Sc400 Interior Question...

bigv

Hi,

I have a question...

I have a 97 SC400....I love it.its awsome and everything...

I have seen the 98 editions, and those, to me, look much nicer on the inside...outside they are the same.......

But, On the inside, the 98s have a gated shifter, and a 3 spoke steering wheel....

Does anyone know if I can turn my straight shifter (shifting straight down...P,R,N,D...etc) to the gated shifters? and if I can change the wheel....

thanks.

The 1998 has the 290 hp engine and 5 speed auto while the 1997 has the 260 hp engine and I believe a 4 speed auto. I've driven both and while the 3 spoke wheel looks nicer the 4 spoke actually fits my hands and driving position better. Changing the wheel/airbag can be done but you could probably get more for your money with other upgrades such as brake/tires etc. Check out new mats and the detailing section if your interior needs sprucing up.

Is there a way to get the interior lighting of the instrument cluster to look a different color without using those expensive bulbs from that one store?

I heard someone using caps or something on the bulbs to change the colors. Now that is something that I would like to do.

Is there a way to get the interior lighting of the instrument cluster to look a different color without using those expensive bulbs from that one store?

I heard someone using caps or something on the bulbs to change the colors. Now that is something that I would like to do.

Thanks all!

Anyone know of any websites that sell special mods for the SCs??

Thanks all!!!

On the 1992-1997 clusters, the lighting is by bulb. There are no colored caps on them, just the straight bulb. This shines off the yellow hue color, which is extremely ugly if you ask me. The 1998 (figures; same year i sold my 92) clusters are a brighter white color. The needles are no longer the SMD ones; now 1 LED. I am not sure if the lighting on the 98+ sc modles is still bulb. Are they as well LED's or cold cathodes?

But if you still want to stick with bulbs, there are replacement bulbs that omit a brighter white color. They have regular bulbs but have blue glass. The tellow mixes with the blue creating a white color. The only thing is that you lose brightness. It may be hard to see during the day in direct sunlight...