Hello all,

I have 17X7 aftermarket rims and looking for evryone's recommendation on tire width. Can I go with a 235 width on these rims? My guess is that 235 is the most I can go on a 17X7 rim. If I have two adults in the back will they scrape against the metal?

Right now on my 93 GS300, I have the stock rims with 215X60X16 and 225X60X16 and they look and ride great. Thinking about going to 225X55X17 and 235X55X17 or 235X50X17. I like the staggard look and don't want any spacers. I also don't care to rotate the tires. The summer tires I want will last me 20K miles the most anyway. My next set of rims, I'll make sure I get 17X8 (front) and 17X9 (back). I understand that would be ideal for staggard look. However, these 17X7s is what I got and don't plan on buying new rims this year.

The reason I want 50 or 55 series is so I can fill the wheel well as much as I can with the 17s without lowering the car with aftermarket springs. I think 60 series would be to high.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Remember, when deciding what series to get, "series" is a measurment of ratio, so 50 series is going to have a different sidewall height on a 235 tire than a 225 tire. At any rate, here is a great tire size calculator where you can plug in the original tire size, and then plug in the tire size you are contemplating an it will tell you the difference in all the dimensions, between the two tires. http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp -It will also tell you the max/min wheel width you can use with any tire, so you should be set my friend. Just plug in the #'s!

I just bought a set of 17x8's and am putting 235X50's on, and the total diameter is only .39% difference from the original 215/60/16's, so when my speedometer reads 60, I'll actually be doing 59.7 which is no big deal to me. I can use a 6-8 inch rim with this tire. I think you'll be surprised how wide you can go with a 7" rim...

My recommendation -You could do a 245/50/17 with a 7" rim and the overall height of the tire would be about the same as your original 16's. Fit like a glove and speedometer read 58.8 at 60mph. I don't think the 245 would rub.

If you really want staggared, do 245/50/17 in the back and 235/50/17 in the front and everything will be cool, and overall heights very close to the originals.

Remember, when deciding what series to get, "series" is a measurment of ratio, so 50 series is going to have a different sidewall height on a 235 tire than a 225 tire.  At any rate, here is a great tire size calculator where you can plug in the original tire size, and then plug in the tire size you are contemplating an it will tell you the difference in all the dimensions, between the two tires.  http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp -It will also tell you the max/min wheel width you can use with any tire, so you should be set my friend.  Just plug in the #'s! 

I just bought a set of 17x8's and am putting 235X50's on, and the total diameter is only .39% difference from the original 215/60/16's, so when my speedometer reads 60, I'll actually be doing 59.7 which is no big deal to me.  I can use a 6-8 inch rim with this tire.  I think you'll be surprised how wide you can go with a 7" rim... 

My recommendation -You could do a 245/50/17 with a 7" rim and the overall height of the tire would be about the same as your original 16's.  Fit like a glove and speedometer read 58.8 at 60mph.  I don't think the 245 would rub.

If you really want staggared, do 245/50/17 in the back and 235/50/17 in the front and everything will be cool, and overall heights very close to the originals.

Thank you Mitymouse. I appreciate your insight. The web link you listed was very helpful. Thanks again.