Borla Exhaust

Hello all,

Just added Borla exhaust to 01 GS430. Thought it might be too loud, but after install it does not seem much louder than my stock exhaust. (I know it is a Lexus). It does have a little deeper tone at idle. Is the Borla just not that much louder than stock? Thanks!

Hey , I've had the Borla exhaust for about 4 years now. At first when you put it in the difference isn't that noticeable. However, I would recommend a good air intake to allow the engine to breathe easier. The stock intake is way too restrictive. When you do this you will be able to get air into the engine alot easier, and you will be able to get it out alot easier with the Borla exhaust. You will notice the sound difference when you do this. My car kinda sounds like a corvette, real deep and throaty. It gets loudest when you open it up under full throttle and the vvti kicks in. Exhaust and intake together I think is good for about 20 horses.

OK cool thanks. I've had an SRT intake on the way. I think part of it was I'm so used to the way my Supra sounded, the Lexus is just so quiet. Interior noise everything. My girlfriend gets *BLEEP*ed at me and says "You don't have a sports car anymore," but I do like a little bit of engine grumble.

OK cool thanks.  I've had an SRT intake on the way.  I think part of it was I'm so used to the way my Supra sounded, the Lexus is just so quiet.  Interior noise everything.  My girlfriend gets *BLEEP*ed at me and says "You don't have a sports car anymore," but I do like a little bit of engine grumble.

HI, Thanks for the info on the borla. Sounds about what I am looking for, quiet, until you get into your aggressive driving mode. One question, is there any resonation inside the cabin from the exhaust, you know the annoying sound that just drives your ears nuts. Thanks

From what i hear just above the 2000 rpm mark (60 -65 mph on the highway)there is the most sustained resonance, but without an intake on it, it is really not much more noticable. We'll see if the intake adds much more sound.

From what i hear just above the 2000 rpm mark (60 -65 mph on the highway)there is the most sustained resonance, but without an intake on it, it is really not much more noticable.  We'll see if the intake adds much more sound.

Thanks alot. I do appreciate the feed back. My wife and I are real sensive to those annoying resonation sounds from opening up the exhaust. Guess I will just wait and see what changing your intake does to the overall driving experience as well as the noise factor. I really want a throaty exhaust when under acceleration, without the resonation at crusing speeds. Thanks a bunch.

I ill hear the intake, or the exhuast more, or both? :wacko: I do remeber reading that you do hear the intake, and it makes a distinctive noise. I guess we'll see. It is supposed to arrive Sat, so I'll throw it in.

Slapped the SRT intake on Sat. WOW!! What a difference. From 4-6 K just an awesome sound. Not too loud at all at highway speeds. Also my gas milage went up on the highway :o !! Not around town though. Too much gassing it to hear it.:D At first it seemed like it would be too loud, but after taking a hour trip last night, I really like the combination.

Slapped the SRT intake on Sat.  WOW!!  What a difference.  From 4-6 K just an awesome sound.  Not too loud at all at highway speeds.  Also my gas milage went up on the highway  :o !!  Not around town though. Too much gassing it to hear it.:D  At first it seemed like it would be too loud, but after taking a hour trip last night, I really like the combination.

Thanks alot for the info, Now I will be shopping around for a Boral exhaust and SRT intake. SOUNDS, like just what I want. Not too loud, except when in the aggressive driving mode.... :cheers:

post-16288-1111429208_thumb.jpg

Intake from SRT $475 free shipping. I found Borla exhaust as low as $479 I believe. I paid $499. Both are easy installs with the exception of I live in the northest so the salt locked my exhast bolts, I had to cut the nuts off. The intake took about 2 hours to install at most, but I was also wiping my engine down at the same time.

Intake from SRT $475 free shipping.  I found Borla exhaust as low as $479 I believe.  I paid $499.  Both are easy installs with the exception of I live in the northest so the salt locked my exhast bolts, I had to cut the nuts off.  The intake took about 2 hours to install at most, but I was also wiping my engine down at the same time.

Thats great glad you like the Borla exhaust, I do too... Is this the first step for you for modifying your car? (Is this the only thing you have done so far?)

Im about to get my restored 18x8.5 now fully chromed and restored Momo Arrow wheels. Can't wait for that, but I'm also shopping for exhaust system. Conside HKS or heard so much about borla. Anyone have any pics of Borla on GS? Is the sound deep but not loud? That's what im looking for...Thanks in adv!

So far I've done Borla Exhaust, SRT Intake, cross drilled and slotted brakes, and upgraded pads. All easy upgrades for new do it yourselfers. Wanted just some more sound out of the car, got exactly what I was hoping for. I don't want this car to get out of control like my last, so in the spring just want to slap a set of wheels on (once all the sand is off the road). Keep my stock set with the winter tires on, and hopefully be done for a while.

Slapped the SRT intake on Sat.  WOW!!  What a difference.  From 4-6 K just an awesome sound.  Not too loud at all at highway speeds.  Also my gas milage went up on the highway  :o !!  Not around town though.

cyaltr,

How much do you hwy gas mileage go up? I get around 25mpg here in north florida. What do u get before and after?

thx

cyaltr,

How much do you hwy gas mileage go up? I get around 25mpg here in north florida. What do u get before and after?

thx

No Ricer sound.

I was getting no more than 21.5, up to 23.5, I drive in traffice everyday.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats cool I got the brembo cross-drilled rotors and they are sweet. I have also upgraded the suspension with the TRD strut brace, sway front and rear, and lower member brace. I would highly recommend doing this. It is no longer floaty feeling at all. Feels much more precise and hardly any body roll around corners. Plus its not that expensive to do, I got most of the parts on ebay. Now I really want to get some cool looking 19's deep dish style to make it look more aggressive. Any good suggestions? I don't want it all blinged out looking, i am looking for more of a racing aggressive look.

I've had the SRT intake on for about two weeks now and love it. Thanks to this thead I orded the Borla cat-back today too. Can't wait to hear it. I also tinted the windows last month. I feel like I've got a brand new car. My Lex is parked next to my 600rwhp Viper in the garage and the last week I've looked more at the Lexus when coming out of the house than the Viper. Lot's of good info on this board. Thanks!

Yes. It's listed as a cat-back system by some vendors, but you're correct. I ended up spending a little extra as many places are back-ordered/out of stock on the Borla exhaust. I paid $544 shipped. It came in yesterday and I had it put on this morning. Sounds good, especially at WOT! It would be way too quiet without the SRT intake.

This is the combo that I am thinking of but I have also been thinking of the Apexi WS (world sport) exhaust system for my GS400. Anyone have experience with this? How does it sound compared to the Borla?

Also I am reading all about everyone installing these exhausts but I have no pics or sound files posted???!! C'mon guys...let's have em!

Post! Post! Post!

Would like pics of both.. WS and Borla

if you are talking about the Nor Cal videos I already have them downloaded to my comp but I am wondering about some semi- scientific methods of sound testing... i.e. the same sound device in the same location on from the same distance on the two differently equipped cars. And detailed up close photos of both of the exhausts from different angles....