Highest Mileage

maxed_out

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 1997 LS 400 with just over 85,000 miles. I just replaced the struts and springs and now it deels better than new.

Welcome back Mark!!! :D You had better get busy with only 85k on the clock! :lol: j/k

• 4 weeks later...
Built right here at home in Kansas City...care to take another stab?:whistles:

Your 1995 Ford Contour's Z-Tec 4 cylinder engine was Designed by Ford of Europe, not by American Ford engineers http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/F/Ford-Zetec-engine.htm The hydraulic valve lifters of your engine (prior to 1998) were a source of mechanical trouble.

first off, its Zetec, not Z-tec.

secondly, it was cheifly designed there, but all major components were built here and the car was COMPLETLY assembled here.

I have never heard of a hydraulic valve lifter going out on a pre 98 contour. EVER. i have been around and involved with them since the mondeo's debut. My family is friends with one of the chief designers of the CDW-27.

It is the amercian version of a car that was marketed around the world, and each country that had it had different design cues. the only known/admitted mechanical trouble from this car from 1995-1997 were the chronic Auto trans failures on V6 equipped vehicles. basically a differential problem to start with. became a tranny problem almost instantly.

never happened to me, i didnt have an auto trans.

DO NOT lecture me on this car, i know more about it than you care to realize.

oh, and the engines were assembled on site at KC.

BOT, i have noticed the LS's with higher miles, tend to be more than everywhere LOL. I have also noticed that the 95's tend to be the most drvein out fo all the gens. i saw a 95 today with over 280K on it.

the engines were assembled on site at KC.

The LS engines assembled at KC? Or are you talking about the ford? Because I’m sure my car was built and assembled in Japan, (other then the usual door jam sticker) I even have the port entry documents. Which looks very cool if I may add, just like my old highschool deploma :D

Built right here at home in Kansas City...care to take another stab?:whistles:

Your 1995 Ford Contour's Z-Tec 4 cylinder engine was Designed by Ford of Europe, not by American Ford engineers http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/F/Ford-Zetec-engine.htm The hydraulic valve lifters of your engine (prior to 1998) were a source of mechanical trouble.

first off, its Zetec, not Z-tec.

secondly, it was cheifly designed there, but all major components were built here and the car was COMPLETLY assembled here.

I have never heard of a hydraulic valve lifter going out on a pre 98 contour. EVER. i have been around and involved with them since the mondeo's debut. My family is friends with one of the chief designers of the CDW-27.

It is the amercian version of a car that was marketed around the world, and each country that had it had different design cues. the only known/admitted mechanical trouble from this car from 1995-1997 were the chronic Auto trans failures on V6 equipped vehicles. basically a differential problem to start with. became a tranny problem almost instantly.

never happened to me, i didnt have an auto trans.

DO NOT lecture me on this car, i know more about it than you care to realize.

oh, and the engines were assembled on site at KC.

BOT, i have noticed the LS's with higher miles, tend to be more than everywhere LOL. I have also noticed that the 95's tend to be the most drvein out fo all the gens. i saw a 95 today with over 280K on it.

the engines were assembled on site at KC.

The LS engines assembled at KC? Or are you talking about the ford? Because I’m sure my car was built and assembled in Japan, (other then the usual door jam sticker) I even have the port entry documents. Which looks very cool if I may add, just like my old highschool deploma :D

I was referringt o the ford...sorry for the confusion.

• 1 month later...

I could probably go in for the lowest mileage. Just got it imported from Japan still LHD though. 1990 model. Only has 65,000km (39000Miles) on it.

Every possible JAPANESE option installed. Amazing car. Owned by some elderly people in Japan so condition is amazing.

I have 93k on my 93 LS400. Personally I have put about 400 of the greatest miles on her.. I LOVE MY LEXUS

As for the Ford Contour.. Piece of shi.... I enjoyed it but everything broke.. At 60k tranni from there I did put a 100k more miles on car, but consistent bills with no ac. Now that I have a LEXUS I realize I had that car for too long. At 170k my engine developed a crack in the head.

Cheers, Chris

Just bought a mint 98 LS400 with 87.000 on the clock. Also am running a Toyota Previa with 198,000 and a Corolla Wagon with 127,000. Talked to a guy 3 months ago that had 550,000 on his Previa. Plan to get 300+ on my Lexus.

Hello everyone,

Some of you have been talking about the reliability of Japanese cars, and I agree that they’re very reliable. But, are Japanese cars more reliable in every aspect? I own a ’91 Saab with almost 200K and have driven it 3 times with the coolant boiling and nothing happened to the engine. Can you do this in a Japanese car? Also, my Saab has tougher suspension components than my LS400. Furthermore, I think it’s not enough to talk about reliability and neglect the cost of repair including parts.

:) hey Bossman I'm a relocated Torontonian and I figured you can answer this question probably better than anyone- how does the LS handle in the snow? Does the snow button on the tranny help?

:cheers: 1990 lS400 170,000 miles

2002 LS430 60,000 miles.

Engine and Transmission on the 90 feel new. The car has a leaking Rack and Pinion and thats about it. The repairs I have done:

$3000 A/C

and the rest of the items were all normal wear and tear such as brakes, fluids, ball joints and CV boot rubber. I had the car since 120,000 miles and plan on keeping it till it dies.

Jacop.. I guess if you take any car to a car dealer you will pay triple the amount you could get it done for.. Example 93 dash lighting issue.. Send to Jim Walker $250 or LEXUS $1200. Timing belt generic mechanic $400 or LEXUS $1200. Power steering pump Generic $450 or LEXUS $1200..

Now the front end is expensive and requires work.. Parts about $1500 for both sides and then generic labor maybe $800 vs LEXUS $2000+. After this you have a new car for 100k miles.

I agree LEXUS costs money to maintain, but what does not?? A MB or BMW..? Luxury that break down far more then the LEXUS.. My friends and family own both and its interesting to hear their stories how many times there in the shop..

Also I dont think I am going to test my engine on boiling anti freeze.. Also my mother has a new convertable SAAB and its kewl, but I like my LEXUS.. On top of that a 92-98 SAAB looks like crap..

• 3 months later...

'92 SC400 (370,000 km)

'91 LS400 (214,000 km)

Previous:

'92 Base model Camry (455,000 km - didn't die, sold it to buy SC)

'89 MR2 Supercharged (265,000 km - ran a .1 sec faster 1/4 mile than factory)

I didn't read the whole post but when figuring reliablilty, repair costs, etc. etc. you need to look at the big picture. Sure joe blow got 450,000 km on a 5.0L mustang, and maybe somebody somewhere bought a lemon camry once. The bottom line is the current NEW car manufacturer/nameplate with the fewest problems per hundred cars is Lexus. Period.

Now for old cars, well I've owned 8 Toyotas to date, maybe I'm biased, but I also never had a major issue with any of them. I've worked on a lot of cars, my sisters BMW, all my toyota/lexus', some of the trucks at the company I work for, my brothers and aunts Chryslers...

Anyway, needless to say when I look at the design of parts on other cars I say to myself "what were they thinking" and when I'm working on a toy/lex I think "now that's engineering...". And that's why I drive a Lexus. About the only non-toy car I would buy is the Lotus Elise. :)

Aaron