New Owner Of Es250

Hi all,

Just got my '91 ES250 w/78k miles over the weekend and have a couple very basic questions.

1) can I use regular 87 fuel? you know how expansive it is...

2) should I change the timing belt soon? the owner's manual said unless it is operated "schedule A" (heavy use), otherwise don't need to but I don't believe it competely. I use it 90% hwy, so I'm definitely schedule B. Usually when do the rest of you change your timing belt?

3) other common major problems? my car seems well kept and was maintained by dealer from day one with all records. Just got new PS pump.

Thanks!

Joe

Hi all,

Just got my '91 ES250 w/78k miles over the weekend and have a couple very basic questions.

2) should I change the timing belt soon? the owner's manual said unless it is operated "schedule A" (heavy use), otherwise don't need to but I don't believe it  competely. I use it 90% hwy, so I'm definitely schedule B. Usually when do the rest of you change your timing belt?

3) other common major problems? my car seems well kept and was maintained by dealer from day one with all records. Just got new PS pump.

Thanks!

Joe

i hate you :P

I am the resident ES250 guy, i probably know more about this car than most here. (dont mean to sound arrogant, but i have had this car apart on more than one occasion :) )

1. Yes, but use premuim once or twice a month if you can.

2. I just changed my belt at 143k:

17560josh_car_3_med.jpg

17560josh_car_5_med.jpg

as you can see it was still nearly perfect and that was when it was dropping a half a quart of oil a day. i should see no problems going to 100K.

Make sure you CHANGE YOUR PCV VALVE! these cars are EXTREMELY prone to leaks. the valve covers, rear main seal and camshaft/crankshaft seals all go if you dont change the valve. do it, it will cost like $4. cheap insurance.

when you do have the timing belt done, have the camshaft and crankshaft seals done as well. My car never had that done and the PCV vave was never changed either, now, $1800 later, i am leak free. :blink:

CHANGE THE TRANS FLUID...dont neglect this. every 20K if it is still red it doesnt matter. dont wait for it to turn black, it iwll be too late.

congrats, if your car is a 1991, you have one of 15,000 made. if your car is a 1990, you have one of 10,000 made. either way its a rare car. mine is # 14 ever to roll off the assembly line, and its currently undergoing a restoration

Check out the thread titled "the legacy of armyofone's ES250" in the general discussion to find out more about what waswrong with mine. and what could go wrong with yours if not maintianed.

Thanks so much for all the anwsers! And mine is the same beautiful color as yours too! I really look forward to enjoy the car for next few years, I sure will pay special attention to seals and transmission fluid. Hey keep up the good work and don't forget to share.

Thanks so much for all the anwsers! And mine is the same beautiful color as yours too! I really look forward to enjoy the car for next few years, I sure will pay special attention to seals and transmission fluid. Hey keep up the good work and don't forget to share.

and wow, only 78k? i thought mine had low miles...

congrats on you purchase, and welcome to Lexus Owners Club. :)

Hi all,

2) should I change the timing belt soon? the owner's manual said unless it is operated "schedule A" (heavy use), otherwise don't need to but I don't believe it  competely. I use it 90% hwy, so I'm definitely schedule B. Usually when do the rest of you change your timing belt?

Thanks!

Joe

I am the resident ES250 guy, i probably know more about this car than most here. (dont mean to sound arrogant, but i have had this car apart on more than one occasion :) )

17560josh_car_3_med.jpg

17560josh_car_5_med.jpg

as you can see it was still nearly perfect and that was when it was dropping a half a quart of oil a day. i should see no problems going to 100K.

Make sure you CHANGE YOUR PCV VALVE! these cars are EXTREMELY prone to leaks. the valve covers, rear main seal and camshaft/crankshaft seals all go if you dont change the valve. do it, it will cost like $4. cheap insurance.

when you do have the timing belt done, have the camshaft and crankshaft seals done as well. My car never had that done and the PCV vave was never changed either, now, $1800 later, i am leak free. :blink:

CHANGE THE TRANS FLUID...dont neglect this. every 20K if it is still red it doesnt matter. dont wait for it to turn black, it iwll be too late.

congrats, if your car is a 1991, you have one of 15,000 made. if your car is a 1990, you have one of 10,000 made. either way its a rare car. mine is # 14 ever to roll off the assembly line, and its currently undergoing a restoration

Check out the thread titled "the legacy of armyofone's ES250" in the general discussion to find out more about what waswrong with mine. and what could go wrong with yours if not maintianed.

Can I expect the same type of patterns from my 1997 ES 300, I have 92K and am thinking of getting the belt done but if I don't need to I will wait. And when I do get it done I should do the camshaft and crankshaft seals and pcv? Thanks for your help I am not mechanically inclined/

JT

Hi all,

Thanks!

Joe

17560josh_car_3_med.jpg

17560josh_car_5_med.jpg

Can I expect the same type of patterns from my 1997 ES 300, I have 92K and am thinking of getting the belt done but if I don't need to I will wait. And when I do get it done I should do the camshaft and crankshaft seals and pcv? Thanks for your help I am not mechanically inclined/

JT

YES, do the seals and the PCV valve. read my sig, the PCV valve should be done more often than 100K...more like 40-50K and even that is pushing it. if you dont have the pcv valve changed and it clogs, it will cause a leak.

i woudl spring for the timing belt replacement now.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Joe

I just got the following done on my 98 es300 (83K); got done monday for $747.XX

1-timing belt

1-water pump

2 drive belts

2- cam seals

1- crank seals

installed new coolant and checked the normal stuff.

• 3 months later...

Hi! I noticed your knowledge of the ES250. I have a 90 es250, am having problems taking off the egr valve to see if it;s gunked up. Do I have to take off more than the two bolts?

I failed the emissions test recently... the car has 230,000 miles of which I have put on 40,000. The car is still darn peppy for the mileage! Probably the best car I have had! What manual is best for this vehicle?

I just had the timing belt replaced, too bad I didn't read your post before it was done!

Appreciate your kind response,

Brian