Rx400h Available Options April 15

RAID10

I was under the impression that the Prius is considered a mid-size car - with the same amount of room as say, a Camry or Accord. Is it narrower? The RX400h is a 5 passenger vehicle, but isn't the Prius as well? Believe me, I feel that the 400 is perfect, but the way the as-purchased price keeps creeping up, I'll be skipping vacations soon!

I really think that Lexus had to make the "out-the-door" price significantly higher than that of the RX330 so that the 330 sales are not siphoned away. Who would buy an RX330 at $38K if a 400h that gets almost twice the milage and generates more than double the torque were selling for $42K? The same will apply to the highlander, I'm sure. I think the key for me and my wife is to drive and compare the cost, milage, comfort, and responsiveness of each vehicle.

Of course, I will report my findings after we do.

The Prius has the interior size of a midsized car, but the exterior dimensions are closer to a Corolla. Its TECHNICALLY 5 passenger, but 3 adults won't be able to sit across the rear seat, its not all that comfortable for two.

Its a nice car, its just not a luxury car by any stretch of the imagination.

I got somewhat different information from my Lexus dealer in Michigan.

They claim the first production run will have two versions:

Option 1 has a Sticker Price of $52,545.00 including freight. It's fully loaded and the included options are:

EY (Rear seat entertainment)

HS ( Heated front seats)

ML (Mark Levinson)

Option 2 has a sticker price of $50,705.00 also including the freight but no EY option.

For the first run, they are building a total of 434 units. Out of those, 391 are option 2, and 43 are option 1.  This is the total shipments for the Chicago region in the first month.

Perhaps there are regional differences.

A letter arrived from the Sacramento Lexus dealership dated 17 March 2005 saying, "MSRP WITHOUT read entertainment, $50700; WITH rear entertainment, $52540." This seems to confirm what gtfrench got from his dealership.

I just picked up a 2005 RX330 Flint Mica, and I seriously looked at the 400h. I just couldn't justify the 400h. Sure, it has some cool looks, but it's not worth the $8k+ price difference that my delaer drew up. Much better to get a nicer outfitted RX 330.

Everyone would like to have a "green" car -- but not with the crazy costs... it even costs more to insure the 400h over the 330...

Christopher

I just picked up a 2005 RX330 Flint Mica, and I seriously looked at the 400h.  I just couldn't justify the 400h.  Sure, it has some cool looks, but it's not worth the $8k+ price difference that my delaer drew up.  Much better to get a nicer outfitted RX 330. 

Everyone would like to have a "green" car -- but not with the crazy costs...  it even costs more to insure the 400h over the 330...

Christopher

Why does it cost more to insure the 400h?

I just picked up a 2005 RX330 Flint Mica, and I seriously looked at the 400h.  I just couldn't justify the 400h.  Sure, it has some cool looks, but it's not worth the $8k+ price difference that my delaer drew up.   Much better to get a nicer outfitted RX 330. 

Everyone would like to have a "green" car -- but not with the crazy costs...  it even costs more to insure the 400h over the 330...

Christopher

Gosh, have you EVER driven a vehicle that has 650 lbs-ft of torque? That much torque will pin you to the seatback as if you were in an SR-71 Blackbird climbing to cruise elevation!

No, it's not just the green thing that attracts many to the RX400h. It's that all-addictive torque. Once you have it, nothing else will do. My Corvette has 400 lbs-ft of torque and I'm looking forward to that first test drive in the 400h. Then again, it may just spoil me even more.......!

BTW, I doubt that it will cost more to insure the 400h. I called my insurance company last year to inquire as to whether there would be a change in rate between our 94 Nissan Quest minivan and the 400h. Since the agent didn't have info on the 400h, she compared rates between the Quest (value=$4000) and the RX330 (value = $40,000). Our cost for insuring the 330 would be the same or slightly less than the insurance for the Quest. Therefore, I have confidence that there will be little change between the cost to insure the Quest and that to insure the 400h.

The 1st 2 allocations {1 months worth } will ship equipped as determined by lexus. probably nav/lev no dvd. if you want yours with other options contact the dealer now and it will take 90 days if you are up on the list.

The 1st 2 allocations {1 months worth } will ship equipped as determined by lexus. probably nav/lev no dvd. if you want yours with other options contact the dealer now and it will take 90 days if you are up on the list.

Navigation is standard so it will be on all of them. The press releases I've seen recently say the only options are Mark Levinson audio, seat heaters and DVD. At least in California, the first two seem to be options in name only. The information mailed by the Sacramento dealer says that the RX 400h will have one of two option packages - 1) all three options or 2) the ML audio and the seat heaters.

The DVD appears to be the only real option. This matches the information gtfrench posted.

Navigation is standard so it will be on all of them. The press releases I've seen recently say the only options are Mark Levinson audio, seat heaters and DVD. At least in California, the first two seem to be options in name only. The information mailed by the Sacramento dealer says that the RX 400h will have one of two option packages - 1) all three options or 2) the ML audio and the seat heaters.

The DVD appears to be the only real option. This matches the information gtfrench posted.

My sales rep told me the dealers are supposed to be getting showroom 400h's this month. He is going to call me when they arrive. I will update the BLOG

They basically put a V8 enginge into the already great RX 330 and were able to get the mileage lower and more enviromentally friendly and the price is only going to be about $4000. more. I am excited . Looks like it will lease for about $700. month with taxes and fees upfront,. Cant wait