Interior Dome Light Does Not Work

gazhalim

Hey guys, I just got my used 91 LS400 and got it parked in the garage so that I can work on it, untill i sell my current car. Anyways, a couple of things I've noticed, and you guys will probably laugh at this, but I was wondering if you have any information/tips:

It seems as if I have a light on my cluster indicating something is up with my rear brake lights, but they all seem to light up fine. I did a search on this forum and it seems that the light might be fine but that it needs to be adjusted?

I have a TRAC off light on my cluster, but when I hit the TRAC off button by the ashtray, nothing happens. Also, the ashtray doesn't pull out, you need to use a penny to "pry" it open.

The Interiror Dome Light does not work at all!!! The right and left passenger "reading" lights do, but the dome will not light up at all. How do you go about even looking at the bulb? I read this:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...or++Dome++light

but am not sure how to even attempt to look/replace the bulb.

Besides that, I am extremely satisfied with the car. I'm used to driving 4bangers my whole life, and am surprised by the smooth ride on this. Also, the Nakamichi sounds are nice, but I'm gonaa be putting in my Sony MEX-1HD headunit and my 12" JL audio W7 subwoofer and amp.

Any thoughts/suggestions for a newbie? Thanks in advance for your time.

Gaz

Check out lexls.com for info on swapping out head units - it's kind of a bummer, but you lose the sub. The tutorial (and others shown on that site) is very informative, and lets you know what you can/can't do currently.

The ash tray should come out if you push on it. Push in to latch, push again to unlatch. It might take a decent shove to get it to come out, but you shouldn't have to pry unless it's broken.

The TRAC light on your cluster is actually telling you that there's an error code you need to read related to the traction control module. I've attached a picture with the slots you need to connect with a jumper (paperclips work great) on the diagnostic port located under the dash on the driver side of the car.

To get the code: Turn the ignition to "on", but don't start the car. Open your hood, and while facing the car, look for the black plastic box on the left forward part of the engine bay. Pull the box off (it's hooked in the front and back, but my back hooks don't really hold it on - hopefully you can just use a screwdriver to push back the tab and lift it off. There's a service connector that needs to be disconnected (see atttached pic). Using the jumper, connect the two terminals Tc and E1 shown in the first picture attached.

Look at the dash and the TRAC light will be blinking. It will blink 1-9 times and then pause for 1.5 seconds , then blink another 1-9 times, then pause for 2.5 or 4 seconds. Count the number of times it flashes, and that's your error code (ex: 2 flashes followed by 4 flashes is code 24). More than one code may come out, and that's when the TRAC light will only pause 2.5 seconds. It will display the codes in cardinal order, so error code 19 will be displayed before 20.

I usually watch the display twice to make sure I got everything. Once you're done, disconnect the terminal and turn the key to "off". Make sure you re-connect the service connector under your hood.

Let me know when you get the codes and I'll check them against the diagnostic list here. Or, you can probably find one on the net if you don't want to wait for a reply.

Welcome to the LS400 family!

post-15234-1110403347_thumb.jpgpost-15234-1110403354_thumb.jpg

Stupid question, but should I connect E1 from the picture on the left to E1 from the picture on the right and Tc from the picture on the left to Tc from the picture on the right, or connect TC to E1? Thanks a lot for replying back to me, Im gonna start work on this tomorrow.

Check out lexls.com for info on swapping out head units - it's kind of a bummer, but you lose the sub.  The tutorial (and others shown on that site) is very informative, and lets you know what you can/can't do currently.

The ash tray should come out if you push on it.  Push in to latch, push again to unlatch.  It might take a decent shove to get it to come out, but you shouldn't have to pry unless it's broken.

The TRAC light on your cluster is actually telling you that there's an error code you need to read related to the traction control module.  I've attached a picture with the slots you need to connect with a jumper (paperclips work great) on the diagnostic port located under the dash on the driver side of the car. 

To get the code:  Turn the ignition to "on", but don't start the car.  Open your hood, and while facing the car, look for the black plastic box on the left forward part of the engine bay.  Pull the box off (it's hooked in the front and back, but my back hooks don't really hold it on - hopefully you can just use a screwdriver to push back the tab and lift it off.  There's a service connector that needs to be disconnected (see atttached pic).  Using the jumper, connect the two terminals Tc and E1 shown in the first picture attached. 

Look at the dash and the TRAC light will be blinking.  It will blink 1-9 times and then pause for 1.5 seconds , then blink another 1-9 times, then pause for 2.5 or 4 seconds.  Count the number of times it flashes, and that's your error code (ex: 2 flashes followed by 4 flashes is code 24).  More than one code may come out, and that's when the TRAC light will only pause 2.5 seconds.  It will display the codes in cardinal order, so error code 19 will be displayed before 20. 

I usually watch the display twice to make sure I got everything.  Once you're done, disconnect the terminal and turn the key to "off".  Make sure you re-connect the service connector under your hood.

Let me know when you get the codes and I'll check them against the diagnostic list here.  Or, you can probably find one on the net if you don't want to wait for a reply.

Welcome to the LS400 family!

post-15234-1110403347_thumb.jpgpost-15234-1110403354_thumb.jpg