Gs 400 Windshield Replacement

Rock that hit windshield ultimately caused a 12 inch crack in the windshield. Safety inspection guidelines indicate I will have to replace the windshield. Called one Lexus dealer who said that they did not replace windshields but recommended a glass shop. Shop said they could replace with PPG glass for $275; Lexus windshield replacement would be $900. Guy claims there's no difference except that you don't get the Lexus etching on the windshield. Since mine is a 2000, the glass says Toyota, so why do I care what it says.

Anyone have any reason why the PPG is not appropriate for the GS?

agreed if not oem PPG is very good and that price is also amazing

But don;t you have a windsheild pemium on your insurance to cover it ?

But i still prefer OEM , they resist cracking from rocks but then again it also depends on how well seated the windsheild is at the time of curing for a reduction of stress points

One very overlooked thing about replacing a windsheild is the trim.

Many companies use a basic black rubber seal instead of the proper rain gutters chromed .

Find out if they can remove them without damaging it or if it inculdes a replacment set.

agreed if not oem PPG is very good and that price is also amazing

But don;t you have a windsheild pemium on your insurance to cover it ?

But i still prefer OEM , they resist cracking from rocks but then again it also depends on how well seated the windsheild is at the time of curing  for a reduction of stress points

One very overlooked thing about replacing a windsheild is the trim.

Many companies use a basic black rubber seal instead of the proper rain gutters chromed .

Find out if they can remove them without damaging it or if it inculdes a replacment set.

This is VERY helpful and I will check all this out. ap

Sk reminded me, many times the installer willl use a universal or generic trim or seal. Try to reuse or get an OEM trim or seal.

Previous post stated: "Many companies use a basic black rubber seal instead of the proper rain gutters chromed."

Is this any different from your point about an OEM trim or seal.

Got to say all you guys have really been helpful on this. Although I have comprehensive, I fear the insurance company might not pay for the Lexus glass. But will check in, just in case. ap

One thing you might want to consider is resale value. I know I always check all the glass to make sure it is original when I look at buying a car. If there is a pane that isn't, I wonder if the car has been wrecked, vandalized, and painted somewhere also. It's a red flag for me. You also might want to check with Lexus regarding the properties of the glass. Lexus has a higher UV value than most glass, and a dealer once told me that it also has a "rain repellent" quality built in although this sounds a little fishy, but I could swear my GS winshield looks like someone has just applied Rain-X. You Lexus experts might be able to help with that notion. Good luck.:cheers:

One thing you might want to consider is resale value.  I know I always check all the glass to make sure it is original when I look at buying a car.  If there is a pane that isn't, I wonder if the car has been wrecked, vandalized, and painted somewhere also.  It's a red flag for me.  You also might want to check with Lexus regarding the properties of the glass.  Lexus has a higher UV value than most glass, and a dealer once told me that it also has a "rain repellent" quality built in although this sounds a little fishy, but I could swear my GS winshield looks like someone has just applied Rain-X.  You Lexus experts might be able to help with that notion.  Good luck.:cheers:

Will check out the "rain repellent" theory. As to different glass affecting resale value, I assume that the glass from Lexus will be etched with the Lexus name on the glass. My 2000 GS glass all has Toyota etchings; I do not think they started to etch the Lexus name in until 2001. Therefore, it is going to be noticeable that the windshield differs from the other glass. Thanks. ap