Waxing The Car

I'm planning on waxing my 99 RX sometime in April whenSpring arrives and the weather is nicer. My car is black, and I want to have the shine and wet look back into the paint. I was wondering the procedure when I wax the car. Do I have to use a polisher first before waxing? or can i just wax the car right after I washed and dried the car? What's the difference between polish and wax?

When the wax dries up, do I need to use a buffer machine or can i just do it manually by rubbing it with a clean cloth by hand?

What are the good quality wax products? I would appreciate anyones suggestions.

I'm planning on waxing my 99 RX sometime in April whenSpring arrives and the weather is nicer. My car is black, and I want to have the shine and wet look back into the paint.  I was wondering the procedure when I wax the car.  Do I have to use a polisher first before waxing? or can i just wax the car right after I washed and dried the car?  What's the difference between polish and wax?

When the wax dries up, do I need to use a buffer machine or can i just do it manually by rubbing it with a clean cloth by hand?

What are the good quality wax products?  I would appreciate anyones suggestions.

There are "millions" of discussions on this topic. All I had to do is spend some time in the "inside/out" forums and I never had to ask any questions. Good luck!!

Yep, gotta read. There's probably 30 pages of things to read on the board about this topic. Read whats out there, once you've read (starting with the "what should I do first" sticky on top of the forum, come back and ask us more specific questions. Run searches for "wax" "polish" "buffer" etc.

I use to do alot of detailing jobs and I found what works BEST on a black car is Meguiers Deep crystal system steps 1 2 and 3. It is alot of work, but take my word for it you'll be 100% satisfied. Just to make it easy i'll break it down for you.

Step 1: Wash and dry your car. Any car soap is really ok, although i do like to use Turtle Wax soap(about the only good thing they make)

The key to making your car look nice is making sure the wheels and tires are spotless, for this i use Westly's Bleach White on the tires and Meguier's Hot Rims wheels cleaner. To finish that off i then use Meguier's Hot Shine Tire Shine(apply to dry tire before you wax it because since the car is black the tire shine always tends to show up on the paint in little spots. VERY ANNOYING! :angry:

Step 2: Use a clay bar over the entire cars finish. What this does is removes any grit the finish may have. I always use Mother's Clay bar.

Step 3: Using a orbital buffer, apply Deep Crystal system Step1: Paint Cleaner. Then buff off by hand

Step 4: Again using a orbital buffer, apply Deep Chystal system Step2: Polish. Then again buff off by hang

Step5: Again with an orbital buffer, apply Meguier's Gold class liquid wax(this is in place of Meguier's step3: Carnuba Wax) then buff off by hand.

I told you its alot of work, but TRUST ME that beautiful black lexus paint will look like new.

Do the reading, I promise it'll be worthwhile. Not to discount what Nike is saying but the true secret to getting the best look possible out of your paint is the process, not the product. Master the process and you can use pretty much anything with great results.

Very true SW, although i do perfer Meguier's over most products, their waxes are so easy to use...others like Raindance is so hard to remove and leaves white dust all of the car. Oh and i forgot to mention, treat ur wheel like ur paint finsih...dont leave them out...appy a coat of wax to them also, keeps them looking nice.

Do the reading, I promise it'll be worthwhile. Not to discount what Nike is saying but the true secret to getting the best look possible out of your paint is the process, not the product. Master the process and you can use pretty much anything with great results.

The aesthetics of a vehicles appearance is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you...

It really does all come down to; 85% preparation, 5% product, 7% application method and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder.

JonM

I've spent alot of time claying, then polishing with Z1 paint polish and different waxes. Steve told me to try Meguiars 16, so I did. It is the most amazing wax I have ever used. Hard to use, but I have never seen water bead up like that in my life! The only thing that I would like to od is make my paint look a bit more "Wet." Does anyone have ideas on how to make a light color paint "Pop-out" more?

Thanks

Wanna know something sad? Meguiars has discontinued the #16. It doesn't fit into the government's new VOC regulations.

If you want something off the counter Mother's new SynWax has been impressing me.

Like I said in the other thread, good to see you again!

Bummer about the #16, I could not belive the way the water just rolled off. Just after I waxed it we had good rain and at 50 miles an hour the water could not stay on my car, it cool to watch it bead up and peal off. I just did the wifes 04 Sienna and it looks great. I took your advise and got a Porter cable polisher, easy to use and not dangerous.

Any thoughts on giving a light color the "Wet" look?

Glad to be back

Really its just a function of getting the prep right and then picking an LSP that has the right optics, #16 works well, P21S works well, Even Pinnacle Souveran works well but its pricey.