Control Panel Out & Won't Shift Into R Or P

Wondered if anyone is familiar with this problem? Driving home last night, I hopped on it a little, and two seconds later my control panel went out (clock, radio, heater). When I arrived home the car(98 GS400) would not shift into reverse or park. I removed the shift tab to put the car in park, and checked all visible fuses inside and outside the car. They all looked good. Any ideas? Thanks, Dave.

Just a note, fuses can fail without being able to be noticed by casual examination. If you actually remove each fuse, you can easily see if they work. The easier method would be use a test lamp and check the terminals on each side of the top of each fuse. Circuits which are powered when the ignition is in the ACC or ON position will show power at both terminals.

Just a note, fuses can fail without being able to be noticed by casual examination. If you actually remove each fuse, you can easily see if they work. The easier method would be use a test lamp and check the terminals on each side of the top of each fuse. Circuits which are powered when the ignition is in the ACC or ON position will show power at both terminals.

Exactly! I don't know how many times someone said "all the fuses look fine". I break out the DMM only to find a fuse blown :blink:

Exactly! I don't know how many times someone said "all the fuses look fine". I break out the DMM only to find a fuse blown :blink:

does the tranny still work? can you shift it out of park and into R?

I could shift into P and R, only if I used the emergency release.

But. its not a worry any more. I stayed with the radio fuse idea and found the wire had been tapped, and over crimped; eventually cutting off the juice.

Thanks for your suggestions, it lead me in the right direction!