Purchasing 97 Sc400

I finally decided to get rid of my 92 es300 with 267k on it and move to the sc400. Currently the one i am looking at is a 97 with 147k. These miles are high, but i figure it isn't even half of what it is capable of. He is asking 9200 for it. It has pretty worn leather, a couple plastic pieces that are cracked, a little spot of rust above the rear wheel well and around the antenna, it needs a new valve cover gasket (this makes me nervous, what's the deal here?), and new brakes and tires. It's also missing a VIN tag on the front fender, not sure why. I also think i should probably check out the power steering as well. Is this a fair price, and should I be weary of any of these issues? Thanks, and i look forward to hearing what you have to say.

I finally decided to get rid of my 92 es300 with 267k on it and move to the sc400. Currently the one i am looking at is a 97 with 147k.  These miles are high, but i figure it isn't even half of what it is capable of.  He is asking 9200 for it.  It has pretty worn leather, a couple plastic pieces that are cracked, a little spot of rust above the rear wheel well and around the antenna, it needs a new valve cover gasket (this makes me nervous, what's the deal here?), and new brakes and tires.  It's also missing a VIN tag on the front fender, not sure why. I also think i should probably check out the power steering as well. Is this a fair price, and should I be weary of any of these issues? Thanks, and i look forward to hearing what you have to say.

NOT a fiar price for all of those issues, run away. the valve cover leak signifies a not very well maintained car. i havent heard fo very many of these going on the SC, espeically with regular PCV valve changes.

the missing VIN tag signifies the fender has been replaced.

the power steering is EXPENSIVE to repair. a pump could run you as muich as $400 or more and the lines...well, you dont want to go there.

then the labor is a PITA on llines not sure about the pump thoughh.

count on $600 for redoing the leather seats. but for god sake LOOK AT THE AUTO TRANNY FLUID BEFORE BUYING, if it is not red, do not buy. i made that mistake and i will have to pay dearly for it someday. my ES's tranny has suffered severely because of this.

if you cant get him down to >$8,000, run, dont walk, away

As in the movie--"Run Forrest Run!!!" There are plenty of good used SC400s on the market. It may take some time however to find the one you want. Recently a 72,000 mi '93 went for $7500 on Ebay in a nice silver grey color in excellent condition. Whatever year you decide on, bring it to Lexus for their $90 inspection and get their service history and the Carfax history before buying. The 1994 started having the modern R34a AC. The 1996 got the 260hp upgrade and the 1998 got the 290 hp upgrade. Watch out for power steering leaks at approx 75-100,000mi and worn engine,transmission mounts and bushings at 100,000mi+. The timing belt service is expensive so make sure it was done or not due shortly after you buy the car. There have been posts on acceleration hesitation on some 1995 models. I liked the earlier body style of the 1994 and 1996 but the engine/trans/brakes are better in the 1998-2000. Check your local papers, Ebay and Yahoo and you will find a better car and a better deal.

Dont buy any SC without a pre inspection by Lexus.

That price is too high for that car.

:cheers:

As in the movie--"Run Forrest Run!!!"  There are plenty of good used SC400s on the market.  It may take some time however to find the one you want.  Recently a 72,000 mi '93 went for $7500 on Ebay in a nice silver grey color in excellent condition.  Whatever year you decide on, bring it to Lexus for their $90 inspection and get their service history and the Carfax history before buying.  The 1994 started having the modern R34a AC.  The 1996 got the 260hp upgrade and the 1998 got the 290 hp upgrade.  Watch out for power steering leaks at approx 75-100,000mi and worn engine,transmission mounts and bushings at 100,000mi+. The timing belt service is expensive so make sure it was done or not due shortly after you buy the car. There have been posts on acceleration hesitation on some 1995 models.  I liked the earlier body style of the 1994 and 1996 but the engine/trans/brakes are better in the 1998-2000.  Check your local papers, Ebay and Yahoo and you will find a better car and a better deal.

One of the main problems with just running away is that i just haven't found anything similar in this area.  Minnesota is pretty dry right now in the sc market from what i've seen.

Well, if you can somehow buy it wrecked, like I did, it would be much cheaper, I guess it is a BAD DEAL, since I bought my 97 sc400 for 7,000 wrecked....about a 1,000 in work or maybe more.......but mine has like 78000, when I bought it, it had 67,000 miles....

It is cheaper to pick up or ship a good car than it is to take a bad car nearby and try to fix it.:cheers:

I'm with him on this one. You are much better off buying a GOOD car from half way across the country and having it shipped. Shipping would be around $700-900 and good SC400's can be found on autotrader or ebay. Just have them checked out by a Lexus dealer. You might be able to enlist the help from a LOC member who is nearby a car you are interested in. Good luck.

I am dealer located in San Diego. I can help you find a very clean, rust free CA car here. Email me at rrbelloff@hotmail.com if you are interested. You can have any car I find you checked out at the local Lexus dealer.

Thanks

:cheers:

It is cheaper to pick up or ship a good car than it is to take a bad car nearby and try to fix it.:cheers:

I'm with him on this one. You are much better off buying a GOOD car from half way across the country and having it shipped. Shipping would be around $700-900 and good SC400's can be found on autotrader or ebay. Just have them checked out by a Lexus dealer. You might be able to enlist the help from a LOC member who is nearby a car you are interested in. Good luck.

I could not find a decent SC300 or 400 in the Pacific Northwest. I bougt 2 on e-bay. One was a 1998 SC300 with 69 K in Dallas. i was so paranoid I flew down to look at it. It was a plumb color and everytime I saw a white one I wished I had not bought the plumb. I sold the car in Seattle form more than I paid for it including shipping. I bought a 1997 SC400 from Florida for 16,900 plus 1200 shipping. It had 70 K and complete service records. the car showed up in mint condition. There were no similar cars available in the Seattle area for under 22K. That was a year and a half ago. From what I get from the posts is that I may have paid too much but in this area ther are few SC's for sale. If you buy one from e-bay make sure the seller has a good feedback rating and definatly get a car fax report. I checked out the first one flying red eye to Dallas but took a chance on the one in Florida. If I had it to do over I would have held out for a 98 SC400. The extra HP and the transmision are better. Also a few other things like the visor garage remote were available on the 98. I still love my 97. I think you are better off buying a cherry car at a premium price than looking for a deal. Most SC's seem to be in Texas or Florida