Scratched My 2005!

Hi all,

I hate to say my three month old ES now has fresh scratches on the driver's side bumper, actually a dime sized area at the bottom edge of the bumper. And bad scratches on the molding on the driver's door. The scrapes/scatches are right down to the metal (or whatever the black underskin is). :cries:

Can I repair with touch up paint? Or am I in for a whopper of a bill? The scratches are 2 inches in length at the most. Extremely thin.

The other, like I said, is dime sized. There are no dents.

Please advise.

You CAN use touch up paint (I'd use a touchup pen) and since its low on the car it MIGHT not look too noticable...

Thanks much! Now I can sleep. One last question, promise! Can I get the pen and paint from dealer or should I order off internet? Will I have rust issues down the road? I guess that's two questions. :geek:

You CAN use touch up paint (I'd use a touchup pen) and since its low on the car it MIGHT not look too noticable...

Thanks much! Now I can sleep. One last question, promise! Can I get the pen and paint from dealer or should I order off internet? Will I have rust issues down the road? I guess that's two questions.:geek:

You can get the tough-up pen + paint from your dealer. It shouldn't be very expensive; probably like $10 depending on the amt. and color. Before putting the paint on, rub the surface with rubing alcohol w/ a cotton ball for ex. This is the best way to clean, and get the best adhesion. And isn't the front bumper plastic? This would mean that it couldn't possible rust? But i'm not sure; it COULD be metal someone correct me ;) If it is metal it should last a long time.

Not all dealers have the pens. The pens are made by an outside company and they make reseller agreements with certain dealers. Best to just order it from www.autovisuals.com

The bumper is plastic.

I guess it all does depend on the dealer. I know for a fact my dealer has the pen b/c i have gotten it from them once before.

and since the bumper is plastic it will never rust. The paint should stick better as well if prepared right.

Yep, its whoever becomes a reseller. Lexus themselves don't make a pen.

Thanks all! And yes, I feel foolish about the rust comment. :lol:

...and if there are any other scratches on the body of the car (which is metal) touch tehm up right away!! If it's deep enough to scrape off even the primer, then the metal will rist and peal off paint around it!! BEWARE it's happened to me and it looks absolutely horrible!!

None of the 5 dealers here sell them...

Its best to just order it online. Probably be cheaper anyways.

Hi all,

I just called my dealer, I was advised NOT to get the auto pen, that they quit selling them because people had too many problems using them. :blink:

They sell touch up paint for $5. Used to sell the auto pen for $10.

I'm about to order from autovisuals, but will wait after some feedback from folks who have used both the pen and regular touch up paint. Please advise. :(

If you have problem using the touchup pen then well...you're not mentally capable of touching up your car in the first place. Just a ploy to get you into the dealership to spend money.

I have been touching up cars for years with the pen and with normal paint, no comparison the pen is SO much easier and gives such a nicer result. Not to mention the paint used in the pen is the same formulation as whats used on the car vs the touchup in a bottle that isn't, makes for a better color match. Touchup paint in a bottle globs and bobs and the brushstrokes don't put down a smooth coat.

Pen all the way.

Remember that the dealer told LexKid not to wax his new ES for 30 days, they're hardly a trustworthy source of information on anything.

i second the pen.. alot better hand control over what youre painting. using a paint bottle is like using a bottle of white out. also like white out paint bottle becomes guey and crusty over time so shelf life isn't very good.