Need Advice

At 37,000 miles on my Turanzo ER30 tires,the time has come for replacement. I have read reviews of the different brands that are similar to OEM and I'm still confused. I did try to order Kumho ESCTA KH11 summer tires but they continue to be out of stock.

I'm a senior with average driving habits, meaning I go with the flow on inter-state highways,toll roads etc. I live in Florida and have no need for an all season tire but if it's a good performance tire and would compliment the handling ability of my GS300 so much the better.

I don't need a top of the line 2 or 3 hundred dollar tire but somewhere in the middle that will give me about 40,000 miles wear and be similar or better than the Turanzo ER30's. I know there are knowledgeable members on this forum that can give me good advice.

Thanks

Bigapopka

Hey bigapopka :D

You only need to post something once. We're not ignoring you, someone will answer you question. While you're waiting you can always search, i just did and found some info about what tires to look for. look for sweet teas post titled "need tires B4 inspection".

At 37,000 miles on my Turanzo ER30 tires,the time has come for replacement. I have read reviews of the different brands that are similar to OEM and I'm still confused. I did try to order Kumho ESCTA KH11 summer tires but they continue to be out of stock.

I'm a senior with average driving habits, meaning I go with the flow on inter-state highways,toll roads etc. I live in Florida and have no need for an all season tire but if it's a good performance tire and would compliment the handling ability of my GS300 so much the better.

I don't need a top of the line 2 or 3 hundred dollar tire but somewhere in the middle that will give me about 40,000 miles wear and be similar or better than the Turanzo ER30's. I know there are knowledgeable members on this forum that can give me good advice.

Thanks

Bigapopka

I'm facing the same dilema with our "new to us" GS300. We've had the car only a few days and find the previous owner's Michelin Pilot XGT V4 tires to be way toooooo noisy on rough roads. They are smooth riding, positive steering, perfectly balanced, and as near as I can tell, perfectly round, but oh my the noise on rough surfaces. Our driving style is similar to yours and I put Yokohama Avid Touring tires on our SC300 and I have to say they were great! They were very round (as opposed to slightly out of round), held a balance well, wore evenly, were good in the handling dry and wet department, were comfortable riding and QUIET! The Pilot XGT V4's appear to have about 2/3 tread remaining, but I am seriously considering taking them off the GS300 and putting on some Yokohama's. Check out www.tirerack.com for product reviews and tests for numerous tire models. I'd like to hear what you choose.

Thanks

Bigapopka

What is the exact tire size you need Big? Just so you know, if you want longer mileage & still get good handling & wet weather performance, a high performance 'all season' would be the better overall value to be honest. Let me know your tire size & I'll give you your best choices. B)

:cheers:

WHATEVER YOU DO, don't make the same mistake that I did and put less than "V" rated tires on the car. I put some H rated Firestone Affinity LH30's on and immediately lost my cornering abilities. The tires, otherwise are perfect; super sticky in all climates and EERILY silent. But I digress. Go to tirerack dot com and check out the Yokohama AVS dB S2. Yokohama's quietest Ultra High Performance tire, and still the are priced very reasonably with good reviews. BF Goodrich Traction TA/H (V Speed) are also an excellent choice (and carried by Sam's Club cheap!). I'm assuming you're going with something that is close to stock size. Tirerack is a great place for research, even if you don't buy them there.

Guru Member

Tire size is P215/60/16 V I have the OE Turanza ER30 with 37K miles and they appeared to be good but I'm not a spirited driver. However the reviews for the Turanza's are not too good, so I'm puzzled as to what tires to buy. Reading reviews is like listening to my kids in the seventy's telling what happened to the family car they smashed up, too many different stories.

Guru Member

Tire size is P215/60/16 V I have the OE Turanza ER30 with 37K miles and they appeared to be good but I'm not a spirited driver. However the reviews for the Turanza's are not too good, so I'm puzzled as to what tires to buy. Reading reviews is like listening to my kids in the seventy's telling what happened to the family car they smashed up, too many different stories.

lol Big. B) I agree with mity's comments about sticking with a V speed rated tire when it comes to a vehicle like the GS (although you did mention your not a spirited driver so if you went down one speed rating to H, you won't notice much of a difference). I personally would stay away from both Bridgestone & Firestone tires......there are far better choices out there for less money. B) My suggestion for you in the 215 60 16 size are:

- Falken Ziex ZE-512. Awesome high performance all season tire & if you do a search in the tire section on this site & CL (clublexus.com) I have recommended these to many members & my wife has them on her vehicle as well. Nothing but very positive feedback from everyone thus far. 60,000 mile warranty, Treadwear 420, Traction A & Temperature A. Fantastic traction, especially in heavy rain fall with a quiet & comfortable ride. This is your best bet for overall value. Your probably looking around $75 a tire roughly give or take. This is a much better value overall then any summer tire can offer without sacrificing any performance or handling characteristic with longer mileage. ;)

www.falkentire.com Select tires, then 'all season performance' to see the tire up close.

- Toyo Proxes TPT. Also a 60,000 mile warranty with a Treadwear rating of 400, Traction A & Temperature A. You mentioned that snow is not a concern to you.....well this is a very good all season performance tire with excellent wet weather traction (I have these currently on my ES 300). I have been very happy with them overall, but in certain type of snow, I agree with other members that they are not the best for those conditions. That aside, every other aspect they deliver & are a very good choice. My guess is they will be slightly over the $100 a piece mark. www.toyo.com

- Yokohama AVS db S2. No personal experence, however several members have them & are quite pleased with there performance. Slightly less treadwear then the others I mentioned at 320 with Traction rating of A & Temperature rating of A. They will be fairly close in price to the Toyo's I'm guessing.

My top pick by far would be the Falkens & you can do a search about what others have said about them. You won't go worng nor be disappointed with this choice. I have them on my 'short list' when my current Toyo's need replacement. Don't forget to get a 4 wheel alignment when your get your new tires installed. I hope this helps......any other questions, feel free to ask. B) Good Luck & keep us posted what you decide. ;)

Guru Member

Thanks for the info. Busy taking care of "honey do's" right now but will follow your suggestions and see if that will get the job done.

again

thanks

Happy to help & keep us posted what you decide. B) It's Lexusfreak btw (guru member is just my 'skill' level on this site thus far lol :lol: ;) ) Good Luck. Have a very close look at those Falken Ziex ZE-512 I mentioned on their website. I suspect in the end, that will be you best choice of everything available for your GS.

I agree with Lexusfreak on the tire selection. I have had Michelin pilots , Bridgestone potenza pole positions, and dunlops. The ones I was most diappointed in was the bridgestones. Those were like 180 each and they did have unbelievable traction, but they wore out so damn quick and were loud and caused a harsh ride.

I decided to go with Falken 512's this time and they were only like 90 each, and they are so QUIET ! Can't even hear them at all, plus great traction. Plus the tread design looks really sweet when you are looking at the car from the rear. The ride quality is that much better seriously. The guy from NTB tried to talk me out of them, but I didn't listen. (he wanted to sell a more expensive tire) Glad I didn't listen!

Research them on tirerack.com , and compare the characteristics of the tire, (treadwear, temperature, traction, speed rating) , and compare this all the other tires on there and look at the cost. Best bang for the buck without a doubt.

Oh one more thing. When you get new tires put on, make sure that they put new valve stems on your tire. They used my old ones on my new tires and within the next 3 days I had 2 flats. One on the highway, and one in my garage. I was mad! I took it back and they said they accidentally used to old valve stems and that was causing it to leak. I shredded one of the tires on the highway (ruined the sidewall) and they replaced it, so they had to eat one of those tires for that mistake.

Check this out...I recently purchased a "Certified" GS 300. I didn't check out the tires too much except to see that they were new. After a few miles of driving, I noticed that they were loud! It turns out the dealer had put Bridgestone Insignia SEs on the car - S rated tires are about the cheapest you can get!

I tried to work with the dealer - they offered me a car wash. Big Deal! I was going to put new tires on myself and consequently have been following this thread, but I decided to call Lexus Customer Care today and they are going to talk with the dealer and let me know what can be done next week. Lexus agrees the tires should be "V" rated. I'll let you know if they step up to the plate and put new tires on and what kind they are.

Meanwhile, I have been researching tires and the Yoko AVIDs sound good. They come in H and V ratings. I'm not sure of the cost difference, but I wonder how they differ in ride, quietness, grip etc.

My only experience with Yokohamas has been with 50 series A008s on an RX-7. They were really grippy initially, like riding on rails, but got more slippery as they wore.

Any other opinions on the AVIDs?

One other thing Chaz -if the car you purchased is certified the absolutely should have made sure that the tires are appropriate for the car -not only the size but the speed rating. Speed rating of the tires is designed for the rest of the suspension tuning. If I were you I would threaten to speak with the Lexus coprporate office if they hedge on the tires. In fact, ask them to show the checklist for certification and I'm sure tire review is on there. They should be ashamed for trying to pawn off the car with those crappy tires on them. You see this kind of *BLEEP*e on ebay cars, not certified cars! Good luck and don't back down. A car wash...really...what do they think you are, an idiot? Sorry but it *BLEEP*es me off.

Check this out...I recently purchased a "Certified" GS 300. I didn't check out the tires too much except to see that they were new. After a few miles of driving, I noticed that they were loud! It turns out the dealer had put Bridgestone Insignia SEs on the car - S rated tires are about the cheapest you can get!

I tried to work with the dealer - they offered me a car wash. Big Deal! I was going to put new tires on myself and consequently have been following this thread, but I decided to call Lexus Customer Care today and they are going to talk with the dealer and let me know what can be done next week. Lexus agrees the tires should be "V" rated. I'll let you know if they step up to the plate and put new tires on and what kind they are.

Meanwhile, I have been researching tires and the Yoko AVIDs sound good. They come in H and V ratings. I'm not sure of the cost difference, but I wonder how they differ in ride, quietness, grip etc.

My only experience with Yokohamas has been with 50 series A008s on an RX-7. They were really grippy initially, like riding on rails, but got more slippery as they wore.

Any other opinions on the AVIDs?

my avids went to *BLEEP* after 15,000 miles:

DCP02367.sized.jpg

horrible tires. they had ZERO traction in rain and snow and sidewalls were stiff. the only thing they had going for them was they were farily quiet.

Army- I've never seen a tire like that. If the tire wore more on the outside, I would say the alignment was off, but in the photo it appears that the tread is at the same depth all across the suface. It looks like the tire seperated down the middle since one whole side is higher than the other. Am I seeing this right?

Mity- I called Lexus last Friday. They will speak to the dealer and get back to me in a couple of working days.

Army- I've never seen a tire like that. If the tire wore more on the outside, I would say the alignment was off, but in the photo it appears that the tread is at the same depth all across the suface. It looks like the tire seperated down the middle since one whole side is higher than the other. Am I seeing this right?

Mity- I called Lexus last Friday. They will speak to the dealer and get back to me in a couple of working days.

you are sir, there si a bubble in the tire. It covers an area of about 6 inches long. when discount tire takes it off on thursday, i will ask to keep it and inspect the inside. i will PM you withthe results.

the tread was worn fairly evenly.