O2 Sensor Replacement

chukiechz

The engine doesnt ping using 87 octane, so there isnt a need for higher octane.

I have several forced induction cars (supercharged E36 M3 and C32 AMG), and I know the effects of octane and knock prevention.

Forgot to add, the truck has 196K miles or so on it. I would think the O2 replacement is because of the mileage of the truck, not the gas I use.

So back to my original question: anyone have any useful pointers on replacing the sensors?

You have to change your o2 sensor right?

And you thought it makes no difference............

As they say pay me now or pay me later

Octane and o2 have alot more than you seem to understand.

Which is why it is no suprise that so many owners using cheaper gas need replacment o2.

I don;t care what you belive or think but it is a fact cheaper gas runs hotter. o2 sensor are right at the tip of the combustino chambers and are affected drastically by gas octanes.

Octane and o2 have alot more than you seem to understand.

Which is why it is no suprise that so many owners using cheaper gas need replacment o2.

I don;t care what you belive or think but it is a fact cheaper gas runs hotter. o2 sensor are right at the tip of the combustino chambers and are affected drastically by gas octanes.

You're right in the sense that lower octane runs "hotter", but the only reason to use higher octane fuel is for detonation. Higher octane fuel detonates less because it burns slower (less energy content).

If the cars runs without detonation, then chances are you won't gain any power by using higher octane fuel.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the O2 sensor location. Sensors wear out over time. All cars will require O2 sensor replacement over time. It could be a corolla or my C32, the type of fuel used has no effect on the frequency of those changes.

then you have much to learn chukiechz

sorry but because you own a few cars and understand some principles which is great does not mean you understand all of the prinicples as to why it is a problem which is evident by your adament point of it not being related.

Why do i KNOW the differences

1 i have read many articles on the effects

2 i am a trained automotive technition

3 i own a buisness catering to luxury modifications and help to prepare race cars( SCCA, grand am cup ) not race them.

4 I have both afr and EGT gauges to monitor the difference in octanes on numerous times jsut to see the effects.

5 the amount of owners running lower octane that require replacment of o2 makes it quite evedient of its problem.

You can doubt ,hell you can do as you please it matters nothing to me as i know exactly what i am talking about and am not guessing on any account.

I give my engine and computer full control over what it has in place for mapping of the fuel and timing not letting my pocketbook determine its constraints.

OK, enough arguing about this. I obviously have my opinion on this, so do you. This thread wasnt an argument about octane.

I feel the sensors have lasted their service life, so I have no problems replacing them. Remember, I am coming up to almost 200,000 miles.

So since you are a technician, can you please answer my original question? Are there any tips or pointers on replacing the sensors on the LX470? :)

The basic rules for any o2 sensor removal is to have a torch handy as they love to weld themselves in the threads. So they need a good bit of heat to remove themselves.

Their is a special socket used for removing o2 only. It basically has a slit to allow the wire to hang outside the socket . It is needed since a wrench will never remove it.

Spend the money on an oem sensor it costs alot more but lasts longer and is the right length and connectino end. It is alot less hassel.

• 2 weeks later...