Did They Put The Wrong Oil Filter On My Car?

blake918

This morning I had my oil changed at the local Toyota dealer(the nearest Lexus dealer is 80 miles away, and I've heard enough horror stories about Jiffy Lube to never to set foot there.); I usually do the oil changes myself, but I don't have the space and tools to do it here. I dropped the car, and it was ready shortly after. When I returned, I looked at the recipt, and it shows that they put a Toyota 90915-YZZD1 filter on my car. Lexls's(I know he has a '91, but it has a 1uzfe) site and Irontoad's site both show a 90915-YZZD3 for the LS. Is the D1 the worng filter, and if so, do I need to go back and yell at them and have them put the correct filter on as to avoid any damages? I put about 150 miles on the car this morning, and all seemed well. dry.gif

What do yall think?

I got the D1 from Toyota dealer. Apparently, I've read somewhere that the manufacturing of the filter changed country ?

quote=blake918,Mar 10 2005, 08:04 PM]

This morning I had my oil changed at the local Toyota dealer(the nearest Lexus dealer is 80 miles away, and I've heard enough horror stories about Jiffy Lube to never to set foot there.); I usually do the oil changes myself, but I don't have the space and tools to do it here at the university. I dropped the car, and it was ready shortly after. When I returned, I looked at the recipt, and it shows that they put a Toyota 90915-YZZD1 filter on my car. Lexls's(I know he has a '91, but it has a 1uzfe) site and Irontoad's site both show a 90915-YZZD3 for the LS. Is the D1 the worng filter, and if so, do I need to go back and yell at them and have them put the correct filter on as to avoid any damages? I put about 150 miles on the car this morning, and all seemed well. <_<

What do yall think?

Looks like they put the wrong filter on, that sucks but it's not a huge deal. I'm not a mechanic so I can't tell you if it will or will not damage your engine. However, my guess is that it's not going to last as long. I would have them change it....for free of course!

I just went back to the dealer. The service manager came out and showed me a Lexus manual that stated that either the D1 or D3 could be used, and he assured me that the car would be fine. They said next time I can specify which filter I want since they both cost the same amount. He said generally they only put the D3 on the big trucks and suvs.

It is probably cheaper- which is why they installed it. I am guessing that the only difference is that the "D1" is probably shorter than the "D3"? Businesses are cutting corners everywhere these days. Not saying this is the case in this matter, but it seems possible. Good to hear though that no damage will occur.

I just went back to the dealer. The service manager came out and showed me a Lexus manual that stated that either the D1 or D3 could be used, and he assured me that the car would be fine. They said next time I can specify which filter I want since they both cost the same ammount. He said generally they only put the D3 on the big trucks and suvs.

It is probably cheaper- which is why they installed it.  I am guessing that the only difference is that the "D1" is probably shorter than the "D3"?  Businesses are cutting corners everywhere these days.  Not saying this is the case in this matter, but it seems possible.  Good to hear though that no damage will occur.   

I was thinking the same thing, but the two filters cost the same amount at this particular dealer-both are $6.25. The manual stated that either can be put on the car, so I'm hopeful! He said next time they will be more than happy to put the D3 in; I'm not so sure there will be a next time though! :pirate:

• 2 years later...

I changed the oil on our 2006 RX400h yesterday and finished putting things away and realized I had marked the Toyota filter box "LS400". I double checked and sure enough, I had installed a YZZD3 oil filter instead of the YZZD1! Somewhat panicked I called the Lexus dealership and asked if I should take out the YZZD3 and replace with the YZZD1! The rep asked me to hold while she checked with the service people. She came back on the line and said they told her "yes, since the filters are different capacities and those two were different!" I drove my LS400 down to the Toyota dealership and asked for the '2006 RX400h' oil filter and they told me I needed the YZZD1! I then explained to the parts rep what I had done. He expressed his opinion was that it would probably be fine if I didn't make the replacement but he'd sell it to me anyway. He then brought BOTH out and we looked at them and agreed that since the YZZD3 was LARGER than the YZZD1 I was probably in BETTER shape. Had it been the other way, then maybe I would have needed to swap!

My question is :unsure: 'Can I use consistently the YZZD3 on the Lexus 2006 RX400h with confidence' and believe if anything, I'm 'overfiltering' the oil? Since I have both the '98 LS400 and '06 RX400h, I would prefer to only 'stock' one type filter and use for both cars. Buying them in quantity does save a buck or so! Can use of the YZZD3 on the '06 RX400h have a negative effect on the WARRANTY?? :unsure:

Given the choice, especially at the same price, I would use the D3. Better filtering. Both have a check valve and as long as the diameter of the rubber on the filter matches the diameter of the mounting, you're better off with the D3.

Bigger filters hold more oil. That is good.

<_<

The only difference in filters that I can think of is thread size, placement of the O ring (as long as it fits the flat portion of the filter mount this not an issue}, and pressure relief valve size/tension. They are all probably quite similar. I think the idea is to route some of your oil through filter material and once that is accomplished, there is no more magic.

I bet that there are a bunch of filters that will fit the Toyota/Lexus that will cause zero problems. I even bet that Ford filters still fit them. They did in the eighties anyway and held a lot of oil.

Bigger filters hold more oil. That is good.

<_<

The only difference in filters that I can think of is thread size, placement of the O ring (as long as it fits the flat portion of the filter mount this not an issue}, and pressure relief valve size/tension. They are all probably quite similar. I think the idea is to route some of your oil through filter material and once that is accomplished, there is no more magic.

I bet that there are a bunch of filters that will fit the Toyota/Lexus that will cause zero problems. I even bet that Ford filters still fit them. They did in the eighties anyway and held a lot of oil.

The only difference the 2 filters will be is in the internal capacity and flow rate of the filter. By changing to a larger or smaller filter, you are only changing the capacity of the oiling system and therefore changing the oil capacity when doing an oil change, that is it. there is no over or under filtration, there is just a flow rate and that is probably restricted by the internal passages of the engine and not the oil filter. I would NOT sweat these 2 filters sizes. I would get the correct one in the future though, just for the capacity issue when you are doing an oil change. Muscle cars use the largest filter that will fit, not the correct one and that is just to keep up with the hi flow oil pumps they use. We are using stock pumps and they dont require oversized filters. internally, they may even use the same cartridge, just a larger case.

I have a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix, at this time I cannot remember the filter numbers, but I had put on two different filters, one is bigger than the other, the car has been running fine with both of them. The bigger one is easier to pull out since in that application you have restricted space if you use the smaller one. The engine fine thank you after almost 18 years and no rebuild, no new valve O-ring, pistons etc. I wood use the bigger filter on a Lex, even as the smaller one would make no difference since neither of them change the direction or restricts the flow of oil.

CPR

• 1 month later...

I was not sure whether I really needed to use the Toyota filters or not. I have been using Purolator on

my American cars and liked them pretty well. When I called my local Lexus dealer, the parts manager said he

had the D3 filters for $8.95 each. I remembered someone on this site mentioning a package of filters so I asked

him how much a 10 pack would be. Turns out he sold me the 10-pack for $50. Not bad at $5 each.

When I got home and made my first oil change using these Toyota filters, I must say I was impressed. The metal opening

is all wrapped in cellophane for protection. When I removed the wrapping, I found factory grease on the O-ring! I didnt even

have to oil the seal. And an O-ring instead of a flat rubber gasket. Wow. Nice stuff. Glad I bought the Toyota filters.