several stereo shops all of which said that there is no code unless the previous owner programmed one in. The dealer said today that it is possible to unlock the unit if the car is brought in. The stereo shops said the same. I am taking the ECU out right now but it is really hard to get the ECU brackett out as the bolts are behind the CD changer. Harder than I imagined.

Yo