97 Ls 400 Nakamachi 6 Cd Changer Not Working!help

Hybrid-JD

okie.. heres the problem.. i turn on my car today.. turned on my system via the FM tuner and everythign works.. antena comes up.. radio turns on.. but then i decide that i want to listen to a cd.. so i press the CD button and BAM.. nothing happens?? so i'm like wtf? so i open up my cd changer case thigny and look.. and the eject button is not greeen either? so i'm like.. omg.. what is going on..... so i press eject and nothing hapens..but the radio still works.........

so i'm like freaking out.. i decided i can't do anything as of yet.. so i go to work.. for a few hours.. COME BACK.. and turn on my car press the cd button again and BAM... it starts working again!! so i'm like.. what the hell was that?

just wondering what it could of been? could it be the cold weather? since i' do live in Canada hah .. could it be a problem thats gonna reoccur? has anyone had the same problem with this ..? and also..... if it is a on going problem.. and i do decide to change my system.. would it be a big problem if i was to install one of those dvd players? would i need custom work done to make it fit?

btw. this is the 1997 Nakamachi 6 cd changer system..

thanks in advance everyone!!

concerned ls400 owner.........

Jimmy

okie.. heres the problem.. i turn on my car today.. turned on my system via the FM tuner and everythign works.. antena comes up.. radio turns on.. but then i decide that i want to listen to a cd.. so i press the CD button and BAM.. nothing happens??  so i'm like wtf? so i open up my cd changer case thigny and look.. and the eject button is not greeen either? so i'm like.. omg.. what is going on..... so i press eject and nothing hapens..but the radio still works.........

so i'm like freaking out.. i decided i can't do anything as of yet.. so i go to work.. for a few hours.. COME BACK.. and turn on my car press the cd button again and BAM... it starts working again!! so i'm like.. what the hell was that?

just wondering what it could of been? could it be the cold weather? since i' do live in Canada hah .. could it be a problem thats gonna reoccur? has anyone had the same problem with this ..? and also..... if it is a on going problem.. and i do decide to change my system.. would it be a big problem if i was to install one of those dvd players? would i need custom work done to make it fit?

btw. this is the 1997 Nakamachi 6 cd changer system..

thanks in advance everyone!!

concerned ls400 owner.........

Jimmy

i dont know, but if it ever goes, thast $1,000 out of your wallet...at least.

Some repair shops quote "fairly low" costs for repairing Lexus CD changes - here is one:  http://carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

They rebuilt my CD changer a couple of years ago for $175 (in my previous '95 LS400 w/the Pioneer system).

i had no idea a CD changer could be rebuilt...strange...but i suppose if it works! :)

so far from what you described it might be a lot of things, but first thing you check is the loose contact. unplug and plug the harness, check all wiring b4 sending anything anywhere.

possible condensation from the cold, damp, morning on the laser lense, or cd itself? I've had that happen to me in my former 01' Maxima. Once the car was warm and dried out inside, it worked fine. Happened on a cold, clamy morning. Also, is the cd you were trying to play an original or a burned copy? The changers will play burned copies just fine, but sometimes they have a tougher time finding that initial track to follow, especially if it's a damp morning. Just my 2 cents, which is about all I've got left thanks to my new shocks, diff bushings, strut rods, carrier bushings, tranny and motor mounts, and not to mention $2.35 a gallon. Hahaha :pirate: