Opening Rusted Bolts

camlex

Hello,

I wants replace front stablizer bar bushing, my mechnic told me those bolt are rusted, he spray some WD40. he says he will try after couple days. any other solution.

rear stablizer bar bushing bolts are in bracket where front goes to chasis. you don't wants to break.

Thanks,

Hello,

I wants replace front stablizer bar bushing, my mechnic told me those bolt are rusted, he spray some WD40. he says he will try after couple days. any other solution.

rear stablizer bar bushing bolts are in bracket where front goes to chasis. you don't wants to break.

Thanks,

A better product to use for rusted bolts is "Liquid Wrench". http://www.gunk.com/a_lineart2.asp?img=L112.JPG

Hello,

Thanks,

30 or so years ago, I was driving across country with some friends and we got a flat tire. The lug nuts were, of course, rusted and we couldn't get them off. All the guys were showing off their muscles and trying to get the nuts free.

Then, one young lady (a chemical engineer) pushed us all aside and poured a coke on the lug nuts. She told us to wait a couple of minutes - and then it came right off. To her credit, she didn't gloat much.

Now, it couild be that we loosened things up and it would have come off anyway, but Coke does have phoshporic acid which is used as a rust remover (obviously very different concentrations), so it's worth a shot.

Hello,

Thanks,

30 or so years ago, I was driving across country with some friends and we got a flat tire. The lug nuts were, of course, rusted and we couldn't get them off. All the guys were showing off their muscles and trying to get the nuts free.

Then, one young lady (a chemical engineer) pushed us all aside and poured a coke on the lug nuts. She told us to wait a couple of minutes - and then it came right off. To her credit, she didn't gloat much.

Now, it couild be that we loosened things up and it would have come off anyway, but Coke does have phoshporic acid which is used as a rust remover (obviously very different concentrations), so it's worth a shot.

if that fails, you can just mix it with rum and drink it while you ponder your next move!

:cheers:

Toyota dealers sell aerosol cans of "Toyota High Performance Penetrating Lubricant" Spray it on any rusted bolt every day for a few days before attempting removal and remarkably, bolts that seemed hopelessly rusted will unscrew slowly but surely. Alternate loosening and tightening in small increments.

any good tech will have a torch to heat it up to remove it

A little story:

Years ago, while I was rebuilding the engine in my 1940 La Salle( that was a baby Cadillac for all you youngsters that never heard of this car), I was in a pit trying to remove the connecting rod bolts, using a ½ inch drive snap-on socket. It seems that I kept splitting open the sockets because of all the intense pressure to break these bolts free. It ended up that I had to use an acetylene torch to heat up the bolts, red hot, then smack them with a hammer, and once again use the socket wrench to loosen them.

The motto of this story:

DON'T use a torch if you are going to reuse the old bolts since the heat will remove the temper of the steel and weaken them.

The upshot:

I had to go to Cadillac parts and buy all new connecting rod bolts(16) which cost me a lot of money, of which I had very little since I was a poor student. :unsure:

End of story.