Rx300 Calipers

CT99RX300

My wife just took her 99 RX300 to get the brakes done and they told her that the caliper would not retract properly. This is in addition to new pads and rotor for over 1000.00 bucks!! Have anyone heard of these calipers going early. She only has 70K miles on it. How hard is it to replace the caliper and the rotors on this car? Is it easy to do yourself?

First, NEVER send your wife to do a man's job. Dealer service manager's are trained specifically on how to go about conning them into spending more, most, of your hard earned money.

I recently I paid ~$80 for the full front set of brake pads on my E350 Mh. DIY is a simple one hour job.

Depending on the total mileage it is quite likely that the rotors didn't need to be replaced either. What is the mileage?

It would be highly unusual for both caliper pistons to seize up or not fully retract simultaneously. Usually one side or the other will fail first and that will result in the brake on that side dragging and the resultant early wearout, failure of the brake pad, and then damage to the rotor.

My wife just took her 99 RX300 to get the brakes done and they told her that the caliper would not retract properly.  This is in addition to new pads and rotor for over 1000.00 bucks!!  Have anyone heard of these calipers going early.  She only has 70K miles on it. How hard is it to replace the caliper and the rotors on this car?  Is it easy to do yourself?

What is wrong with your brake?

If your calipers need a rebuilt. A1 Cardone makes re-manufactured calipers, www.rockauto.com sells unloaded front one at $40 and loaded one for $57.

You can even to go local Autozone or Kragen if you don't want to buy on line.

Just bring your seized caliper back to get your core deposit back.

I did caliper install myself on Acura TL, it it not hard at all. Quality is on par with OEM.

My wife just took her 99 RX300 to get the brakes done and they told her that the caliper would not retract properly.  This is in addition to new pads and rotor for over 1000.00 bucks!!  Have anyone heard of these calipers going early.  She only has 70K miles on it. How hard is it to replace the caliper and the rotors on this car?  Is it easy to do yourself?

Get a second opinion of the stuck caliper and worn out rotors. In non-rust belt states toyota calipers last at least 20 years and unlimited miles, especially if the brake fluid is changed every 2-4 years or so. If another shop says also says you need a new caliper it's possible the road salt where you live corroded it.

Toyota rotors generally don't wear down too thin and need to be replaced until the 2nd or 3rd set of Toyota pads is installed. It's kind of hard to believe they could be worn too thin at only 70,000 miles unless your wife has already gone through at least one set of Toyota pads in which case that would mean her driving style is hard on the brakes.

Autozone / Kragen type pads will wear even quicker and wear down the Toyota rotors more quickly too.

Get a second opinion of the stuck caliper and worn out rotors. In non-rust belt states toyota calipers last at least 20 years and unlimited miles, especially if the brake fluid is changed every 2-4 years or so. If another shop says also says you need a new caliper it's possible the road salt where you live corroded it.

Toyota rotors generally don't wear down too thin and need to be replaced until the 2nd or 3rd set of Toyota pads is installed. It's kind of hard to believe they could be worn too thin at only 70,000 miles unless your wife has already gone through at least one set of Toyota pads in which case that would mean her driving style is hard on the brakes.

Autozone / Kragen type pads will wear even quicker and wear down the Toyota rotors more quickly too.

VGR, I am suggesting to get re-manufactured calipers made by A1 Cardone at Autozone / Kragen, not pads.

Personally I would get Akebono ceramic pads and avoid the Lexus semi-metallic, which generate too much dust for my taste.

VGR, I am suggesting to get re-manufactured calipers made by A1 Cardone at Autozone / Kragen, not pads.

Personally I would get Akebono ceramic pads and avoid the Lexus semi-metallic, which generate too much dust for my taste.