Highest Mileage

maxed_out

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I am now up to 323,000 miles and still running strong on my 1991 Ls400! Awesome car! Daffy :D

This is the only place that I can go and get excited that I only have around 136,500 miles on our 94 ls 400 makes me all warm inside...lol...good luck everyone and keep it going..with proper maintance and upkeep we might have found the secret to eternal life..( bet if they ever found the fountain of youth it has a lexus emblem on it...lmao)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If American cars even approached the reliability and durability of Asian cars then few Americans would even consider buying Asian cars.  Therefore ever since the early 1970's the Asians have had no choice but to build MUCH more reliable and durable cars in order to penetrate the North American and other world markets which were dominated for decades by GM and Ford. 

The Annual Auto Issue of Consumer Reports is on the newstands right now and contains a list of about 175 reliable used cars for used car shoppers to consider buying.  Of these 175 reliable used cars, 90% are Asian cars, the other 10% American and European.  There is also a list of over 100 Used Cars to Avoid because of poor reliability. Guess what car is on that list? Yep, the Ford Contour.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

im sure it is, many of them had problems, the point is that those problems couldhave been lessened and even eliminated with regular maintenance. the problem with those statistics is they are based off of whatthe avergae consumer writes or says about the car, and guess what else...the average consumer doesnt maintain there car anywhere near to what they should.

ever wonder why, after the warranty is upon a car, the problems begin to arise? MAINTENANCE ISNT BEING PERFORMED IN A TIMELY MANNER ANY LONGER. the notices stop coming in the mail from the dealer saying its time for the car to be brougth in for maintenance.

the 3 things the average customer worries about after the warranty period:

Are my brakes working?

Do i have Fuel?

and is my oil change current.

americans dont care what causes the problems, only that there is one.

and its people like you that hurt the sales of american cars. they arent all piles fo *BLEEP*. there are good ones out there.

i simply use my contour as an example because it didnt fit the norm. the only MAJOR problem on the contours i know of (and i know the chief engineer of the CDW-27 project personally) were the early and chronic automatic transaxle failures. while that is pretty major, it isnt ANYTHING a little routine maint. and prudence in driving manner couldnt eliminate completely. the reason mine didnt have the problem? it had the 5 spd that woudl hold 500 HP on stock parts. ford didnt design it to be a race car, when people hammer it like it is one, things will eventually break. that goes for toyota as well.

i know of 2 people who have over 500,000 miles on their automatic ford contours and mercury mystiques, and even a few cougar owners with over 250K. the cougar is after all, a 2 door contour. suspension, frame, engine transaxle they are all thesame. the only thing different is the body and interior.

and guess what else is on that list you menitoned?

the 1993 toyota celica, trannies and headgaskets were common. for no apparent reason.

you arent going to sell me on this american cars are pieces of *BLEEP* campaign, so dont even try.

not all japanese cars are good cars either.

whatever you say guys, i know enough to trust my own experience, your narrowmindedness wil only hurt you in the long run. there are many many great american cars out there, and you will never get to experience them the way i have and do... i feel sorry for you. ;)

oh,and what is it with you and consumer reports? they arent perfect. and they arent the bible when it comes to cars. i would get a wider variety of sources before attacking something like this. would this happen to be the same place that told you the camshaft seals and struts would last 360,000 miles?:whistles: if so, i would find yet another source.

oh, BTW, you know the Mazda6? yeah, the one with the incredible reliability record?

Guess what it has? the same exact compnents of the CDW-27, with a mazda body/interior and a few badges...the rest is the same as a contour SVT with the exception of the 3.0L V6, which is a taurus engine. the tranny and suspension come straight from the contor and i have seen this engine swapped into a contour on numerous occasions. i have even done 3 myself and had them from engine to engine (removal and renistallation) in less than 8 hours. figure that one out and then get back to me.

till then...peace out.

EDIT:

BOT, the LS4 i mentioned in this thread earlier? it turned over 400,000 miles yesterday as the owner pulled into the parking lot. nothing like seeing an odometer reading 400,000.

Your somewhat right by saying that it still comes down to routine maint. But then why do american car companies consistently receive lower rankings than their japanese counterparts when it comes to build quality and reliability?

The answer is that American car companies cannot afford the same research and development that a japanese car company can. The COST (R&D, Labor, cost of materials) to make each car in America is considerably higher than in Japan. So everything from the amount of time for research and development to the quality of the materials used in the car are not as good as a Japanese brand. This is not my opinion its simple economics.

For example PSYCHICALLY look at and inspect the quality of a Ford focus to a Toyota corolla. In the toyota the quality is just better (body panel lines, fit and finish, sound construction) Don't take it from me GO to your local dealership.

Routine maint. is good because it helps your car stay running in good condition, but if your engine is made for poor quality materials you can only do so much to keep it running.

Now I am all for American products, BUT I am also for getting the best product for my money. If I'm not mistaken that is what drives capitalism, companies competing with each other to sell a better product at a lower cost.

I own a 98 Lexus LS400 and so far I have nothing repaired on it, not 1 problem. Before I bought the Lexus I looked at Chryslers, lincolns, and cadillacs. In my search it was OBVIOUS that the Lexus had superior qualities all around, so why waste my money on an inferior product?

I think people NEED to bash American car companies. Its their fault for having such a bad reputation, and their greed has all but bankrupted them. If we bash them MAYBE they will wake up and start building cars up to par with the rest of the world!!

400,000 miles on any car is damn good, but how many Ls4's make it to that. For Lexus that is in the DNA of the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased my 92 Lexus a few weeks ago with about 170,000 miles for a winter car and put the Porsche away. I am so impressed with this car. It is smooth as silk and I just love driving it. The day I purchased the car all I hoped to do was to get through the winter with it. However after driving this car for a few weeks and reading about all of the high mile cars I have changed my expectations. As a result, I may not be in such a hurry to get the sports car out in the spring next year. I am truely impressed with the engineering in this fine car.

Welcome to the LOC. The excellence of these fine automobiles, while not quite legendary, is something close. My son who now has his learner's permit can easily make the distinction between my old '92 ls400 with a quarter million+ miles on her, and his mom's 2 year old VW wagon. Quote; 'dad, your car is just way smoother'. Her hackles go up when she hears that, so the boy just keeps it between he and I....

;)

The level of refinement in my mind, IS legendary.

My '95 made it up to 315,000 miles when I sold it, and I suspect that the only thing that will take it out of commission is a crash. It was an absolutely fabulous car to own and drive. I came really close to putting 100,000 miles on it in the 4 years I owned it, and it never gave me any serious trouble. I love my '99, but seeing these pics from when I cleaned-up the '95 one last time sure does make me miss that wonderful old car!

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1991 LS400. I thought I was doomed after smacking a deer 2 weeks ago...354,290 miles with no indications of quiting anytime soon. I found a used grill and light assembly on e-bay. $200 and back in business. The light assembly was pushed back into the electric fan, but I just cleaned out the broken pieces so the fan could run free again. The hood needed a little pushing here and there to get it to line up with the fenders again, not perfect, but very tolerable. It could have been much worse. This car had it's first engine light about 2 months ago (O2 sensors replaced). Come on 400,000.

1991 LS400. Come on 400,000.

Call your local lexus dealer and ask what all comes with the 400K mile service, and also how much they charge. :D

My plan (when it should have 500,000) is to pull into Lexus and tell the sales person I want to trade it in. Just to see his jaw hit the floor. Then I'll pitch them a rental agreement to have my car in the showroom as a testimonial. Pretty easy sale when you can point to one and say "original drivetrain".

• 3 weeks later...