Dash Rattles

ROSS

HOPING FOR SOME HELP. I HAVE A 2003 LS430 AND IT HAS SOME DASH

RATTLES. BEEN TO THE SHOP TWICE, BUT THEY HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIX IT.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE "FACE PLATE" THAT IS AROUND

THE NAVIGATION UNIT? I BELIEVE IF I COULD GET THAT OFF, I COULD LOCATE

THE RATTLE.

I also have a dash rattle sound on a 92 LS400. I was told by Belle Lexus that they would need to change the steering counsel that would be $500!!! to replace to get rid of the sound! From what the guy said, there are teflon ballbearings or something like that that wear out and that they need to be changed. He said that they typically go out at about 150K. Is this a fix that I can do myself? It sounds like a card that has been put in the spokes in a bike. Soft, but I do hear the sound and it gets faster, the faster I go. It starts when I get up at about 5 mph and then gets to a constant "click" sound.

I would guess that you could just "pry" it off, but I would not try this until you know for sure.

I think it is unacceptable for a 2003 car to have an interior rattle- especially a Lexus.

I remember I was so impressed with my 1990 LS400 when I first got it, because it was so squeak and rattle free. Unfortunately, that rapidly changed when I started using a certain interior care product on the dash pad. It was supposed to be for leather interior, but I was thinking it would be OK on vinyl too. It hardened and it started making "pop" noises when I would hit bumps, then the right front window developed a rattle. I am still not sure if that actually hardened the interior panels, but strange that the vinyl hardened after the application. I guess it was still squeak free, because most of the noises were "pops" and the only rattle was the door window. Now that I recall, I do remember a slight rattle/click from the passenger "B" pillar and when I would put the right rear window up after being rolled down, it would make an occasional "ticking" sound for a few minutes. :unsure:

I am very thankful that my 92' Acura Legend is still 100% squeak, rattle and "pop" free, so I will be sure to never use that product on that car, or any of my cars, just to be safe.

Good luck on getting that rattle fixed.

I also have a dash rattle sound on a 92 LS400.  I was told by Belle Lexus that they would need to change the steering counsel that would be $500!!! to replace to get rid of the sound!  From what the guy said, there are teflon ballbearings or something like that that wear out and that they need to be changed.  He said that they typically go out at about 150K.  Is this a fix that I can do myself?  It sounds like a card that has been put in the spokes in a bike.  Soft, but I do hear the sound and it gets faster, the faster I go.  It starts when I get up at about 5 mph and then gets to a constant "click" sound.

I would guess that you could just "pry" it off, but I would not try this until you know for sure. 

I think it is unacceptable for a 2003 car to have an interior rattle- especially a Lexus. 

I remember I was so impressed with my 1990 LS400 when I first got it, because it was so squeak and rattle free.  Unfortunately, that rapidly changed when I started using a certain interior care product on the dash pad.  It was supposed to be for leather interior, but I was thinking it would be OK on vinyl too.  It hardened and it started making "pop" noises when I would hit bumps, then the right front window developed a rattle.  I am still not sure if that actually hardened the interior panels, but strange that the vinyl hardened after the application.   

My 1992 Acura Legend is still 100% squeak and rattle free, as well as free of "pops", so I will be sure to never use that product on that car, just to be safe.

Good luck on getting that rattle fixed. 

I also have a dash rattle sound on a 92 LS400.  I was told by Belle Lexus that they would need to change the steering counsel that would be $500!!! to replace to get rid of the sound!  From what the guy said, there are teflon ballbearings or something like that that wear out and that they need to be changed.  He said that they typically go out at about 150K.  Is this a fix that I can do myself?  It sounds like a card that has been put in the spokes in a bike.  Soft, but I do hear the sound and it gets faster, the faster I go.  It starts when I get up at about 5 mph and then gets to a constant "click" sound.

90, you are not the only one who has had the proeblem with "that product".

that product he is referring to is lexol (i believe that was you commenting on it in another thead anyways) and i woudlnt reccomend it for anything EXCPET leather. In my experience, it doesnt do vinyl much good...especially dashboards.

You are right Army- that was what I was referring to. I have no idea why I used that on the dash. I think if I recall, I had asked someone here about it before I bought it- when I was trying to find good conditioner for my seats. I think someone here told me it was OK to use on the dash (vinyl). :(

I still think that ruined my dash cover. <_<

that product he is referring to is lexol (i believe that was you commenting on it in another thead anyways) and i woudlnt reccomend it for anything EXCPET leather.  In my experience, it doesnt do vinyl much good...especially dashboards.

You are right Army- that was what I was referring to.  I have no idea why I used that on the dash.  I think if I recall, I had asked someone here about it before I bought it- when I was trying to find good conditioner for my seats.  I think someone here told me it was OK to use on the dash (vinyl).  :(

I still think that ruined my dash cover.  <_<

that product he is referring to is lexol (i believe that was you commenting on it in another thead anyways) and i woudlnt reccomend it for anything EXCPET leather.  In my experience, it doesnt do vinyl much good...especially dashboards.

yeah that want a good move, but we all make mistakes.

and one woudl assume it would also be ok for vinly when in fact it isnt....

its an easy mistake to make :)

there is a product floating around on ebay thats supposed to soften dashes up after years of sunlight exposure...look for that.

i forget the name.

for now, i would try a SMALL amount of baby oil in a corner somewhere...that may soften it back up.

To get the NAV diplay out. Pry off the driver and passenger TEMP buttons on the dash. Remove the 10mm bolts. Pry off the center console wood panel. Pry off the seat heater/suspension/sunshade button wood panel. remone screws behind that wood panel. Then remove the slide out card holder /CD changer panel. Remove 2 10mm bolts holding the bottom of the display. The NAV unit will now pull out.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, I sold the car a few months ago.

Good thing to remember for future reference though.

yeah that want a good move, but we all make mistakes.

and one woudl assume it would also be ok for vinly when in fact it isnt....

its an easy mistake to make :)

there is a product floating around on ebay thats supposed to soften dashes up after years of sunlight exposure...look for that.

i forget the name.

for now, i would try a SMALL amount of baby oil in a corner somewhere...that may soften it back up.