The New On/off Start Button

I was on "Drive". My foot was on the brake. The engine was on. I pressed the ON/OFF button, and the engine turned off just like that.

I'm afraid to try the other test. What would happen in this scenario:

If I was on "Drive". I'm driving on the freeway. A friend was in the passenger seat pressing certain buttons and accidentally pressed the ON/OFF button? Will the car's engine just turn off on the freeway?

I asked the salesman and he said he didn't know.

If a friend of mine was pushing buttons in the vacinity of the driver's side of the car and I was driving, said "friend" would be testing the seatbelt pretentioners.

The button is like the key. If you turn off the key while going down the highway, what happens?

With the keys, people at least can see the keys and won't touch the keys. With a button, it's so easy for a person not familiar with this car to accidentally press this button while playing around with the buttons in the car. Most cars DO NOT have a button as an ignition device. I predict this will cause some deaths on the freeway because a passenger accidentally presses this button while a car is traveling at a fast speed. Thus, causing an accident on the freeway.

I'm going to the dealer and try this out at a speed of around 10 MPH in a parking lot and see if the engine does indeed turn off.

For example, it's dark at night. It begans to rain. A passenger in the car tries to help out and presses a few switches to turn on the windshield wiper, and accidentally presses the ON/OFF switch because he's not familiar with the car.

If your statement is correct, the engine will just die on the freeway. I just can't imagine Lexus would make it so simple to cause an accident on the freeway.

Oh please, "I think this will cause some deaths on the highway..." come on, we're being a little melodramatic aren't we? The button clearly says "Engine Start Stop".

The GS is hardly the first car with a push button ignition, Mercedes puts their start button on the top of the console shifter. I'm sure the button will turn off the engine just like turning the key will turn off the engine. So what if the engine gets turned off on the freeway, just pull over and turn it back on. The cars not going to explode.

As for a passenger trying to help out by turning on wiper blades? Huh? Why would they do that? I've been a passenger many times and it has never occured to me to turn on wiper blades or headlights for the driver. I've had many passengers in my car over the years, and its never occured to any of them either. If someone went to do that I would stop them. Any passenger is going to ooh and ahh over the keyless start anyways so they'll know what it is, plus like I said its marked "Engine Start/Stop"

What if someone decided to shift the car out of gear? Or pull the handbrake up on cars equipped with console mounted handbrakes? Or open their door? Just because some idiot somewhere might do something stupid designers should limit new technologies? As the driver its your responsibility to be aware of what people are doing in your car. You're driving, you're in charge. If people are pushing buttons they shouldn't be, slap em in the head.

Somehow Mercedes has had their button on the gearshift for the past 4 years and I've never heard of anyone accidentaly turning their car off. Causing an accident? Come on.

SW03ES is right. The addition of a stop start button does not increase the chance of an "accident'. There are lots of things which pose risks while drivng, like drinking hot coffee or a can of soda, or the cell phone, or swatting a bee, or yelling at the kids in the back, or adjusting the radio, or the nav, or the AC, long before a button that simply shuts off the engine could be a concern.

Exactly, children should never ride in the front seat. What would stop the children from turning the key or shifting the gears or pulling up the handbrake? Somehow we all grew up riding in cars with these things and we're all fine.

I used to push buttons in the car all the time, my dad tells funny stories about it. Somehow I never turned the car off or shifted it out of gear.

I thinks its common courtesy that while riding in someones car you not be using the controls anyway.Who needs help turning on their windshield wipers anyway?A passenger should have control of their seat warmer and maybe their own climate control and thats it.