Just Bought '91 Ls400, I'm A Newbie . . .

jmr_91LS400

post-16289-1110652169_thumb.jpgRecently purchased my ride for $7.5K with just 81, 000 miles on the clock! Nothing but rave reviews from friends, neighbors, co-workers etc., all think the car is a much newer model. Also just rec'd in the mail the comprhensive "Mitchell Repair Guide" on CD-Rom on eBay for just $12.95, definitely worth its weight in gold, seller "ez_stuff" will hook you up! Anyway, the PS pump is now taking on the dreaded whine that sounds like a cross between a supercharger and a siren, no leaks yet tho. eBay sellers "dynatechcorp_com" out of North Hollywood, CA sells remanufactured pumps in the $125-$150 range, has anyone bought a pump from them yet? Feedback rating is 100%, so I assume they're all good. Also the website "buyautoparts.com" sells a PS hose (Omega Hyd Hoses, part #M2020-64342) for $137. Is this a qualtity item, would rather not buy from the "Lexus Stealers" as one member appropriately put it. Finally when bleeding the pump, is it best to leave the reservoir cap completely off or leave it screwed on loosely wouldn't want PS fluid spewing out. Thanks guys, looks like I'll be a member for a long, long time . . .

Study the LS400 power steering archives. It could take you a whole day because there is so much info there. Both here and at ClubLexus.com.

Replacing hoses and pumps is probably a waste because they are really not likely worn out yet and not the source of your whine. More likely the steering rack solenoid filter screen is clogged and needs to be cleaned. The metal filter screen inside the fluid reservoir could also be blocked. Blockages = high pressures, leaks and whines.

Sounds like you need to check the power steering fluid level. If it is low, add enough Dexron III automatic transmission fluid to bring the fluid up to the proper level. You should then bleed the system by turning the steering wheel lock to lock a few times.

Check the fluid level closely for a few days. If you are losing fluid and there are no visible leaks, the air control valve in the bottom of the power steering pump may have failed. When this happens, fluid is drawn into the engine's air intake through one or both of the hoses that connect the power steering pump to the engine. A good indication of this problem is a puff of white smoke from the exhaust when you crank the car.

This problem has been discussed numerous times. Do a search.

Welcome to LOC, :cheers: , nice looking 91.

I'm not sure about the manual you got but you can download an official manual from Toyota (TIS) for only $10... http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/repairmanual.html

I've got some power steering tutorials on my site so check those out. I'm sure you'll find other helpful info there too, and of course, LOC has tons of great info if you search around for it. Enjoy!