'03 Gs300 Radio Died

Head unit working fine one minute and completely dead the next. Checked both fuses and both are okay. Would like to pull the unit from the dash and check connections, but the dealer says that it is theft deterrent and requires 'special' tools. Anybody pulled the head unit out and willing to share knowledge? Anything else that I need to check before removing the unit? Would really rather avoid paying the dealer $650 for new unit plus installation.

New to the site, thanks for the pointers.

Why do you have to pay $650? Your car still under manufacturers warranty.

lotsa miles, 57K to be exact. I told them that this was a 'non-mileage' related piece of equipment and that the time factor was more applicable than the 50k limit, but they essentially said 'too bad, $650 please'

Why do you have to pay $650? Your car still under manufacturers warranty.

lotsa miles, 57K to be exact. I told them that this was a 'non-mileage' related piece of equipment and that the time factor was more applicable than the 50k limit, but they essentially said 'too bad, $650 please'

Try another dealer <_< Is the car completely stock with no add ons to the stereo? If so, I can almost guarantee you it's NOT the connections. The harnesses are locked in to the radio, they don't just come out or loose.

not sure if 1999 gs400 radio matches up- if so I have one in excellent condition w/o climate control portion.

includes the bracket and lexus oem radio.

em me josh_f1234@yahoo.com

Head unit working fine one minute and completely dead the next.  Checked both fuses and both are okay.  Would like to pull the unit from the dash and check connections, but the dealer says that it is theft deterrent and requires 'special' tools.  Anybody pulled the head unit out and willing to share knowledge?  Anything else that I need to check before removing the unit?  Would really rather avoid paying the dealer $650 for new unit plus installation.

Head unit working fine one minute and completely dead the next.  Checked both fuses and both are okay.  Would like to pull the unit from the dash and check connections, but the dealer says that it is theft deterrent and requires 'special' tools.  Anybody pulled the head unit out and willing to share knowledge?  Anything else that I need to check before removing the unit?  Would really rather avoid paying the dealer $650 for new unit plus installation.

Is it just the sound that cuts out or is it the power to the headunit ?

I would say power as he stated"Head unit working fine one minute and completely dead the next. Checked both fuses and both are okay" B)

I would say power as he stated"Head unit working fine one minute and completely dead the next. Checked both fuses and both are okay" B)

mm03gs3, Is it just the sound that cuts out or is it the power to the headunit ?

• 2 weeks later...