Break-in Required For New Rx 330?

2tired2floss

Howdy, y'all...I'm new to the forum and soon to be a proud owner of a 2005 Thundercloud RX, which is due to arrive within the next 7 to 10 days. I know this will be in the owner's manual, but right now I'm planning some trips that are just around the corner, so your answers would be greatly appreciated. Is there an "official" break-in period recommended for the RX 330? If so, for how many miles? And if so, is there a speed that one is not supposed to exceed during the break-in? Thanks!

Howdy, y'all...I'm new to the forum and soon to be a proud owner of a 2005 Thundercloud RX, which is due to arrive within the next 7 to 10 days.  I know this will be in the owner's manual, but right now I'm planning some trips that are just around the corner, so your answers would be greatly appreciated.  Is there an "official" break-in period recommended for the RX 330?  If so, for how many miles?  And if so, is there a speed that one is not supposed to exceed during the break-in?  Thanks!

best to follow your owners manual, i always say the first oil change, to be on the safe side.

The break in period is the 1st 500 miles. The manual states to vary the speeds. So a constant speed on the freeway is not advised. I would drive a combination of street & freeway & on the freeway vary the speeds from 55-65 mph. This will help the the piston rings seat properly.

The break in rules for Toyotas today are the same as they were 30 years ago:

For the first 1000 miles you should:

1. Maintain engine speed between 2000 - 4000 rpm.

2. Do not drive faster than 65 MPH

3. Accelerate gently - don't floor the gas pedal

4. Do not drive more than 5-10 minutes at one single speed. Example: if crusing on the freeway at 65 MPH, let up on the gas pedal every 5-10 minutes and coast down to 45 MPH, then re-accelerate back to 65 MPH

5. Avoid abrupt stops. Instead, brake gently and gradually for the first 200 miles.

After the break-in period keep following these same rules for maximum vehicle life except you can now go 80-85 MPH if you want to and instead of varying speeds on the highway, it's better to hold a steady speed.

Beware of common hillbilly myths about break in like:

"You have to floor the gas pedal occassionally to help seat the piston rings."

"Modern cars are already fully broken in at the factory"