Rx400h Question

LexKid630

It does have a 3.3 liter engine however when configured with the electric motor/generators it gives you the equivalent of a 4.0 liter engine which is the size of a small v-8.

.....and 650 lbs-ft of torque!!!!

The engine in the RX400h makes use of the atkinson cycle (same as the Prius) therefore its HP/Torque output is reduced by about 30% from the norm to increase fuel economy.

Electric motors make up the difference.

Correct, the hybrid technology on the RX400h is 4th generation & is different than the system on the Prius. Hybrid technology originated in Japan in 1997. 2nd generation was in 2000 with the intro of the Prius in the US. Then in 2004 came their 3rd generation technology on the redesigned Prius. All 4 systems are different.

Correct, the hybrid technology on the RX400h is 4th generation & is different than the system on the Prius.  Hybrid technology originated in Japan in 1997. 2nd generation was in 2000 with the intro of the Prius in the US. Then in 2004 came their 3rd generation technology on the redesigned Prius.  All 4 systems are different.

do they still use the regenerative braking? i think thats the best system ever devised. i always thought there was a lot of wasted energy in a braking system.

Yep it has regenerative braking, its supposed to be smoother than on the Prius though. Thats a good thing, the Prius always feels to me like it needs brakes because the regenerative brakes grind metal to metal.

I know someone with a 2000 Prius that got over 70,000 before the brake pads had to be replaced. You're right the regenerative brakes on the Prius are very noisy. I understand that the RX400h has a lot more insulation & also the front windshield uses acoustic materials to counter the regenerative brake sound.

An opportunity for someone to custom grind new intake cams, convert to the atkinson cycle?

Change an RX400h to an RX330h and increase the gas mileage by 30%?

The RX (harrier) is available with a 2.4l engine in Japan. Just add the hybrid system and you have your RX330h with excellent mpg. The 400h is more about power than economy.

An opportunity for someone to custom grind new intake cams, convert to the atkinson cycle?

Change an RX400h to an RX330h and increase the gas mileage by 30%?

The RX (harrier) is available with a 2.4l engine in Japan. Just add the hybrid system and you have your RX330h with excellent mpg. The 400h is more about power than economy.

It wouldn't be too funny if an RX330h gets blown away by a less expensive RX330. Buyers of mid to large sized SUVs want plenty of power. Spending more money with less power is one risk that Lexus does NOT want to take. The Ford Escape hybrid provides plenty of MPGs for those who want the big fuel milage numbers regardless of power loss.

The RX400h is going to be marketed as a performance upgrade that also gets the fuel economy of a compact car 27-31 mpg. I spoke to a dealer employee that drove it during a training class & he said the acceleration & torque is far superior to the RX330. He stated instant power off the line & power on demand at freeway speeds as well. Suppose to put out 268 horse power???

The RX400h is going to be marketed as a performance upgrade that also gets the fuel economy of a compact car  27-31 mpg.  I spoke to a dealer employee that drove it during a training class & he said the acceleration & torque is far superior to the RX330.  He stated instant power off the line & power on demand at freeway speeds as well.  Suppose to put out 268 horse power???

Correct, and 650 lbs-ft of torque! This should be one "sleeper" that can be very entertaining at stoplights!