Fuel Leak?

Wilfred

Hello

This just happend, I was filling up at the servo, and then when that was full, i drove to get air for the tyres. As i was doing the rear right tyre, i noticed there was a big leak, then it slowed to a drop and now hopefully nothing now. I tried to smell it thinking it could be petrol. Im not 100% sure but i think it was petrol. Is it possible that i just overfilled and its coming back out somewhere?

Anyone else had this problem? If it was just an overfill probably nothing else to investigate into right

thanks

Oh its an 1990 LS400

I am guessing that it was perhaps gasoline that spilled over. I know that a few months ago, when I had my 1992 Buick Park Avenue, I was filling the fuel tank and there was a malfunction at the pump- where it did not automatically turn off when the fuel tank was full and gasoline started pouring out. I told the attendant and they said it had been doing that all day to others as well, because was broken. One would think that they would put an out of order sign on the broken gasoline pump. Perhaps the pump there was broken as well?

:unsure:

Hello

This just happend, I was filling up at the servo, and then when that was full, i drove to get air for the tyres. As i was doing the rear right tyre, i noticed there was a big leak, then it slowed to a drop and now hopefully nothing now. I tried to smell it thinking it could be petrol. Im not 100% sure but i think it was petrol. Is it possible that i just overfilled and its coming back out somewhere?

Anyone else had this problem? If it was just an overfill probably nothing else to investigate into right

thanks

Oh its an 1990 LS400

If I remember correctly, when I had my trunk all taken apart there was a drain line that ran from the fuel area. Open the fuel door and look for a little hole near the bottom. If I remember correctly that area drains into that tube and then out a drain location just behind the rear wheel. So my guess is that the pump either over filled your car or the pump leaked a little as you filled and some gas spilled out of the system. Watch for a possible leak, but it's probably not a big deal.

If I remember correctly, when I had my trunk all taken apart there was a drain line that ran from the fuel area.  Open the fuel door and look for a little hole near the bottom.  If I remember correctly that area drains into that tube and then out a drain location just behind the rear wheel.  So my guess is that the pump either over filled your car or the pump leaked a little as you filled and some gas spilled out of the system. Watch for a possible leak, but it's probably not a big deal.

Ok that makes sense cause theres nothing leaking or anything now anymore. thanks

:chairshot: that happen to me before, I was filling the tank up and it over flow, all over the right side fender and tire. I thought i had a leak going into the interior of my car also. but found out that I had it on my hand, and shoe, and tracked it into my car. my steering wheel cover stunk also, so i got rid of it. no more smell of gas in the interior of vehicle :cheers: