Questions On Japanese Cesloirs

GSsoldier

The upsweeping beam pattern on both right hand drive and left hand drive cars are designed to illuminate road signs on the front passenger side of the road. If you use headlights designed for right hand drive cars (which drive on the left side of the road, e.g. Japan, U.K.) in a left hand drive car (which drive on the right side of the road, e.g. U.S., Europe), then the upsweeping beam pattern will tend to blind oncoming drivers and not illuminate road signs on the side of the road.

People on the U.K. LOC forum could probably tell you more about the headlight issues of driving a RHD car in LHD Europe and putting up with Europeans driving their LHD cars in the U.K.

I don't know about the JDM lights, but I do know that the H4 headlights on early U.K. and Europe market LS400's were far superior to those on U.S. cars. The U.K./Europe headlights were 2-piece like in the U.S. but with high beams where we had our foglights. I thought about importing a set of Euro-code LS400 lights in the early 90's but the cost was going to be very high and I would have had to deal with the dashboard beam adjustment switch issue and relocating the foglights to below the bumper or doing without them.