Air/fuel Sensor

mwilson83

Hello, this is my first post:

Monday, I had the rear seal replaced (under warrenty) in my 2000 RX-300. When I picked it up yesterday and drove throughout the day, I noticed the check engine light came on after a series of short trips. I called the Lexus dealer and he said it may be some "trash" in the system as a result of the repair.

I took the car in this AM and he scanned the system. The tech. said it was the air/fuel sensor in the cat. converter. Said it would run about $350 to repair. I commented how the car was just in his shop yesterday and it seemed odd that the check engine light was on now. HE said these things can go out any time. He reset the CE light. However, it has since come back on after I have driven the car today.

I am wondering about my options and I have a few ?s. I know some may be dumb :)

1. Could this sensor have been damaged as a result of the replacement of the rear seal?

2. Would this be covered under warrenty? (2000 RX-300, 68k miles)?

3. Is this something I could replace? I am no mechanic but have performed minor repairs in the past.

4. Any/all suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

Mark

Hello, this is my first post:

Monday, I had the rear seal replaced (under warrenty) in my 2000 RX-300.  When I picked it up yesterday and drove throughout the day, I noticed the check engine light came on after a series of short trips.  I called the Lexus dealer and he said it may be some "trash" in the system as a result of the repair. 

I took the car in this AM and he scanned the system.  The tech. said it was the air/fuel sensor in the cat. converter.  Said it would run about $350 to repair.  I commented how the car was just in his shop yesterday and it seemed odd that the check engine light was on now.  HE said these things can go out any time.  He reset the CE light.  However, it has since come back on after I have driven the car today.

I am wondering about my options and I have a few ?s.  I know some may be dumb :)

1. Could this sensor have been damaged as a result of the replacement of the rear seal?

2. Would this be covered under warrenty?  (2000 RX-300, 68k miles)?

3. Is this something I could replace?  I am no mechanic but have performed minor repairs in the past.

4. Any/all suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

Mark

I was hoping someone would resoond. I took the car by autozone and they confirmed the code was P1130 - Air/Fuel Sensor malfunction - Bank 1 Sensor 1.

I have read other posts on this subject but am not sure where B1 S1 is? Is this the sensor b4 the cat. convertor?

Looking for any helpful info. as I would like to replace this myself.

Ask politely and professionally for the repair under the Lexus warranty. Some dealerships will apply what is known as a "goodwill warranty" to customers who experience certain early failures. I've received such gestures (including the replacement of our failed air/fuel ratio sensor at about the same mileage you currently have) from our local dealership on multiple occasions since mid-2004, and I attribute that to doing the research, determining that our specific problem is common and probably premature, and staying professional but firm in my approach with the service manager.

Be aware that many of us have experienced multiple sensor failures between 50,000 and 80,000 miles. This does seem to be a common problem in the RX series. Some exhaust system components are covered in certain states to 8 years or 80,000 miles regardless of manufacturer, so do your research and go ask for what you want. Start by checking what your owners manual has to say about warranty coverage for your exhaust system. Look for specific components listed such as the various sensors involved. Good luck in your efforts.

Mark,

I have a 2001 with 69K. I found out that the air/fuel sensors are very easily contaminated. I got a little engine degreaser near my front one and started getting the CEL and ABS trouble lights. The good news is, after several days of driving it must have burned itself clean. I just reset the trouble code by pulling the EFI fuse, waiting 30 seconds, and putting it back in ( engine off ). This low cost method may be worth a try. Since you know the code is sensor related I don't think there is much risk in giving it a try.

Good luck.

Russ