Valve Clearence Check

my car has reached 70,000 miles and ive never had the valve clearence checked nor adjusted? should i have this done?

do u hear a taping that increaces with rpm? because that is the noize that tells u you need a valve adjusment.

during initial start up i hear it as the car is idling, but im not sure if its continuous with acceleration.

any idea on the price of getting it checked and adjusted? (im taking it to a toyota dealership tomorrow)

i have a different engine, but i have almost 145K and its never been done according to what little service records there are, mine are working fine :)

my car has reached 70,000 miles and ive never had the valve clearence checked nor adjusted? should i have this done?

Your owners manual says the valve clearance should be checked at 60,000 miles. You can skip this service if:

- you don't care about maintaining optimum engine power, smoothness, quietness and fuel economy

- you don't care about achieving maximum engine life.

Your owners manual says the valve clearance should be checked at 60,000 miles. You can skip this service if:

- you don't care about maintaining optimum engine power, smoothness, quietness and fuel economy

motion carried to have it done....im definently having it done

motion carried to have it done....im definently having it done

Before you go and just have it done. Have your tech do an audible check on the valves. Valve adjustment is a pricey procedure, so I would have it checked first and then go from there.

.im definently having it done

Your next challenge is to find a tech with meticulous work habits - one who cares about accuracy and doesn't have a "this is good enough" attitude about valve adjusting. An audible check is not very accurate because it cannot detect overly tight valves (because tight valves are quiet) and by the time a valve cleanance is loose enough to make a ticking noise then it is severely loose.

Yes checking valve clearances manually is a bit expensive labor wise and one way to save money is to have the clearances checked when the timing belt is changed because the labor needed to perform both tasks is, in part, dupicated.

STOP THE PRESS.....HOLD THE MAYO

i didnt get the valve clearence check, because the technicians said it would cost me $350 not including labor or parts (new gaskets) and take about 5 hours.

being that i dont have that much to throw down, ill have to wait on that.

STOP THE PRESS.....HOLD THE MAYO

i didnt get the valve clearence check, because the technicians said it would cost me $350 not including labor or parts (new gaskets) and take about 5 hours.

being that i dont have that much to throw down, ill have to wait on that.

Yup, knew it was going to be expensive. I could only imagine it would be even more expensive if you took it to Lexus.

.im definently having it done

Yes checking valve clearances manually is a bit expensive labor wise and one way to save money is to have the clearances checked when the timing belt is changed because the labor needed to perform both tasks is, in part, dupicated.

This is not true. Checking valve clearance doesn't require removing the timingbelt. Valve clearance job will cost around $350-$500. It does take time.

JP Importz